• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perrotts Folly

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
In 1758 land owner John Perrott built a 94 ft tower in Edgbaston. At the time the area was fields, woods and countryside. (Photo 1) The tower was octagonal in shape and built on a 2 storey base from standard bricks and stone. The upper 5 storeys were accessed by an external circular stair turret (photo 2). The inside rooms were decorated very ornately with a decidedly hunting theme the rooms are set out with all the comforts of home such as fireplaces and windows for viewing the scenery (photo 3).

No reasonable explanation has ever been given for the building of this tower, though many have been proposed. Among the most popular being that he built it so that he could see his wife's grave some 15 miles away. The problem with that being that Clent Hills were in the way. Another was that he built it so that he might survey his land. The most reasonable explanation being that he built it as a hunting lodge and the tower was used to spot animals.

During the late 18th Century a prominent meteorologist by the name of Follet Osler found a practical use for the building as a weather observatory first used by the Birmingham Midland Institute and later by Birmingham University. By this time the tower had become enclosed by housing and industry (photo 4). In 1979 it closed until 1984 when it was the management of the Tower was taken over by the Perrotts Folly Company in the hopes of restoring it and opening it to the public.

I was involved with a minor part of these works at this time when we demolished some of the surrounding buildings and salvaged the bricks for the new perimeter walls and paving to the yard and also clearing some of the land. Sadly it didn’t take an expert to see that their work was cut out for the new owners as you could put your fist in the cracks in the structure between the staircase turret and the tower. The Perrotts Folly Company managed to open the folly for a short time but even after going into partnership with The Birmingham Conservation Trust. Worries about the buildings safety they forced them to close it again.

I understand that all the safety and structural work has now been completed and the running and management of the folly has now been handed over to Trident Housing Trust a registered charity so let’s hope there are great things to come (photo 5).

If anyone has any information about the original construction, such as costs, architects and builders could they please add it here.

Phil

]
4d5242f1.jpg
ece3a871.jpg

]
bf6ec5d4.jpg

6de02303.jpg
]
23c86ef9.jpg

Fascinating building, Phil, and the first question that springs to my mind, did you ever manage to get inside and get up to the top? :)

Despite the lack of a rural landscape, it must still offer some good views and one that all the photographers on here would like a chance to savour!

Maurice :cool:

Fascinating building, Phil, and the first question that springs to my mind, did you ever manage to get inside and get up to the top? :)

Despite the lack of a rural landscape, it must still offer some good views and one that all the photographers on here would like a chance to savour!

Maurice

All the time we worked there (about 2 to 3 weeks) the Tower was left open for us to use as a canteen and for the use of other facilities. I did manage to struggle to the top a couple of times, its a marvellous view from the roof and well worth the climb. I even had my lunch up there one fine summers day. I don't think they allowed visitors on the roof the couple of times that they did manage to open it. So at least I can say that I am one of the few that have shared the same view as John Perrott even if it was somewhat changed.

Phil

Bordesley Exile

Thanks for those two interesting snippets of information, I hoping that these posts will grow into a wealth of information on some of Birmingham's best loved buildings. As I say in the introduction to these threads " All I ask is that contributors include with any photo that they may post a little of the history of that building, facts such as the date of building, architects name or company, original use, cost of building, type of material used, in fact anything of interest".

Hopefully that way it will build into a useful tool for anybody looking for information on a particular building. As I have also said most of these buildings are mentioned elsewhere, so if member want to record personal memories and reminisces they are able to do that on those threads.

This is another reason that I do not research each subject too deeply, so that other members can find items of information I have missed and therefore be encouraged to add to the information recorded.

Phil

Apologies for going off tack,but i read somewhere that this folly and the clock tower at the university were the inspiration for Tolkiens Lord of the Rings ,the two towers,

Hi Ed

You are not off thread as your comment links directly to the building, only I always believed it was The Edgbaston Water Tower a little further down Waterworks Rd that was the second tower. This is it here viewd from Perrotts Folly on 1913.

Phil

]
022b1cb1.jpg

Thanks for that info,i lived in the Broad street area for nearly 25 years and the Waterworks Tower is something i have never seen,talk about there is none so blind etc,though from Newton Road Sparkhill i could see the uni clock tower but only in one place mind

You lucky man, Phil, I am really jealous! :p

Let's hope that whoever is in charge now gets their act together and gets it open to the public, if only for a few days a year or for organised parties where staffing costs could be controlled. Insurance costs would have to be covered too.

What sort of area of land is now enclosed with it?

Maurice

It's only much later that you realise how lucky you have been to have worked on some of these historic buildings and I have to admit that I have worked on a few. Sadly Perrotts Folly has once again become enclosed by other buildings and now seems to have less land that when we worked on it in the early 90's. As this google earth section shows it doesn't have much land at all now. The car park belongs to the Heath Centre next door and the Folly is squeezed in between the two walls.

Phil

]
15ce9b4f.jpg

Phil,

As you probably realised, I was thinking alone the lines of what other attractions could be added to make the proposition a going concern, but from your picture, there's just about room for a litter bin! :(

On that basis, I can only see it opening with occasional access, a bit like local history group premises. Thanks for the information.

EDIT: It seem that nothing has been added to the BBC page or https://www.perrottsfolly.co.uk/ since April 2008. Does this mean that the project has gone into indefinite slumber? [email protected] is appealing for people to get involved. Has anyone been in touch with him recently?

I apologize for possibly leading this onto another track, but are there any other buildings or sites in the Birmingham area that are known to have served as inspiration for Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series?

Ann

Hi Anne

As far as I am aware Moseley Bog & Sarehole Mill was the inspiration for "The Shire" home of the Hobbits.

Phil

From the Local Notes & Queries column of the Birmingham Daily Post dated 22nd September 1864

18th & 19th Century newspaper articles mentioning the Folly are very thin on the ground, but here's a weather report (again courtesy of the Birmingham Daily Post) from 1893 that offers a few opinions regarding the original purpose of the building.

I saw Perrotts Folly yesterday when I went to Edgbaston Reservoir. I didn't take any photos of it though (was on Reservoir Road not Waterworks Road).

Is the tower at Birmingham University the other tower that inspired Tolkien's Two Towers?

Chamberlain Clock Tower and the Great Hall from
Oak
by ell brown, on Flickr

Ell I think the 2nd tower that inspired Tolkein was the Edgbaston Waterworks Tower. It was actually a chimney. Tolkein lived nearby in Stirling Rd. Viv.

Thanks Ell for the Wikipedia links. Looks like it's all pure speculation. Guess we'll never know 100% if they were the inspiration!! Viv.

"As far as I am aware Moseley Bog & Sarehole Mill was the inspiration for "The Shire" home of the Hobbits.

Phil"

Thanks, Phil! I'll do a look up and see what I can learn about them; maybe find some photos. I'm looking forward to the movie, once it's completed and out in theaters. The Ring trilogy was wonderfully done.

Ann

Thanks Ell for the Wikipedia links. Looks like it's all pure speculation. Guess we'll never know 100% if they were the inspiration!! Viv.

No problem. Sarehole Mill and Moseley Bog are close to where I am. I've not got around to properly checking out Perrott's Folly and the Edgbaston Waterworks. It's on the wrong side of the Hagley Road for me.

I could kick myself as I had the chance to go into the 'folly' a couple of years ago from a friend who has been connected with the restoration. I actually invited former member Cromwell along but he said he would never be able to climb the steps. I then became ill and unfortunately lost my chance. If I remember right they had big problems as a bat colony had taken residence and the restoration was halted as they are a protected species.

Back