• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford

is that were the co-op bakery was built,just past the houses

Hi Pete,

Yes it is, - The part facing the road had a loading bay where the
little green Morrison? electric bread vans were parked and recharged at
night. They also kept the horse drawn carts at Manor Rd but the horses
were led to their stabling down a little side lane opposite the Bull's Head
pub at the bottom of Station Rd each evening. My memories of this are
from the 1950s.

Kind regards
Dave

Wow thank you so much for this, my 2 x great grandparents ran a business from number 10 Manor Road which i believe is the 5th house from the left around this time.

Hi Lisa,

I think this view may be from just after the junction with Lyndon Rd, as I can't see that junction on the left.
If that is so, your GGP's would have lived further up the road towards Station Rd.

Kind regards
Dave

According to it's address yes..
https://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/pub/yardley-arms-stechford-birmingham/m7405/
I think going north to south along the outer circle there used to be a boundary signs near Bordesley Green East near the Police station, one side of the road Yardley and the other Stechford. There's still a boundary sign saying "Stechford" near the river Cole Bridge just before where the Manor House pub was, further on from that it would be Ward End. Not so sure about west to East, but i think the Glebe is classed as Stechford but certainly not the old capitol cinema site as that's Ward End.
anyone know when the Yardley arms was built ???? cant find anything on history etc

If you went to the bakery of a Friday night.and pai a pound,you could have as much bread and cakes as you wanted.
they were only to glad to get rid of them. Not a lot of people knew that.

Hi Bernie. My parents owned the grocery shop from 1972 until 1980 when it was knocked down for "road widening". Was called youngs store and we never changed the name. I remember spending my early years playing snooker in Parkinson Cowan club. And went to work there from 1980 to 1987. I wonder if any of my work colleagues are reading this Tony Harris now living in New Zealand...

Hi Bernie. My parents owned the grocery shop from 1972 until 1980 when it was knocked down for "road widening". Was called youngs store and we never changed the name. I remember spending my early years playing snooker in Parkinson Cowan club. And went to work there from 1980 to 1987. I wonder if any of my work colleagues are reading this Tony Harris now living in New Zealand...
I too played a bit of snooker both at parkinson cowans and flaxley snooker hall. also worked at parkies and leviss air compressors between 1985 and 1988

I remember the cafe at the top of the hill opposite the Station office. Every sat morning would get a bacon sandwich and play the pinball. There was Steve Perrigo, Dave and a few others. Circa 1972/73
Petes cafe...played pool there as a teenager 79-83

how its changed in 20 yrs. i watched them build the old bailey bridge in cole hall lane

I remember the old bridge before it fell down. A single lane brick built bridge that was slightly arched. One day it was there. A storm overnight - and it was gone!

I lived on station rd opposite Joan Armatrading.in the 70s

Slightly earlier but, looking towards their retirement [a few years henceforth], my parents bought a house opposite the North Star. A three floor building.

My Father then 'tasked' me with the job of re-wiring it. Gulp! I was only about 16 at the time and had previously only 'played' with bits of Electrickery. Fortunately, perhaps, my older sister had married an Electrical Engineer, so I had advice [as to cable specs, etc] at the end of a phone. Although, I don't remember that we had a phone. It must have been 'advice' from a phone box.

Not only was it a rewire but, two bedrooms were destined to be bed-sits, with their own [private] meter and Comsumer Unit, providing lighting, sockets, and a two-ring cooking 'contraption'. I was presented with two meters and told to wire the rooms separately. Socket/Switch 'back boxes' had to be chiselled out by hand. Electric drills, of that period, although present, didn't have 'hammer action'.

My Father, then decided, that in the 'residential' area [of the house], to have fitted a Solid Fuel burner, to provide hot water and supply heating to radiators [to be fitted] in all of the rooms. Guess what. I then needed to become a proficient Plumber also!

How many can remember the 'Floor Board saw' of that era? Placing one's knee in the 'cup' of the implement and then pulling the handle which rotated the blade about 90 degrees. A single cut could take an hour. And there wasn't a 'left-handed version':(. Nowadays, such are electrically driven and provide a Laser line.

Having been past there since, despite my inadequacies, the premises is still standing. So I can't have done much wrong. :cool:

Kids today!...............

Here's a picture of Albert Road showing the houses just south of All Saints Church; the picture was taken about 1888 before the church was built; you can see the sloping roof of the chapel that was there before the church. My grandparents lived in the smallest one, next to the church, from 1894 until about 1900.

Attachments

• 90 Sunnyside.jpg
    90 Sunnyside.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 24
Back