• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Register office

angela burley

master brummie
I have just received a marriage certificate ,1930 The Register Office,Birmingham South,in the county of Birmingham C.B. and Smethwick C.B. does anyone know if this is just Broad st or somewhere else. I have searched the internet but only came up with Sandwell and the marriage is not registered there.Thanks Angela.:shocked::rolleyes:

I'm not sure but they should be able to tell you here:

Register Office
Holliday Wharf
Holliday Street
Birmingham
B1 1TJ
England
United Kingdom

Telephone: 0121 675 1000

Outside UK: (+) 44 121 675 1000

Email: [email protected]

I had a similar query a couple of years ago, when I asked about the location of the Kings Norton Register Office (became part of Birmingham South 1924-1932).
I spoke to a very helpful chap called John Yates at the Register Office on 0121 675 2909.
He confirmed that the Register Offices moved around over the years and he jotted down the following particulars:

Birmingham 1884-1924 46 Newhall Street, Birmingham
Aston 1896-1924 205 Vauxhall Road, Aston (same buildings as Aston Union)
Kings Norton 1888-1903 Public Buildings, High Street, Smethwick

He said that over the years the Kings Norton Register Office has also been located in Edgbaston, Kings Norton and for a short period out of area in Birmingham (I think he said Gt Charles Street).
I will be interested to find out what locations you turn up for the Birmingham South Office

Andy Parkes

I have just received a marriage certificate ,1930 The Register Office,Birmingham South,in the county of Birmingham C.B. and Smethwick C.B. does anyone know if this is just Broad st or somewhere else. I have searched the internet but only came up with Sandwell and the marriage is not registered there.Thanks Angela.:shocked::rolleyes:
Hi there, when my wifes brother got
married at the Register Office in 1955 it was in Edmund Street Birmingham 3, bye Bernard

Back