• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

The pub is called just "The Plough". The small car park / loading bay in the foreground belongs to the old bakery which can be seen to the right of the photo. If memory serves correct I think it was "Hughleys bakers". For a time after the bakery closed down it was used as a car storage and valeting facility for All Electric Garage Group which had showroom and premises further along Harborne High Street at the junction of Greenfield Road. The old bakery being long demolished and replaced with modern office buildings.
Should that be Hawley's bakery?

Janice I am sure it was Hughley's, previously Vicker's bakery. The full story of the history of the bakers here...
It states under the WW2 section of that link that Vicker's was taken over by Hughley's. I knew the place when it was in the hands of All Electric Garage Group, most of the inside of the premises was still fitted out as a bakery inside when they took over the premises, if I remember correctly around the end of the 70's - early 80's . I had forgot about the place to be honest however a recent conversation with a chap in which we ended up discussing The Green Man pub and he said he was a delivery driver for Hughleys bakers across the road from the Green Man.

One of the noticeable things about this shot is the new housing on the right. It has the look of 'affordable housing' but 2 of the properties seem to have become business space. Or am I reading too much into this?

One of the noticeable things about this shot is the new housing on the right. It has the look of 'affordable housing' but 2 of the properties seem to have become business space. Or am I reading too much into this?

The buildings were never designed for residential use. The were built as offices, one was used by a computer supply company and the others by legal and estate agents. I think they were designed to look like houses in keeping with the cottages across the junction of Nursery Road and the original houses at that location. Most of Harborne High Street had a fair amount of housing until major retail development took place,

Here is a before and after shot of the location...

Harborne Green Man.jpg

The buildings were never designed for residential use. The were built as offices, one was used by a computer supply company and the others by legal and estate agents. I think they were designed to look like houses in keeping with the cottages across the junction of Nursery Road and the original houses at that location. Most of Harborne High Street had a fair amount of housing until major retail development took place,

Here is a before and after shot of the location...
Planning is so hard to understand. Why go to all that effort to retain the architectural memory of what went before only to fill the eyeline with traffic lights, street furniture and road markings to clutter everything up.

Thanks for the comparative photos. Life looked so much simpler then. Tinpot

We are at the dregs of some folders now, this is Ashted Row in 1982, couple of buildings in the background with a variation of roof lights, on the left is a North light - allowed the light without the heat and on the right straight forward skylights, asbestos roofing - been the failing of many a person on a roof authorised or not.
And a few cars - a rather sorry if interesting selection.

Ashted Row -82.jpg

This is York Road Acocks Green in 1974, Hall Green Stadium on the left and a few interesting cars scattered about, I like the one in front of the cash and carry next to the mini and the Jaguar in front of the stadium. The few wooden barriers around the hole are also interesting !!

York Road Acocks Green - 74.jpg

Finally a bit of colour , taken on a Monday? due to the washing - only a guess. Full of interest and characters, the two ladies passing the time, children playing out, there is someone with a bowl at the very back. Cobbled yard with a gutter down the middle and a few wooden structures.

Test456.jpg

Great picture. Between the colour and the sunshine the people nearly come to life! A story to be told in every face. The curly haired boy at the back seems to be either wearing his older brothers trousers or they were bought in the Rag Market. 'you'll grow into 'em' my nan used to say :)

We are at the dregs of some folders now, this is Ashted Row in 1982, couple of buildings in the background with a variation of roof lights, on the left is a North light - allowed the light without the heat and on the right straight forward skylights, asbestos roofing - been the failing of many a person on a roof authorised or not.
And a few cars - a rather sorry if interesting selection.

View attachment 158495
Ashted Row, just a stones throw from old home in Gopsal Street, though this photo is not familiar to me, as we had left the area in 1967 and moved to Sheldon. I am hoping that one day Steve in the dregs of your folders you will come across a photo of Gopsal Street. There is nothing on the forum for it pre dem days.
The closest I have found is the Eagle & Ball but that was the other end by my Nans. That was great to see. Thank you. Sue

Finally a bit of colour , taken on a Monday? due to the washing - only a guess. Full of interest and characters, the two ladies passing the time, children playing out, there is someone with a bowl at the very back. Cobbled yard with a gutter down the middle and a few wooden structures.

View attachment 158501
Love this photo and yes definitely a Monday. Remember them so well. Just like my Nans yard but where is the old mangle. Lol. Brilliant, thanks Steve. Regards, Sue.

Ashted Row, just a stones throw from old home in Gopsal Street, though this photo is not familiar to me, as we had left the area in 1967 and moved to Sheldon. I am hoping that one day Steve in the dregs of your folders you will come across a photo of Gopsal Street. There is nothing on the forum for it pre dem days.
The closest I have found is the Eagle & Ball but that was the other end by my Nans. That was great to see. Thank you. Sue
Hi Sue

thanks for the comments- you never know, all of Geoffs slides are untitled, so it is very much watch and see perhaps you will recognise a location one day - I have a large number of these ex council slides to scan so there is a chance there. I am aware of a third person with ex council slides but it is hard to get in touch after 15 years just to borrow his slides :laughing:.

Back