• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

Lived in Weoley Castle from 5yrs to 18yrs As kids we often sat outside the Stonehouse while my dad was inside same with the California.. mostly Sudays before lunch. for my sins drank in both with my friends on occasions but that was over 40yrs ago early 70's late sixtys

Had my first pint of mild in the Stonehouse in 61, Cali about 62, but got an older mate to buy it, also drank in the Castle and Raven, The Cock in Bartley Green, The Oak, The Bournville, ect.
paul

HI PAUL ;
we used to drink inthe cock inn ourselves years ago ;my mates and my self ; we traveled from aston ;most nights
up to those oubs the main one was the cock inn; so last week i took my son up there and only to find they have changed the name of the pub ;
and its had a new make over inside and out ;
It was about three years back if my memory serves me correctly that the cock inn kitchens was closed down ;as it was reported in the birmingham mail
news paper that it was closed down owing to rat infestation ;so i reconon thats why as and when they had a good make over and remoderenise
thats why they changed the name ; does any body know when the name changed over ;
best wishes astonian;

Hi Alan, when very young I would play in the Cock Inn's garden, with the friend who lived in the prefabs, across the road from the pub, I cam't remember but I think the road was called "Jiggins Lane", then later like you would come over from Weoley Castle at the week end for a pint, happy new year alan.
paul

Hi cmusgrave, did you know the Londonderry was demolished a few months ago? Another one gone!! (Also the Two Brewers nearby has been demolished and built on!)
rosie.

Hi Rosie..sad to hear that the Londonderry was demolished.. but I suppose inevitable at the moment. It was always busy or rather heaving at night time. My mothers family come from Smethick so on family get together they all use to meet up there. I thought it was because my Uncle had moved that he now uses the Red Cow.. I have more memories of this pub as a kid than any other probably beacuse we had such a great time and a long walk back to my grandads house..all the cousins runing in and out of bushes playing hide and seek and being topped up every now and again with a bottle of pop a bag of crisps and a wagon wheel...amazing how large the wagon wheels use to be isn't?

Hi cmusgrave, my two Aunts used to have the sweetshop opposite the Red Cow approx 1956 for a couple of years. I don't remember much though except they gave me wooden dummy sweet packs to "play shop". (And real ones too of course!). Sorry to go "Off Topic".
rosie.

Just shows what a small world it is.. Went to visit my Uncle at Christmas and the cow has been painted bright red..no missing that. There have been many things posted on this site that have brought back many happy memories and incidents to mind

Back