• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

Bob, I've always wondered, do you have to book ahead for your night berth or can you just stop when you're tired. I suppose it doesn't matter in the quieter spots but Gas Street always gets very busy doesn't it?

A brave soul Bob. Many years ago, having an interest in canals from a family aspect, I was in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. I took my wife to a canal museum at Etruria - very interesting, from an industrial point of view by the way - and a lttle further along from there where there were locks. Once the reality of how lock mechanisms work were recognised by her she made it quite clear that boating on canals was not a pastime she would contemplate. :eek: So that just left sea and rivers as choices!

Bob, I've always wondered, do you have to book ahead for your night berth or can you just stop when you're tired. I suppose it doesn't matter in the quieter spots but Gas Street always gets very busy doesn't it?
Lady P
You would be surprised how quiet Gas Street basin and Brindley Place are downon the canal level. We spent a very peaceful night. You cannot book ahead, you have to take pot luck arriving late can leave youoored up just out of the main area. You also have to ensure you moor in a permitted mooring, usually 48 hours is allowed. I took a picture but cannot download it. On our way to Brierle Hill now
Thanks to you all for the support.
Bob

A brave soul Bob. Many years ago, having an interest in canals from a family aspect, I was in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. I took my wife to a canal museum at Etruria - very interesting, from an industrial point of view by the way - and a lttle further along from there where there were locks. Once the reality of how lock mechanisms work were recognised by her she made it quite clear that boating on canals was not a pastime she would contemplate. :eek: So that just left sea and rivers as choices!
My wife is the lock champion. You should see her walk across the gates. Basically it is hard work but good fun and you have to be a team
Bob

Lady P
You would be surprised how quiet Gas Street basin and Brindley Place are downon the canal level. We spent a very peaceful night. You cannot book ahead, you have to take pot luck arriving late can leave youoored up just out of the main area. You also have to ensure you moor in a permitted mooring, usually 48 hours is allowed. I took a picture but cannot download it. On our way to Brierle Hill now
Thanks to you all for the support.
Bob

Are you off to Merry Hill?

https://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/album/977418?view=1

Yes, no locks until after there, just the Netherton tunnel
Bob[/QUOTE

You’ll be legging it then?

You’ll be legging it then?

[Edited after post 1011 pointing out that the “tongue-in-cheek” comment seemed to get inside the quote. I must have inadvertently delete the last bracket.]

Last edited:
Bob, my wife is Devonian, born by the sea, spending hours on the beach in her young days. There is no way she would exchange the sea for the cut.

Last edited:
Bob, my wife is Devonian, born by the sea, spending hours on the beach in her young days. There is no way she would exchange the cut for the sea.
As is my wife Cornish by heritage brought up in Plymouth and Seaton, Cornwall, came to the Greatest city to teach met me and i took her home hates boats but loves the canals Just arrived at Merry Hill
Bob

Resting at Merry Hill, but will now leave no further reports as we are away from Birmingham canals. Enjoyed Sea life and having a coffee at Costa Brindley Square or Place, thought for all our remarks on the destruction of the old, how wonderful and clean and smart this all looked. What a lucky lot you ate to have this. No i did not go to Broad Street or Paradise.
Bob

Not sure if this is in the forum but I found this atmospheric photograph of Kings Norton lock keeper's house and (guillotine?) lock taken in 1965.
31496182_2027038340642921_5595528743788478464_n.jpg

I rode past it yesterday on my bike, the house is gone now. just a bit of the wall on the left remaining.

