• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Deykin & Harrison Electroplaters - Jennens Row - Venetian Works

Raven8

Brummie babby
I'm just wondering if anyone would know where I would find out some more information about Deykin & Harrison - an electroplating company who were based in Jennens Row until around 1930.

My Gt Gt Grandfather was living at 1 Jennens Row on the 1911 census, he was described as a stationary engine driver, presumably for the engines that drove the factory? I'm thinking that he perhaps had to live on site to tend the engines or keep an eye on the works? I'm not sure. He was a metal roller before this on previous censuses.

A Grace's Guide entry of 1922 says -

of Jennens Row, Birmingham. T.A.: Electroplate, Birmingham

1922 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of everything in Medium-class Electro-Plate, including Spoons and Forks; also Sterling Silver. "Venetian Silver" and Britannia Metal Goods. (Stand No. D.13)

I have browsed the electroplate silver on Ebay with an idea to buying something from the factory from around the time my Gt Gt Grandfather worked there, haven't managed to see the right thing yet though (and that includes affordable...some of these things aren't so cheap!)

If anyone's interested, I'm attaching a postcard photo of the staff of Deykin & Harrison in 1912. It wasn't too small a business it seems!

Attachments

• D and H.jpg
    D and H.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 9
1895...Messrs Deykin and Sons, Jennens Row, taken into partnership with WA Harrison (for past 9 years MD of Messrs Barker Bros)

Back