• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burials of deceased from Western Road Infirmary

Snowball

master brummie
Can anyone help steer me in the right direction ? An ancestor, Richard Wright died on th 12th August 1904, according to his death certificate in the "Workhouse Infirmary Western Road", the informant on the death certificate is shown as "A.C.Gibson, Matron, Workhouse Infirmary, Western Road". Is Western Road another name for the Aston Union Workhouse Infirmary ? If he died there in 1904 what would have been the most likely cemetries where he would have been buried ?

Any assistance would be much appreciated, Snowball.:confused2:

i too had a relative who died in wetern rd workhouse infirmary, i believe it was the old dudley rd hospital off western rd winson green ? theres a couple of cemetaries nearby the mint, and key hill.

i too had a relative who died in wetern rd workhouse infirmary, i believe it was the old dudley rd hospital off western rd winson green ? theres a couple of cemetaries nearby the mint, and key hill.

I have just put it on Google Ann and you are right, Aston union Infirmary would have been Union Road depending who made out the Death Certificate.

Aston Union workhouse and its infirmary were in Union Road,Erdington later to become Highcroft Road,housing Highcroft hospital.
If you put Highcroft into the search there are various threads relating to Aston Union becoming Highcroft.

Western Road was the Birmingham Union Workhouse.

Last edited:
Can anyone help steer me in the right direction ? An ancestor, Richard Wright died on th 12th August 1904, according to his death certificate in the "Workhouse Infirmary Western Road", the informant on the death certificate is shown as "A.C.Gibson, Matron, Workhouse Infirmary, Western Road". Is Western Road another name for the Aston Union Workhouse Infirmary ? If he died there in 1904 what would have been the most likely cemetries where he would have been buried ?

Any assistance would be much appreciated, Snowball.:confused2:

I would guess either Key Hill, Warstone Lane or Witton. I don't have the indexes for any of these but someone may look at Key Hill for you. Warstone Lane and Witton are in central ibrary.

My Greatgrand mother died in Western Road in 1938 and was buried at Witton Cemetery,also her mother died in the Workhouse infirmary in
1899 also buried at Witton.

Carol

The burial place may have been chosen by Worhouse staff - in which case it could be Key Hill, Warstone or Witton, but if there was family known to the Workhouse, the burial may have been more local to where they lived - if, of course, they lived in a different district. Does it give the former home on the death certificate? That might hold the clue. Shortie

I too have a relative, great great grandfather who died there in 1913, he was Catholic, I have tried Witton, Key Hill and Warstone, but he is not buried there, yet other members of the family were buried at Witton, am at a loss where to try next.

What was his home address? That might give you a clue. You could try Lodge Hill if he lived in Ladywood, for instance. Lodge Hill may also have a section for Catholics, they have non-conformist sections, so there is a chance. - Shortie

He was living in the Italian Qt, Bordesley St I think,he was Italian, Amadio Tuzio(Tuzi/Tuzzio). Thanks for relying.

I would still try Lodge Hill first, at least you can eliminate it then. There may have been a Catholic church with burial space - I am not very up on those, which makes me think I need to look into it. There was one I think somewhere in Aston, perhaps St Joseph's from memory, and I think not far from Lichfield Road. There again, it might be my imagination - old age again! - shortie

I would guess either Key Hill, Warstone Lane or Witton. I don't have the indexes for any of these but someone may look at Key Hill for you. Warstone Lane and Witton are in central ibrary.
I have been helped just yesterday by going onto the site for Bmsgh and downloading free, the indexes for the four Birmingham cemeteries Witton, Key Hill, Warstone Lane etc. Windows 10 won't download but google chrome will. It's a 41mb file but brilliant.

My Greatgreat Grandmother died in 1899 in Western Road and buried In Witton Cemetery also her daughter my Great grandmother died in 1938 in Western Road and buried in Witton Cemetary CarolAnn

Back