• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Oak, Pritchett Street, Aston

Hi, I've only just joined this forum and I'm pretty sure that my grandfather owns the original, if not then a copy of the photo of this pub - because GH Ravenhall was my 2 x Gt Grandfather as well. I can confirm that it looks iffy because it's a photo of a photo! o_O:D
I've been trying to work out when it was bombed in WW2, it's not listed in Kelly's directory of 1943 - but I can see from a comment above that Kelly's only listed fully licensed premises so I probably wouldn't find it there anyway... Where would I find the beer retailers list for the 1940's? He was no longer landlord then, but would like to know when the poor building was bombed... Perhaps it had gone back to just being houses then though.

My Great grandfather is actually the lanky chap standing on the far right of the photo!

Raven
What makes you think it was bombed in the war? Kellys shows that by 1932 nos 114-115 were The electrical depot. The electoral roll shows no entry for no 115 after 1925. So it looks as if it ceased being a pub after 1925

Hi Mike, it's what my grandad told us, that the place was bombed. It stuck in my head from years ago. Google street view shows that there are only a couple of old buildings still there down Pritchett St, so I guess it probably was. I could ask again for more info, but grandad is in his 90's now and very deaf. Perhaps he still remembers though! :)

(My 2 x Gt Grandfather also ran a pub or pubs in Kidderminster around WW1, but I don't know the names of those)

Possibly there was bombing of the buildings, though 114-155 are still given as the electrical company in the 1943 Kellys, so, if so, they could only have been damaged, and the buildings no longer seem to have housed a pub since around 1925

Back