• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this? 51

I guessed that could be a clue but not being a driver I don't know where the A38 is.

Well spotted, Michael (quiet cynical snigger)
But that's a good clue - the A38 from Birmingham ran out on Lichfield Road (northbound) and Bristol Road (southbound) but how did it pass through the city?
My guess is Stafford Street, this view looking away from Lancaster Place, towards Dale End.
The new Ford Prefect is c 1951-2 by it's registration, and the bus in the distance is one of the 100 Leyland PD2's delivered in 1949-50 (The rear destination is unusually above the lower of the 'tween-decks blue bands) so I would guess this view is one of probably hundreds taken near the end of the tramway system in 1952.

The Old Costitution Hill Going Down Towards Snow Hill Station ,
The Tram As Just Passed The Old Lucas,s And Heading Towards The City ,
And Will Shortlly Stopping By Kenyon Street Police Station ,;

It's car number 516 possibly a route 20/21 Station Street to Stratford Road travels away from Navigation Street, down John Bright Street.

The bomb damage is the corner of Hill Street & John Bright Street.

Area was badly bombed on 19/20 Nov. 1940 a landmine destroyed the pub The Malt Shovel on this island.

Hope this will put your mind at rest

The trams number is 7? which with my limited knowledge was given to trams on the north of the City. 3X trams were on the south (i think).

So it could be the city bound gravelly hill tram entering the centre on corporation street.

Fat Mark and Ray have got it! Well done. The tram is in John Bright Street heading out towards Horsefair and Bristol Road (A38) for Rednal or Rubery after leaving Navigation Street.

TOP OF HOCLEY HILL , JUST PASSED KEY HILL TRAVELLING PASS LUCAS,S
COMING TO HAMPTON ROW Ans Heading For The City Centre And Snow Hill ,

The only tram that ran down Streetly Road, Slade Road, Salford Bridge,
Lichfield Road and into the City was the No.78. Looks like part of Corporation Street to me. Is that the King's Market?

Back