• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by david roake

1. D

Birmingham boxers?

hello devonjim thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my post. i do know basic information on www.boxinghistory.org.uk as i know the bloke whos site it is. i will contact him after xmas for fuller details such as newspapers where information is contained. i have been collecting photos of...
  2. D

A Tidy up please

hello john bev im new on here and researching a bloke named jack costello a birmingham boxer who fought for the british middleweight title in 1908 while looking through the site i came across your photo that you wanted enhanced so i hope you dont mind me having a go at it ive just discovered...
  3. D

Jack costello

Thank you for taking the time to reply I do know the bloke at www.boxinghistory.org.uk Thanks anyway
  4. D

Len 'Tiger' Smith 1930's Birmingham boxer

hello Emmie im sure you have that photo but if you havent its a good copy. i believe i knew him as an older man in the 1970s i worked in central London and always went to The Stag pub in Victoria for my lunch and the 'potman' claimed to be Len (Tiger) Smith. i know my boxing and used to chat to...
  5. D

Len 'Tiger' Smith 1930's Birmingham boxer

to all on this thread im a new member on this site and not sure how it works. i was just browsing through and im sure you must have this photo by now but if you havent here it is
  6. D

Greenfield Alfred - 'Oxford & Cambridge' Inn

hi there lady penelope i thought i had sent this message earlier today but either i didnt press the send button or its got lost in the ether thank you for your message. i have to confess that despite collecting boxers photos for 50 years ive barely heard of joe woolley. i will have a look...
  7. D

Hi Mary Ellen, ive had a look and my photo of Charley Norton is a copy of the same one as on CBZ. Im sorry i couldnt come up with a rare find for you. i do know about the fulton history site and have been on it a couple of times but need to persevere a bit more to really understand how to get...
  8. D

Hello Mary Ellen Im afraid I cant tell you anything about my photo of Charley Norton. I have been collecting photos of boxers for 50 years now and have obtained them from all sorts of sources over the years. I have thousands of different boxers. The photo is in fighting stance from the waist up...
  9. D

Birmingham boxers?

hello to all on here interested in ex boxers from birmingham Im trying and have been for many years to find a photo of Jack Costello a Birmingham middleweight who fought for the British middleweight title in 1908 Any information to help me in my search would be gratefully received
  10. D

to all on this thread im a new member so not sure how this works. im looking to try and find a photo of Jack Costello, Birmingham middleweight who fought for the British title in about 1908. I do have photos of Len (Tiger) Smith who i believe someone was looking for and Alf Greenfield and Im...
  11. D

Jack costello

Im looking for a photo of Jack Costello, a Birmingham boxer around 1909 who boxed for the British middleweight title or any information to help me find a photograph of him Im new to the site and not sure how it works but noticed someone was looking for a photo of Len (Tiger) Smith. I do have a...
Back