• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Len 'Tiger' Smith 1930's Birmingham boxer

Lillian Harris was born in 1913, married Len (Leonard Horace Smith) on 6 August 1934, gave birth to my Mom (Mary Elizabeth Smith) on the 12 th April 1935 in Sowerby Bridge. Lillian was the daughter of Clement Harris and Clement was the son of Fred Harris. Lillian's mother was a Bottomley. I do not think Lillian had a middel name.

Len and my mom sailed for South Africa in 1937 - Len had a lady with him on the ship - Mona Meddins Primrose JONES - she was a journalist for a daily newspaper in Birmingham and reported in the Sport section.

Hope you will somehow be able to help?????

Emmie

Hi,
I believe Tiger Smith was a relative of mine too, think he was a cousin of my great grandfather. Believe he lived on Summer Hill, in the city centre of Birmingham.
Please get in touch! Thanks, Leighanne

Hi, please to meet you! Len Tiger Smith b 1909, was my grandfather and the Son of Horace Leonard Smith and Mary Elizabeth ( Brown) His father was Joseph Smith. Leonard "Tiger" Smith's siblings was Florence Vera, Maud M, Alice and Edie. Would love to have info of your branch of our family! Please stay in touch so we can both work on the Smith family tree???!!!???!!! Len's daughter Mary Elizabeth (Smith) Volschenk is my Mother and lives 30min drive from me! Emmie

to all on this thread
im a new member on this site and not sure how it works.
i was just browsing through and im sure you must have this photo by now but if you havent here it issmith-tiger-len.jpg

hello Emmie
im sure you have that photo but if you havent its a good copy.
i believe i knew him as an older man
in the 1970s i worked in central London and always went to The Stag pub in Victoria for my lunch and the 'potman' claimed to be Len (Tiger) Smith.
i know my boxing and used to chat to him quite a lot and have no reason to doubt him. he was a very nice old man.
he may have returned to England....david

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Bev
I have Lens boxing record, his first was in 1927 and last 1945, he had no fights in the war years 1939-44

Contests 230, won 129, drew 28, lost 72, and 1 no contest

Nick

Hi Nick,

Would it be possible to send me a copy of my Grandad (Len Tiger Smith's boxing record?

David Roake, would love to have some stories of your chats to Len... When Mona (his common-law-wife) as well as their son both died in South Africa in 1972, Len returned to the UK, therefore we never had contact with him again. I do not think I am allowed to leave my e-mail address here, but I am on FB: Emmie Volschenk Germishuys - would love to hear from you? Regards, Emmie

Hi. Lloyed
Tommy Fitzpatrick 1901 / 1983 was a popular figure in the area in 1920 &30.s he lived in Garnett street Ladywood
He commenced his boxing career at the Holte public house in trinity road Aston, in 1922 when he won the eight stone competition,
He had over 300 fights and was never knocked out, He fought in Denmark, Norway and Sweden,
He was Honoured by the welsh A,B,A when they selected him to fight in the Jim Driscoll memorial Tournament in Cardiff,
He won the Avery Amateur club fly weight competition on the 29 the February 1924 , he was a popular customer
In the woodman P,H, in easy row and the white Heart in paradise. Street and also in the crown in Broad street,
He always ordered a stick of Ale, this is a 1/3 of a pint
He married rose Farley when he was 20 years of age and they had 7 Children, he was a considerate man,,,,,,
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian',,,

Searching for information on my Great Grandfather, Len 'Tiger' Smith.
The Popular local birmingham boxer of the 1930's.

Any information, copies of photos or literature would be very much appreciated.

I know he fought over 200 pro fights. And British Welterweight title holder 1934.

I believe in 1937 he took the Amercian, WBA Featherweight Title Holder The Great Freddie Miller to 10 rounds In Johannesburg, South Africa.
Hi came a cross this wounderful site on your grandfather, thought I would share this rare lovely autograph with you all, that I have in my collection . I'm a bit of a boxing fan mainly from early 1900's to the 60's, I have done a lot of research on my own great grandfather Harry Duncan, which I have a website . If you would like to take a look at www.nigelharding.wix.com/harryduncanboxer .you my find it of interest.

Attachments

• 20161217_103155.jpg
    20161217_103155.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 17
Searching for information on my Great Grandfather, Len 'Tiger' Smith.
The Popular local birmingham boxer of the 1930's.

Any information, copies of photos or literature would be very much appreciated.

I know he fought over 200 pro fights. And British Welterweight title holder 1934.

I believe in 1937 he took the Amercian, WBA Featherweight Title Holder The Great Freddie Miller to 10 rounds In Johannesburg, South Africa.
Hello I am his Great great grandson my great grand mother told me a lot about him and him moving her to South Africa and then Going back to the U.K I even have his ww2 arm band because he served

Nathan.

Welcome to the Forum. Wendy Horne is no longer a member of the Forum, so is unlikely to see your posts, but thanks for posting the information.

Maurice :cool:

Hi All. Trying to track down details around Len “Tiger“ Smith. He is related (although I’m not sure how) to my great-grandmother Elizabeth (Liz) Wykes nee. Smith who was born in Wortley, Leeds in 1887 to Joseph and Elizabeth. She then moved to Birmingham. I know Len was a relative as I have a copy of a letter he wrote to her just before his British title bout (which he lost - I believe disqualified for headbutting) talking about his desire to fight for the family name. It’s very hard to research “Smith” so any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
I believe Tiger Smith was a relative of mine too, think he was a cousin of my great grandfather. Believe he lived on Summer Hill, in the city centre of Birmingham.
Please get in touch! Thanks, Leighanne
Hi Leanne, Tiger Smith was my great uncle,love to know the names of your side.

His grand daughter is on facebook and she is on my friends list "Emmie Rosemary Volschenk Germishuys"

• Appreciate
Reactions: Bev
Back