• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Ann Steiner

1. Ann Steiner

The Gardner girls

Liam, I have not not heard from Bob yet, but hope he'll have a chance to write soon -- and it won't wind up in the spam folder! Thank ni you again. Best, Ann Hi Ann, I have no doubt that Bob will be fine with my giving you his email address. As I wrote it was pure chance, Ann that I came...
  2. Ann Steiner

The Gardner girls

Hi Liam, Thank you for your post about Doreen (Gardner) Nickless -- confirming who she married, and that she is still living (as well as her sister Patricia, as far as you know). I understand the need to obtain Bob's permission before providing me with his email -- am hoping he will be okay...
  3. Ann Steiner

Sisters

Hi Maggie, Since my Great Aunt never married and died childless, I didn't pursue the Brinkworth line much. On the marriage certificate from my whatever-great-grandmother's marriage to Thomas (Aunt Nellie's father), it lists his father's name as Thomas also, and his occupation as a carpenter...
  4. Ann Steiner

Bill Bryson At Home

Thanks for the great tip, Bill. I have three of his books, have read several others, and enjoyed everything he's written. I wasn't aware of the one you mentioned and will look for it at the library. Ann
  5. Ann Steiner

Census information on John Lloyd(Rule maker) and his wife Thomasina Hitchings(Ireland

Re: Census information on John Lloyd(Rule maker) and his wife Thomasina Hitchings(Ire Tony, I looked through the NY passenger lists to see if I could find a Thomasina Hitchings arriving to the US. Couldn't find anything. Then I looked through all of the 1850 US census records for her...
  6. Ann Steiner

Census information on John Lloyd(Rule maker) and his wife Thomasina Hitchings(Ireland

Re: Census information on John Lloyd(Rule maker) and his wife Thomasina Hitchings(Ire Hi Tony, I was trying to find John and Thomasina in the 1860 census (I see from your note above that they'd left the US by 1870), to establish where they lived first, before looking to see if there's anything...
  7. Ann Steiner

Re: Census information on John Lloyd(Rule maker) and his wife Thomasina Hitchings(Ire Tony, I looked through the New York and New Jersey census records for 1860 and 1870, and was not able to find a John Lloyd married to a woman by the name of Thomasina for either of those years. Ann
  8. Ann Steiner

Bullocks Mill on Cliveland Street

Thanks again, Mike. And nope, no prizes for us Alan! Ann
  9. Ann Steiner

Rupert, I looked up button makers, as you suggested, and on one site noted that Edward Armfield, on Carpenter Road, is listed as making buttons from 1763 to the present. (Or at least to the time-frame when that website was created.) Two-hundred and forty-eight years. Amazing! And...
  10. Ann Steiner

Hurrah -- Mike comes through again! Thank you so much. The word "mill" had me confused, as I couldn't see a connection between that and button manufacturing. Also the fact that the name was included, in italics, with a list of men presumably living at #19 Cliveland. Now I see they weren't...
  11. Ann Steiner

Rupert -- thank you for responding. Is the flour mill you mention from 1890 called Bullocks? So it would have been the same in the 1855 Directory then? The button manufacturer wasn't Bullocks Mill I don't think -- that enterprise was further down the street from what I can determine, and...
  12. Ann Steiner

That's what I'm hoping! He usually comes up with the answers to everything. Ann
  13. Ann Steiner

Wonder if anyone knows what this place was. I found it while looking through the 1855 Birmingham City Directory for a x3 great-grandfather. He was a wood turner. I found him listed at Ct 7, on Cliveland St., 275 New Town row. The numbers start from the beginning at 16 with one resident...
  14. Ann Steiner

Early Architectural Renderings

Sorry Mike -- and sort of weird. I went back on Google and looked it up again (I use Mozilla Firefox for a browser). It brought up a link that actually has a different web URL this time -- www.archiseek.com Although I found it the first time with the one I posted above. ??? But anyway, it...
  15. Ann Steiner

Early Architectural Renderings

I don't know if this information has been posted before or not, so sorry if it's a repeat. In looking for possible photos of an old building in Birmingham today I bumped into the following website that was quite interesting. https://archiseek.com When you bring up the home page, if you...