• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stonehouse Farm area

B

banshehehe

I lived with my family in Stonehouse Farm, Stonehouse Lane, Quinton from 1987 until 1991, until we sold it to the present owners who have turned it into a children's nursery. I never really found out much about the history and yet the house must have been steeped in it. As you wandered from room to room it was like stepping through different centuries. I know there was a lot of add ons to the house but would be really interested to find out more about it. Any contributions would be welcome. :rolleyes:

Am I right in saying the farm was just by the entrance to Lappal canal tunnel ? the Weoley Castle side

Am I right in saying the farm was just by the entrance to Lappal canal tunnel ? the Weoley Castle side
Stonehouse Farm is facing the Stonehouse Pub (if thats still there), at the top of Stonehouse Hill. Neville Chamberline was a frequent visitor there as he was particularly interested in its history. I found out a little about the house but not much. For instance the chimneys are believed to be Elizabethan and yet a fireplace in one of the rooms is Tudor?. All vey odd but I found a great photo.

I remember it well. My aunt and uncle lived close by in Swinford Road and most Sunday lunchtimes were spent outside the Stonehouse pub with my cousins and a bottle of pop before going back for Sunday lunch.
After lunch we'd play around the brook behind the houses in Swinford Road, or go to the bluebell woods.
I have a dim memory of old Army Nissan huts nearby, is that right?

You are right Charlie as during WW2 the army was crawling all over that area and had quite a few barrage balloon sites their and nissan huts
I also remember the term "Stonehouse Gang" came from the area as well

Two of my (male) cousins from Swinford Road were in the Stonehouse Gang. It was a marvellous set up for the lads, football, boxing etc. Could do with something like that these days methinks!
Those Nissan huts were great for us kids, exploring in the 50s. I seem to remember them on a field almost next to the Stonehouse pub.
Thanks for confirming my memory's not quite gone to pot Cromwell! (That makes a refreshing change!!)

Hi there, i lived in Somery Road just at the top of Stonehouse Hill, and my mum tells me that our nextdoor neighbour who we called nan used to clean the big house at the top (stonehouse farm) her surname was Shut or Shutt that was around 1970.
My sister was also in the stonehouse gang, our surname is Gough, my family lived in Somery Road from 1964 until 2000.

The stonehouse gang was until recently still going and i remember the farm quite well lived in woley castle most of my life just behind weoley cinema as a child I spent a lot of time playing by the cut to the rear of there fell in many times:) as kids we used to see how far we could venture into the Lapal Tunnel on makeshift rafts before we got scared and came back out the tunnel was shut off so far in because of subsidence i think? also remember the Clay pits many a happy day spent there:)

Hi, anyone know anything about Brighton Cottages, Canal side? I'm trying to trace my mothers history, she apparantly lived there back in the 30's, but they no longer exist.

The stone house farm building was occupied by the Ward sisters both spinsters who had inherited it from there father I use to walk with Miss Ward and her dog for miles over the field when I was approximately 8. That a good 52years ago. I understand that it was built originaly by the ower of the brick works which streached along the side of the canal on the now green recreaction ground

I too used to walk with Miss Ward along the horses track at the back of our house in Swinford Road, she always wore a tweed suit and brogues and her dog was called Sally.

The original picture is lost, but , at some time, I saved the one below, which I assume may be the one. Similarly the contribution from OC seems to have been the map below.

Stonehouse.jpg

stonehouse_farm.jpg

Hi there, i lived in Somery Road just at the top of Stonehouse Hill, and my mum tells me that our nextdoor neighbour who we called nan used to clean the big house at the top (stonehouse farm) her surname was Shut or Shutt that was around 1970.
My sister was also in the stonehouse gang, our surname is Gough, my family lived in Somery Road from 1964 until 2000.
Ida Shutt who lived at number 26 Somery road

’Ow do Mike, just a quick en about the snap y’put up ’ere t’replace one that was lost – I believe the one y’show is actually Weoley Castle Farm, with its old mill pond as it looked in the 1930s, rather than Stonehouse Farm.

Mind, Bill Dargue’s got a nice en of Stonehouse Farm on ’is site under California, which originally came from the, now sadly defunct, Kind Edward VI on-line local history archive. Again, shame folk say Quinton now, when I think California sounds much better meself! Anyroad, hope this is of interest?

Last edited:
Well the place seems as if it is being well 'fortified' with modern housing.
Regarding the stone, reputedly robbed from the castle, I add that that was quite a common occurrence in past times. Most small towns and villages, that were once close to former monasteries and fortifications, often have some of the robbed stone somewhere in their structure. Frequently used for repair or building extensions.

I remember it well. My aunt and uncle lived close by in Swinford Road and most Sunday lunchtimes were spent outside the Stonehouse pub with my cousins and a bottle of pop before going back for Sunday lunch.
After lunch we'd play around the brook behind the houses in Swinford Road, or go to the bluebell woods.
I have a dim memory of old Army Nissan huts nearby, is that right?

Back