• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by fatmark

1. fatmark

South Birmingham Shops, Pubs and Garages

The picture Ivorbri is referring to is this one: https://www.photobydjnorton.com/BirminghamInColour.html#SellyOak He mailed me with this query and I managed to persuade him that it is Selly Oak as follows:- Dad was very thorough when it came to cataloguing his pictures and this slide had a...
  2. fatmark

At LONG LAST I've finally finished this section of my site with the addition of some great pictures of Selly Oak. Please see https://photobydjnorton.com/GTC/SellyOak.html Fat Mark
  3. fatmark

Just to update on this request... The pictures are from The Geoff Thompson Archive (a point I've now made more clearly on the pages in question) so I asked Geoff if he was happy for these pictures to be copied. He said "yes" and copies have now been sent to Local History. The source will be...
  4. fatmark

Thanks to those who replied to my query re modern views. Just for Anthea, Harborne now has the full set posted online! Don't forget that you may need to refresh your browser to see the update. Fat Mark
  5. fatmark

Blimey! It's funny how these old threads (I first posted back in Feb, hence the mix up over the Bromsgrove date) get resurrected... I'm upset with myself that I still haven't quite finished this section of my site as I need to get Selly Oak sorted. I will do it soon - promise. I'd like to...
  6. fatmark

City Centre Photographs

Re: City Centre Photo Album Arena Central - see https://www.arena-central.com/ Mixed use development, as is popular these days, so plenty more unaffordable and overpriced apartments! If all goes according to plan, it will include the V Building, Birmingham's next tallest building. Bring...
  7. fatmark

Where is this 53

That was another lucky one - I drove past the Kings Head yesterday! I was glad to see it re-open after being boarded up for a while... A handy hint for helping confirm guesses of photo locations, one I use a lot when working on my website - Google Maps satellite images are your friend! Check...
  8. fatmark

Where is this 53

The bus is parked on Lordswood Road just south of Hagley Road, Bearwood. The pub in the Kings Head. Fat Mark
  9. fatmark

Where is this? 52

I'm with Lloyd on this one - Groveley Lane. Fat Mark
  10. fatmark

Where is this? 51

I think this one is John Bright Street, looking towards Holloway Head. Fat Mark
  11. fatmark

Delving Round Digbeth

Fascinating trip, Peter. Thanks so much. I have to agree that there is much of interest in this part of town. I've attached some that caught my eye when I was walking around the city taking pictures for my book way back in April 2006. First one is a very ornate gents (closed of course) where...
  12. fatmark

Where is this 50

Wow! A prize! I think I'll have to give it a miss though. Fat Mark and chocolate - not a good combination... Please donate to a thin chocolate lover. Besides, this was an easy one as my dad took photos of this site so I could recognise it straight away. Have attached a colour view from 9th May...
  13. fatmark

Where is this 50

Looks like Rubery terminus to me! Replaced by the A38 flyover... Fat Mark
  14. fatmark

Where is This? 49

Was it down at Curzon Street Station? Fat Mark
  15. fatmark

Hello all I'm pleased to say that I've recently been able to add some more pictures to my website after a visitor got in touch and offered me access to his extensive collection of photographs of shops, pubs and garages. They mostly date from the 1950's and 1960's so should bring back some...
Back