• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

help wanted please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike wonder if you could be so kind as to pinpoint if you can where prosperity row and nursery grove was in villa street...i know they were threre 1861 and ive no reason to think they were not there many years later...

thanks mike..

lyn:)

Lyn
Can't find a prosperity row at all, nor a nursery grove in Villa St. There was a nursery grove in Nursery st, which was close to wheren it cut villas st, but i'm pretty sure it postdated 1861, so can't br that one. will be having a look at the census from your other post and trying to number the houses . will reply on thatb thread later
Mike

ok mike thanks eveso for looking for them. just realised that nursery grove was in nursery road more or less opposite the sally army and it was there up until i left villa st at least...prosperity row rings no bells at all with me at all.....its a great name though

lyn

mike pretty sure this is nursery grove. remember our dad cleaning the windows...its just.a few steps from where it cuts villa st..ive also got this map showing it..

Bit like a needle in a haystack as it may well be tucked away in there somewhere.

Lyn
I have looked at the census, and various directories and think that Prosperity row must be the row in green. The allwoods house, i think probably is the blue house. Have also marked Providence place in red.

villastprovidenceplaceprosperityrow.jpg

great thanks mike...well looking at your map i would think this is a pic of providence place...just before the post office on the corner of villa st/nursery road...

Speaking of Nursery Road, would that be the same as Nursery Terrace? My 2X-great-grandfather lived in/at Devonshire Place (along with at least sixteen or more families, before there was then a listing for a "back cottage"). There are numerous dwellings listed for Nursery Terrace in Aston, with names such as Devonshire Place, Clarence Place, Albion Place, Richmond Villa, etc.

Did Nursery Terrace start out with that name and then was changed to Road, or are these two different streets? I can find Nursery Road on my Godfrey map for Birmingham North 1913 (although it says 1917 on the map itself), in the upper left hand-corner, but I see that it looks to run on into the Winson Green map, which I don't have. Is there perhaps a Nursery Terrace street on that one?

Ann

Thank you, Mike. I thought it was the same road, but then I thought that about Sheepcote Street and Lane too, and wanted to check to make sure I wasn't mistaken again.

Ann

Back