• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford

There's been a lot of work going on by the bridge over the Cole. Houses being built on the site of the Manor House and possibly where the fair sets up. It also looks as if they'll be getting rid of the kink in the road where the snooker hall was and widening the bridge as well.

There's been a lot of work going on by the bridge over the Cole. Houses being built on the site of the Manor House and possibly where the fair sets up. It also looks as if they'll be getting rid of the kink in the road where the snooker hall was and widening the bridge as well.
They are putting 2 traffic islands in, one where the snooker club and one further up on Flaxley Road. There will be a dual carriageway from the snooker club island across the river to the Burney Lane island and lots of road widening around the island. About time too.

Hi Viv,

Stechford village looking down Albert Road, with Richmond Rd on the left, and Lyttelton Rd
to the right. The buildings on the right of Albert Road included the old post office in your
earlier pics.

Kind regards
Dave

Is the Lido still there?

My schoolfriend and I used to go there sometimes in the summer hols in the 60's.
We used to take the number 11 bus from Perry Barr, took ages to get to Stetchford!
THERE hasn't been a lido there for quite a while! in fact, since the lido days, new community centers with swimmng pools have been built, twice!

Do you remember the Ford garage being there Burgess and Garfield?
I remember a transport yard, used by Mcfarland Lang and Mcvitie biscuits next to the Atlas. It may have been just a deot, I do not think they baked the biscuits there.

I remember a transport yard, used by Mcfarland Lang and Mcvitie biscuits next to the Atlas. It may have been just a deot, I do not think they baked the biscuits there.
Probably a distribution or, as you say, a depot. There has been a recent programme on tv showing the McVitie factory, and its biscuit making processes. This was at the old Carr's factory in NE England.

Hi Viv

Many thanks for the 1910 pic of Frederick Road.
I lived from 1950 to 1965 in the 3rd house along
the terrace on the right (no 44) sort of "behind the
two trees"
The trees had grown a lot since this pic was taken

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Pete,

The only green I can remember was on the right hand side of Yardley Fields Rd
going from the island which I think was a sports ground.

Perhaps by the time I lived there it was not obvious where it was (or my memory is
playing tricks again!)

I suppose the cross roads shown is where the War Memorial is now.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Lumpammer I,ve never lived in Birmingham myself but certain things have given me an interest there. I painted a picture of kingway cinema Kings Heath and I own a 1925 car that was in Birmingham in the 60s at Burgess and Garfield. Also I have items that came from an Iron foundry in Leopold street dated 1923 - 25. I like old photos and postcards of Birminghams past history etc :) Thanks for info!

is that were the co-op bakery was built,just past the houses

Hi Pete,

Yes it is, - The part facing the road had a loading bay where the
little green Morrison? electric bread vans were parked and recharged at
night. They also kept the horse drawn carts at Manor Rd but the horses
were led to their stabling down a little side lane opposite the Bull's Head
pub at the bottom of Station Rd each evening. My memories of this are
from the 1950s.

Kind regards
Dave

Wow thank you so much for this, my 2 x great grandparents ran a business from number 10 Manor Road which i believe is the 5th house from the left around this time.

Hi Lisa,

I think this view may be from just after the junction with Lyndon Rd, as I can't see that junction on the left.
If that is so, your GGP's would have lived further up the road towards Station Rd.

Kind regards
Dave

According to it's address yes..
https://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/pub/yardley-arms-stechford-birmingham/m7405/
I think going north to south along the outer circle there used to be a boundary signs near Bordesley Green East near the Police station, one side of the road Yardley and the other Stechford. There's still a boundary sign saying "Stechford" near the river Cole Bridge just before where the Manor House pub was, further on from that it would be Ward End. Not so sure about west to East, but i think the Glebe is classed as Stechford but certainly not the old capitol cinema site as that's Ward End.
anyone know when the Yardley arms was built ???? cant find anything on history etc

If you went to the bakery of a Friday night.and pai a pound,you could have as much bread and cakes as you wanted.
they were only to glad to get rid of them. Not a lot of people knew that.

Back