• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham boxers?

hello to all on here interested in ex boxers from birmingham
Im trying and have been for many years to find a photo of Jack Costello a Birmingham middleweight who fought for the British middleweight title in 1908
Any information to help me in my search would be gratefully received

Found a mention of Jack Costello on www.boxinghistory.org.uk but little else. Surprised not to find mention of Brian Cartwright who was a useful brummie boxer of the 1960's. His brother Alan was no slouch either. They were kids in Sheldon Heath Garretts Green in 1940's. I went to school at Blakenhale with their kid brother Phil.

Sad to read Johnny Prescott died he was an apprentice blacksmith at Wilmot Breeden in early 1960's.

hello devonjim
thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my post.
i do know basic information on www.boxinghistory.org.uk as i know the bloke whos site it is. i will contact him after xmas for fuller details such
as newspapers where information is contained.
i have been collecting photos of fighters for 50 years now and only have 5 to try and trace still. i do have one of Brian Cartwright.
it was sad to read of the passing of Johnny Prescott as, of course, i remember him boxing Walker, Corletti etc but it is a reminder that
we cant stop the passage of time however much wed like to.
once again, thank you
david

My second cousin, Reg Steele trained Pat when he was an amatuer boxer. He used to run the Pheasant Boxing club. Reg was himself a boxing champion.

My Grandad was Tommy Pardoe's elder brother. He was the 'second' during Tommy's fights.

Johny prescott the boxer came from nechells and he started his training
at the trees pub up stairs and then he moved to the colledge arms
spring hill i,ve known johny for years he made some money from boxing and openend a couple of betting shops around aston and as the years rolled on he went into the steel busines he had a big yard down on victoria rd just pass the swan pub for years prescott steel stock holders was the trading name a frend of ours whomi met afew months ago told me johny is not very well now he has got serious health problems astonian ,;;;;;

Hi I wonder if you could help me. I know Johnny had a brother named Tony Rankin but I've been told there was another brother that was younger. Do you know anything about him or his whereabouts would be grateful of any family information you could give me thank you

Johny prescott the boxer came from nechells and he started his training
at the trees pub up stairs and then he moved to the colledge arms
spring hill i,ve known johny for years he made some money from boxing and openend a couple of betting shops around aston and as the years rolled on he went into the steel busines he had a big yard down on victoria rd just pass the swan pub for years prescott steel stock holders was the trading name a frend of ours whomi met afew months ago told me johny is not very well now he has got serious health problems astonian ,;;;;;

Johnny used to go out with my best friend back in the early 1960s. I have been to his house once or twice when we all used to go about together. Sorry to hear that he is not well now.

Judy

hi I would be really grateful if you could help me with anything you know about Johnny's family history.I know he had a brother Tony but was there any other brothers or sisters thank you

Starr06 , if you set your profile to accept messages I will send you some info.
I can't do this on open forum because these relatives of the late Johnny Prescott are likely to be living,

John M Prescott August 1938- November 2012.R.I.P.

Last edited:
Starr06 , if you set your profile to accept messages I will send you some info.
I can't do this on open forum because these relatives of the late Johnny Prescott are likely to be living,

John M Prescott August 1938- November 2012.R.I.P.

Phi thank you so much for getting back to me I think I have set my profile to accept messages so I would be very grateful if you could send me any information you have on Johnny and his family thank you

Hi I wasn't aware that Johnny had a sister I know he had a brother Tony and I was told he had another brother that wS younger do you have any information about his sister and her whereabouts I would like to get in contact with her thank you

HI STARRO6
Yes you can restasured Johny did have a sister because she told an old friend of mine about along time ago
way back in time that that things was really bad for Johny plus i knew john way back myself
as i have not seen her and the family for years i am going to a big wedding in august
and one or two know her as well and he one friend of the old school will be there
thats where i will find out where she may be contacted best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Alan, I have searched all records available and found no sister so I will be very interested if you will contact me by personal message after the wedding with her name so that I can finally find records for this lady.Thanks Alberta

Last edited:
Alberta Johnny only had a brother Anthony ( Tony ) Tony lived in William Henry street and Johnny lived in Burlington street Aston all the time we knew him he never mentioned he had a sister.
There seems to be quite a few stories by people who want to be associated with Johnny but have no foundation. Is ex wife as a hairdressers called UpperCuts, I did try and get some information of her but she did not want to
know. Tony's Mom still had the name Prescott when Tony was born.

Back