• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

I wonder what the special event was that warranted the photograph - and why are the children holding a donkey??

Hi astonian,
i remember going to the monkey house on a sunday dinner time IN THE EARLY 60'S
for a good laugh and good banter & a few pints of cider,
but i rember it being in cato st & sumerset st, i have looked up
kellys dir 1940 & found the pub to be no 49 duddeston hall inn,
terry

Here we go......

Jolly Fitter - Longbridge
Thurlston
Cofton
Laughing Cavalier
Woodman (Holloway Head)
Filibuster (nr St Chads)
Matador (.........Bullring of course)
White Lion (Bristol St)
Glassmakers (Holliday St) - Grandads pub
Man on/in the Moon
The Peacock (Forhill nr Kings Norton)
Old Hare and Hounds - Rednal
The Chalet - Rednal
The Cabin (next to Lewis's)
The Camp Inn - Kings Norton
Bulls Head - KN
Navigation - KN
Irish Centre (back in 1971 they had a colour TV and on Thursdays we went to watch Star Trek)

When myself and brother were children we used to "collect" pub names!

We used to go to Rhyl for holidays on a Midland Red Coach and would write down all the pub names we passed. The on the way home we would try and sit in the same seats and get the names on the other side of the road. Have no idea what we did with the lists but it kept us amused on a 5 hour journey from Digbeth to Rhyl.

Re;pubs of my childhood
We used to live in Medlicott Road ,Sparkbrook when I was much younger(!) and most Saturday summer evenings, my parents,my 2 brothers
and myself would wander up to the Cherry Arbour pub on the Warwick Rd ,Greet.We would settle ourselves at a
table in the beer garden there.
mom would have made a pack of cheese and onion sandwiches ,which us kids ate with'' the glass of pop that had to last us!''
and dad would go off and play darts,sometimes leting us have a go.
I also know that sometimes after work,dad would nip into the Antelope on the Stratford Rd.

hi all
the pubs I remember from my ill spent youth:
The Raven. Weoley Castle
The Castle. weoley castle
The Stonehouse. weoley castle
The Hen&Chickens. wolverhampton road
The Swan. Yardly
The Crooked House Kinver? I think
The Duke of York. Harborne
The Bear . Bearwood
The Rowley RAG. Rowley Regis
The Ivy. Edgbaston.
Some others I cannot remember now 50 yrs on.
Great memories though.
paul

Postie,do you know Denis Mcgauley from Fentham Road,Hampton in Arden he used to drink in the Engine every day,he owned the Butchers up to about 15 years ago.He is a family friend.Angela

HI PUB CRAWLERS
Do any of you recall the fireman pub on lodge rd hocley or the hydraulic
the hydo; across the rd from scribonas bakery or the fireman just down from the bakery
it always had the old joe anna playing and the people used to sit out side on stools as it was choc a block inside
packed every night of the week they even brought there kids it was a very good family pub
and it was more or less across the rd from a factory called charles harris bake light moulders
hockley was thriving with pubs and the old blak eagle was in walking distants along with the devonshire arms
one wa .the trees the other way [ key hill ] where old johny precott done his training up stairs
and old pat roach occasionaly in the devonshire and and occasionionaly ronnie iomme black sabbath there as well
if he was ,t there with the lad they would be in the old smiths arms
the fireman was the smallest pub of he lot
hve a nice day every ody best wishes Astonian ;;;;

Lived in Weoley Castle from 5yrs to 18yrs As kids we often sat outside the Stonehouse while my dad was inside same with the California.. mostly Sudays before lunch. for my sins drank in both with my friends on occasions but that was over 40yrs ago early 70's late sixtys

Had my first pint of mild in the Stonehouse in 61, Cali about 62, but got an older mate to buy it, also drank in the Castle and Raven, The Cock in Bartley Green, The Oak, The Bournville, ect.
paul

HI PAUL ;
we used to drink inthe cock inn ourselves years ago ;my mates and my self ; we traveled from aston ;most nights
up to those oubs the main one was the cock inn; so last week i took my son up there and only to find they have changed the name of the pub ;
and its had a new make over inside and out ;
It was about three years back if my memory serves me correctly that the cock inn kitchens was closed down ;as it was reported in the birmingham mail
news paper that it was closed down owing to rat infestation ;so i reconon thats why as and when they had a good make over and remoderenise
thats why they changed the name ; does any body know when the name changed over ;
best wishes astonian;

Hi Alan, when very young I would play in the Cock Inn's garden, with the friend who lived in the prefabs, across the road from the pub, I cam't remember but I think the road was called "Jiggins Lane", then later like you would come over from Weoley Castle at the week end for a pint, happy new year alan.
paul

Hi cmusgrave, did you know the Londonderry was demolished a few months ago? Another one gone!! (Also the Two Brewers nearby has been demolished and built on!)
rosie.

Hi Rosie..sad to hear that the Londonderry was demolished.. but I suppose inevitable at the moment. It was always busy or rather heaving at night time. My mothers family come from Smethick so on family get together they all use to meet up there. I thought it was because my Uncle had moved that he now uses the Red Cow.. I have more memories of this pub as a kid than any other probably beacuse we had such a great time and a long walk back to my grandads house..all the cousins runing in and out of bushes playing hide and seek and being topped up every now and again with a bottle of pop a bag of crisps and a wagon wheel...amazing how large the wagon wheels use to be isn't?

Hi cmusgrave, my two Aunts used to have the sweetshop opposite the Red Cow approx 1956 for a couple of years. I don't remember much though except they gave me wooden dummy sweet packs to "play shop". (And real ones too of course!). Sorry to go "Off Topic".
rosie.

Just shows what a small world it is.. Went to visit my Uncle at Christmas and the cow has been painted bright red..no missing that. There have been many things posted on this site that have brought back many happy memories and incidents to mind

Back