• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by cmusgrave

1. C

Ilmington road school, Weoley castle

Mrs Karime was the French teacher when I was at Illmingto. I was also in Miss Kirks class when she was in her first year of teaching Miss Day ran the Pirates of Penzance production. I get the impression we would know each other as I was also in the production
  2. C

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

Just shows what a small world it is.. Went to visit my Uncle at Christmas and the cow has been painted bright red..no missing that. There have been many things posted on this site that have brought back many happy memories and incidents to mind
  3. C

Woodgate valley

There was a stream well could have been a ditch with water running though Shennleys park. There was a few wooden crossing points. PamelaY I had forgoten Birmetals was along there
  4. C

Woodgate valley

The fair and circus I was thinking of was at Shennely's Park. You could reach it from Bartley green.. Weoley Castle and Woodgate and yes it does have a small stream running though it
  5. C

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

Hi Paul.. how could I have forgoten about the Raven. My brothers best mate's dad use to run it..
  6. C

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

Hi Rosie..sad to hear that the Londonderry was demolished.. but I suppose inevitable at the moment. It was always busy or rather heaving at night time. My mothers family come from Smethick so on family get together they all use to meet up there. I thought it was because my Uncle had moved...
  7. C

California Inn Northfield

original California pub in the back ground along side Lapal tunnel
  8. C

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

Lived in Weoley Castle from 5yrs to 18yrs As kids we often sat outside the Stonehouse while my dad was inside same with the California.. mostly Sudays before lunch. for my sins drank in both with my friends on occasions but that was over 40yrs ago early 70's late sixtys
  9. C

brick works and origianal California pub was along side the canel.. still looking for picture and will post when I find it
  10. C

This is the California pub opposite Barns hill and on the junction of Alwold Road
  11. C

california pub
  12. C

The original California was further along at the side of the canal and was indeed built by a rich returing gold prospector from California hence the Cali..name and at one time Weoley Castle at that spot was known as California. This surved the canal and the brick works . At a later date the...
  13. C

MAY ALTERS

Beautiful..felt I was on the same journey. love it
  14. C

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

The Stonehouse. The california. The Londonderry Smethwick.
  15. C

Stonehouse Farm area

The stone house farm building was occupied by the Ward sisters both spinsters who had inherited it from there father I use to walk with Miss Ward and her dog for miles over the field when I was approximately 8. That a good 52years ago. I understand that it was built originaly by the ower of...
Back