• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Nikki

1. N

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Hi, Just an update from post #140, the twinnings ghost sign in kings heath. Here is a picture of the shop in its full glory, when it was still a grocers Nikki
  2. N

Hi Viv, Just had a proper look the the Harry Smith building from the Great Hampton Road side and it does still appear to be open as a shop, so not too sure if that one counts as a ghost sign, oops!
  3. N

Another ghost sign, this time in Kings Heath, on the corner of silver street and fairfield road. Not a grocers anymore, but I remember it being a small family run grocers right up until the late 90's early 2000. It always looked so out of place with all the shops on the high street. There was...
  4. N

Hi, On a recent walk around Birmingham, I found this ghost sign on the corner or Key Hill and Great Hampton Street. Nikki
  5. N

Balsall Heath Road

Thanks for the info and map Mike. Have checked the street on the 1891 Census, but no luck unfortunately. It seems both parties were living away from their parents before marriage, presumably as borders next door to one another.
  6. N

Balsall Heath Road

Hi, I am trying to do a little further research into where my GG Grandparents lived and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me locate where on the Balsall Heath road the following were. In 1890 my GG Grandparents on their marriage certificate were listed as he living at No. 1 and her...
  7. N

VE Day on Arlington Road, Yardley wood

Im glad that this picture has bought back some memories for everyone! Thanks for letting me know it was taken in front of Highters Heath School, im not too familiar with the Yardley Wood area. My Great Nan and Grandad - Ella May and John McCormack lived on 22 Arlington Road for quite some...
  8. N

VE Day on Arlington Road, Yardley wood

I was recently going through some of my Great Aunts pictures, when I came across this picture taken with all the residents (including my Nan and 3 of her sisters) of Arlington Road on VE Day. Hope someone else can find a familiar face in this picture. Nikki
  9. N

Medlicott

Thank you for the link Leslam. Its all very interesting information. A actually saw this grave on one of the Birmingham city centre ghost tours (which is an excellent night out, to anyone wants to know more about the darker side of Birmingham's history) and have been quite intregued by it ever...
  10. N

Medlicott

Hi, Im just wondering if anyone else is looking for Medlicott Family living in the Balsall Heath, Birmingham area. I know that my GG Granddad Philip Henry Medlicott born in the back to backs of Benacre Street in 1869 to William and Amelia Medlicott. Philip Had several brothers and sisters (3...
Back