• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

crofts james

annecrofts

proper brummie kid
james crofts no other info, married annie lovell born 1864 birmingham cant find a marriage certificate, had 4 children, lily annie, william (my grandfather)james,and robert,cant find any of them in 1890 census.

Re: james crofts

Hi there,is this them?
Crofts James aged 37 born Leamington, Warwickshire Bricklayer
Crofts Ann aged 28 Wife born Birmingham, Tailor
Crofts Lilly aged 6 born Birmingham
Crofts William aged 4 born Birmingham
Crofts James aged 11months born Birmingham,
living at 209 Barford Street, St Martin,Birmingham,
RG12/2381

ladylinda, hi, im almost certain that the info you kindly gave me on my gt grandfather james crofts born leamington about 1855 is my family, but have spent the last few weeks trying in vain to get his birth, or death certificates,marriage to no avail i know he had died by the 1901 census as annie lovell, his wife, born birmingham 1864 is listed as widow, and the youngest child robert, was then only 5years they also had a son albert. would be grateful for any help.

Hi again
Possible births?
Births Jun 1863
LOVELL Anne Aston vol 6d page 252
Births Mar 1855
Crofts James, Hinckley vol 7a page 60
(The district Hinckley spans the boundaries of the counties of Leicestershire and Warwickshire)
2 possible deaths?
Deaths Mar 1900
Crofts James aged 45 Hinckley vol 7a page 52
Deaths Sep 1898
Croft James age 49 Birmingham vol 6d page 121
Have looked for a marriage,but just can't see one!
I presume you have the 1911 details when the family were in Francis Rd Cotteridge?

thank you lady linda once again, i shall try the deaths first,as then i can confirm maybe by the informant , if ive got the right one. and then the births, ill let you know how i get on. thanks for all your help once again. anne.

dear ladylinda, just thought id let you know, i sent off for james crofts (although it says croft on certificate,maybe a spelling mistake?) he was a bricklayer journeyman, wich tallies with mine, but he died in western rd workhouse infirmary, the informant being the workhouse master, i wondered if his wife, and children were still living, as they were, in barford st, wouldnt she have been the informant?and because he died in the workhouse infirmary, does that mean he was in the workhouse itself? if so wouldnt his family been there too? iwas hoping the informant would be his wife, so im still not sure if its my relative, i could try the other james crofts of hinckley, its just that the family were all living in birmingham in 1901 and 1911 census, and he died in 1900 in hinckley!thanks for your help anne

Back