• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it is the somewhere on the Birmingham New Road as this was proposed around 1909, to join isolated towns of the Black Country. Coseley, Tipton, Dudley, Rowley Regis, Oldbury and Smethwick. The proposed route would have 6 miles new and other roads widened, and be 1.5 miles shorter than the present route.

The A4123 now looks to be the road. This clip is from the 16th November 1927, and we can see why the Sunbeam super sports was there!

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 19.32.35.png

I suggest the (now) footbridge over the Wolves new road at Tividale, shown by arrow on google view
aerial view of bridge ove rnew Wolves road..jpg

It was once a tramway bridge connecting different parts of Quarries (see c1917 map before new road), but bridge was retained after new road (see map c 1938), and later the bridge, but possibly not the supporting brickwork, was rebuilt, (see preseent view from road)

site o bridge on new road c 1938.jpg site of bridge on wolve snew road. c1917.jpg

View of bridge over wolves new road c2014.jpg

I was very interested in that reference, as there was a "hill" of waste from the Chance works at Langley named Blue Billy because of its colour. As I understand it, this was formed from waste calcium sulphate produxed in the production of raw materials for glassmaking.
Regarding Morturn's comment, the part of the quarry north ofthe line of the Wolves new road appears, on the c1938 map, to be non-functioning, so may well hav ebeen used to dump waste

Using the location details in recent posts I found this aerial view of a bridge on 'britainfromabove' taken in 1946. A grassed over spoil heap is visible.
Bridge1946.JPG

In Court 4, Great Colmore Street, the adults where out at work and a teenage girl was child minding when a man with a camera arrived. Someone had fixed a shelf in the corner of that back wall and placed a pot plant on it.
court4GtColmoreSt.jpg

In Court 4, Great Colmore Street, the adults where out at work and a teenage girl was child minding when a man with a camera arrived. Someone had fixed a shelf in the corner of that back wall and placed a pot plant on it.
View attachment 120601
Ah the good old days, how we miss them. That ragamuffin standing in the doorway should beware of that heavy object on the window cill above.

I know this thread has moved on but if I could go back to the Wolverhampton Road and the Railway Bridge as some one who knows the road from having lived at several points along it.
There were four bridges over the Wolverhampton Road. From the Birmingham end:
1.Near Causeway Green Oldbury. Still in use for the Stourbridge line from Snow Hill.
2.Tividale. This was always a mistery to me as I never knew of a railway at this point. Later when I got to know the Godfrey reprints, I discovered it was a mineral tramway from the Rowley hills to the Canal at Oldbury presumably taking minerals from the Rowley Quarries. I don't think the photo was of this bridge as it was always on a steep gradient much lower on one side of the road than the other. The photo in post 2380 by Old Mowhawk shows this line which was a single track. The bridge was converted into a footbridge mainly for Tividale School and has since been replaced by another bridge but the abutments are still there on oneside of the road.
3. Tipton near Black Country Museum. This was the South Staffs Railway from Dudley to Burton on Trent. Disused for many years but the vegetation has just been cleared from it in readiness for the Midland Metro from Wednesbury to Brierley Hill.
4. Tipton other side of Black Country Museum. Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway (OWW, the Old Worse and Worse). Now demolished but abutments still visible.

Of the four bridges my best guess would be no. 3 above.

The Blue Billy was at Birchley Crossings in Park Street now removed for building of Churchbridge, the road from Birchley to Oldbury town centre

I had put this pic in the Martineau Street thread because the lower end of the street is not often seen in old pics. But of course I could not fail to notice that tram inspector caught in the middle of the pic looking rather sad about the approaching end of Birmingham's tram empire, and as already been noticed (in the other thread) he reminded me of someone ....:D
linked pic only visible if logged in
index.php

Last edited:
I had put this pic in the Martineau Street thread because the lower end of the street is not often seen in old pics. But of course I could not fail to notice that tram inspector caught in the middle of the pic looking rather sad about the approaching end of Birmingham's tram empire, and as already been noticed (in the other thread) he reminded me of someone ....:D
linked pic only visible if logged in
index.php
It could be him oldMohawk, i believe he did spend some time in England. :-}

It's Corporation Street and that man on the bus platform reminds me that I often did that until buses with driver operated doors appeared and our jumping on and off moving buses ended ....:)
CorporationStbus.JPG

Come on Stitcher, before you take all these photographs will you please ensure that all Health and Safety regulations are followed. This one is a criminal offence now and would get the company shut down. There are so many things wrong here that I cannot even start to count them....What a cracking picture though and of course in reality it is not real, you have been playing with all the airbrushing and photo adjustment websites that have been discussed lately. I am surprised the running man was not in it.

Bob

Come on Stitcher, before you take all these photographs will you please ensure that all Health and Safety regulations are followed. This one is a criminal offence now and would get the company shut down. There are so many things wrong here that I cannot even start to count them....What a cracking picture though and of course in reality it is not real, you have been playing with all the airbrushing and photo adjustment websites that have been discussed lately. I am surprised the running man was not in it.

Bob

I think Sticher has been stitched up by that Pedro!

Bob
Stitcher my apologies, why did I think this was one of yours? I know that you are of course keen on H & S and would have ensured that at least the guy standing on the object being lifted was wearing gloves!!!!!! Pedro lets talk about this H & S thing, one more infringement and gosh the fines are astronomic, thanks for correcting me so diplomatically

Bob

A St Patrick's Day Parade, probably i the 1970s...

SAT50cf1000.jpg SAT54cf1000.jpg SAT48cf1000.jpg

Attachments

• SAT50cf1000.jpg
    SAT50cf1000.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 54
  • SAT54cf1000.jpg
    SAT54cf1000.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 54
Another great set of photos Pedro.

Locations anyone ?

What's the bands name ? ...EVE FOX BAND ?
"Civic" was a tv shop.

Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back