Not sure if this is in the forum but I found this atmospheric photograph of Kings Norton lock keeper's house and (guillotine?) lock taken in 1965.
31496182_2027038340642921_5595528743788478464_n.jpg

The lock is a Listed Building Grade II*

“Circa 1794-1802. Brick lined stone dressed stop lock with cast iron guillotine
gate framework. Winched counterweight chain mechanism to guillotine gate which
runs in slightly raked cast iron girder frame, the chain passing through a block
on the gate and up over 2 wheels carried on one side out and down to winch and on
the other out over a wheel supported by an elegant cast iron column before sinking
with counterweight into post.”
https://www.britishlistedbuildings....rmingham-canal-kings-norton-ward#.WulqhIoo-hA

The Stratford Canal was short, about 25 miles, having a northern and southern section, but within those few miles were some quite unique features.
The Kings Norton Guillotine lock was more familiar in the Fens of East Anglia, the barrel roofed cottages at Kingswood near Lapworth, the small overbridges which allowed tow ropes to pass through, four unusual aqueducts, Shirley, Wootten Wawen, Yarningdale and Edstone. There was also a drawbridge at Shirley (now electrically operated but in my days strong arms and rope were needed as it was not opened that frequently).
The Canal had three connections, Worcester & Birmingham canal, Grand Union canal and River Avon.
When I wasn't exploring the city of Birmingham I could usually be found somewhere along the northern section. ;) Very happy days.
The other great attraction was that the North Warwickshire railway line was never far away from the canal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford-upon-Avon_Canal
iu

iu

The Stratford Canal was short, about 25 miles, having a northern and southern section, but within those few miles were some quite unique features.
The Kings Norton Guillotine lock was more familiar in the Fens of East Anglia, the barrel roofed cottages at Kingswood near Lapworth, the small overbridges which allowed tow ropes to pass through, four unusual aqueducts, Shirley, Wootten Wawen, Yarningdale and Edstone. There was also a drawbridge at Shirley (now electrically operated but in my days strong arms and rope were needed as it was not opened that frequently).
The Canal had three connections, Worcester & Birmingham canal, Grand Union canal and River Avon.
When I wasn't exploring the city of Birmingham I could usually be found somewhere along the northern section. ;) Very happy days.
The other great attraction was that the North Warwickshire railway line was never far away from the canal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford-upon-Avon_Canal
iu

iu
The reason for the barrel shaped roofs is because the roof was moulded from the same mould that was used for bridges, so we were told.
Bob

post 100
I didn't think there was a restriction on motors through the Netherton Tunnel so no need to leg it.

This was in reply to Pedrocut's post #1000 above as the quote does not seem to have worked

The reason for the barrel shaped roofs is because the roof was moulded from the same mould that was used for bridges, so we were told.
Bob
The builders were quite experienced with tunnels and bridges but, I believe to save money, they also built the cottages.

post 100

I didn't think there was a restriction on motors through the Netherton Tunnel so no need to leg it.

This was in reply to Pedrocut's post #1000 above as the quote does not seem to have worked
Now you tell me, next it will be that boats are fitted with engines and the wife does not have to walk the towpath pulling it.
Bob

I guess you have three options Bob: teach the wife how to bowhaul correctly, get a horse - quite traditional (one of my grandfathers had six all named after Old Testament guys) - or fit an engine.
It is was me I would go for an engine, women with strong arms and muscles can be dangerous :D, horses are expensive to keep!

Last edited:
The Kings Norton Stop Lock in 2012.

The Shirley Drawbridge also seen in 2012.

Lapworth Locks seen in 2012.

Bridge at Wootton Wawen in 2014. Also known as Lucy's Farm Bridge.

Wootton Wawen Aqueduct in 2017. (near the Navigation Inn)

Service Shops at Lyons Boatyard seen earlier in 2018 (this year). Near Yardley Wood / Warstock.

I guess you have three options Bob: teach the wife how to bowhaul correctly, get a horse - quite traditional (one of my grandfathers had six all named after Old Testament guys) - or fit an engine.
It is was me I would go for an engine, women with strong arms and muscles can be dangerous :D, horses are expensive to keep!
So Are women
Bob

boatmans-rest.jpg

This is how I remember the Drawbridge Inn where I bought many packets of crisps over time.
The draw bridge itself was the original with heavy baulks of timber framework and counter balances which, I gather was replaced by a new steel version in 1965.

Back