• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by annecrofts

1. A

Selly Oak Bristol Road

it was the abc when i used to go in 1952 as we were the abc ers
  2. A

A Piece - Sandwich

we had a piece of jam, a piece of dripping with salt on, a piece with a cup of oxo, couldnt beat that dripping though!
  3. A

Selly Oak Bristol Road

hi pam i remember it, used to go on a saturday morning to the matinee, we were the abcers, i lived on bristol rd near bournbrook end sorry gotno pics but seen loads from other members sure someone will help you
  4. A

Sanitorium Yardley Rd.

my grandfather william edward crofts died of T B in april 1940 on hid death cetificate it says he died at city sanitorium yardley green road
  5. A

Where did you live

born back of 622 bristol road,selly oak (near to bournbrook) till i was 16 moved to flat 3 , 26 caynham road bartley green, not far off hasbury road paul, married in 1962 , moved in 1964, to get accomadation, no chance in brum at that time, even on the overspill, as hubby was an electrician he...
  6. A

Welcome baby lily....

great news
  7. A

Could this be your family...????

we used to have dads overcoats on our beds as kids, and pop bottles filled with hot water!wonder what health and safety would think of that now! and to go to the outside loo at night we twisted waxed bread wrappers into candles(couldnt afford the real ones) and ran like hell before the flames...
  8. A

Register office

my husband and i were married at broad st in 1962.
  9. A

First Record Bought?

i remember our dansette record player two toned green andlike a grey colour, the first record we heard on it was my brothers, you butterfly by charlie gracie, i think mine was hats off to larry by del shannon, and billy fury a thousand stars, oh sweet memories!
  10. A

Burials of deceased from Western Road Infirmary

i too had a relative who died in wetern rd workhouse infirmary, i believe it was the old dudley rd hospital off western rd winson green ? theres a couple of cemetaries nearby the mint, and key hill.
  11. A

crofts james

Re: james crofts dear ladylinda, just thought id let you know, i sent off for james crofts (although it says croft on certificate,maybe a spelling mistake?) he was a bricklayer journeyman, wich tallies with mine, but he died in western rd workhouse infirmary, the informant being the workhouse...
  12. A

Baldwins William Who were parents.

Re: Who were William Baldwins parents. hi snowball, as you know my husband, owen baldwin,(i go under my maiden name ) is the grandson of arthur owen baldwin, and great grandson of henry baldwin and emily tyler, she remarried after henry died aged 51, in 1890. to oliver R shield, john henry...
  13. A

crofts james

Re: james crofts thank you lady linda once again, i shall try the deaths first,as then i can confirm maybe by the informant , if ive got the right one. and then the births, ill let you know how i get on. thanks for all your help once again. anne.
  14. A

crofts james

Re: james crofts ladylinda, hi, im almost certain that the info you kindly gave me on my gt grandfather james crofts born leamington about 1855 is my family, but have spent the last few weeks trying in vain to get his birth, or death certificates,marriage to no avail i know he had died by the...
  15. A

Selly Park School For Girls Stirchley

i went to selly park 1955 till 1959 ,miss griffiths was the head mistress, some of the teachers i remember are, miss banks, miss such P E teacher, miss edwards a welsh science teacher,miss smith art teacher,pupils in my class were eileen savage ,long dark pigtails,lorraine rose, irish maureen...
Back