• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Balsall Heath Road

Nikki

proper brummie kid
Hi,

I am trying to do a little further research into where my GG Grandparents lived and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me locate where on the Balsall Heath road the following were.

In 1890 my GG Grandparents on their marriage certificate were listed as he living at No. 1 and her at no. 2 alley place, Balsall Heath Road. Would this have been a court?

In the 1891 Census they were listed as living at Lyttleton Place, Balsall Heath Road, (which was next to no. 260 BH Road on the census) Ive been told that there was a pub on the road called the Lyttleton and I wondered if this address could refer to the pub, or if there was a seperate court with the same name?

I know that this post is probably a long shot as I am talking about buildings that no longer exist, but i would be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on these addresses and where on the Balsall Heath Road they may have been.

Thank you.

Hi Nikki
Lyttleton place was leading off the south side of the road , further in that vincent terrace and vincent parade, as shown on th emap, where the houses are marked in red. I cannot find alley place (though there was a Lee terrace, but I can't see that being mistranscribed as alley place). It could be a court, or just a row of houses in the street. Before proper street numbering was introduced many roads were a series of separate groups of houses, each called XXX place or terrace or Cottages , and each separately numbered 1,2... These are often not listed in directories when normal numbering was introduced, even though the name was often inscribed somewhere. Before the wedding, were either living with family?. If so then the family might still live there in th e1891 census, and we could work out where it was from that.
PS. To help you see where you are, the road to the far right is moseley road

map_c_1889_Balsall_heath_road_showing_lyttleton_place.jpg

Thanks for the info and map Mike.

Have checked the street on the 1891 Census, but no luck unfortunately.

It seems both parties were living away from their parents before marriage, presumably as borders next door to one another.

Back