• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting OldMohawk, Mom did mention to me that there was a "mine" dropped on Handsworth, sometime in 42/3, and damage and casualties were quite sever. You can just see a barrier erected to the RHS of the photo so it was probably over that side the explosion occurred, and the lady and little "UN", just carry on, what a generation they were. Paul

That looks very much like Hamstead Road to me, the park side.

I thought it was the house on the corner of Holly Road and Hamstead Road but the design isn't quite the same.
However, there is a grassed space on the corner of Broughton Road and Hamstead Road where the house in the photo could have been.

That looks very much like Hamstead Road to me, the park side.

I thought it was the house on the corner of Holly Road and Hamstead Road but the design isn't quite the same.
However, there is a grassed space on the corner of Broughton Road and Hamstead Road where the house in the photo could have been.
Thanks, I'll have a look round there on some of the old pics and aerial views etc. The slightly puzzling thing is the road going off to the right looks like a commercial area, shops etc. The house could have been a 'commercial travellers' hotel or Doctors maybe, there does not look space for a back garden. I have looked at the signpost in the pic and it seems to show the word 'shelter'.

The house in question looks very like one that stood at the corner of Byron Road and Waverley Rd Small Heath. If you look to the extreme left of the photo you can just see the edge of a large flat roofed building that could be the old Labour Exchange building where the number 28 bus bundy clock stood outside. Most of Byron Road and that part of Waverley Rd disappeared under the Small Heath Bypass, but there still remains a house on the corner of Tennyson Road opposite that is of more or less the same design.

I'm a bit lost in that part of the city, 'britainfromabove' does show Byron Rd and Waverley Rd in a 1927 pic and the school can be seen.
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw018236?x=409797&y=285041&extent=1000&ref=13
Quite a few pics of Waverley Rd on the forum and the one below shows the No 28 bus and the Bundy clock you mentioned.
The bus driver and bus conductor caught in the pic !
index.php

It is in a post here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=487668#post487668

Last edited:
oldMowhawk: Re posting #1568. My 'manor'! The Small Heath GWR marshalling yards can be clearly seen towards the top left hand corner, and the railway station just above the BSA works, the BSA sports field and the Grand Union Canal. Just visible, beneath the marshalling yards is Anderton Road, and the GWR stabling for their horses, and carriers. Great photo. Many thanks.

Eddie

Phil

That is the place where the 28 bus Bundy clock was located, and the house I was referring to was along to the right from there on the corner of Byron Rd diagonally opposite Small Heath Park. It could have been a stray bomb meant for the BSA just the other side of the railway track.

Phil

That is the place where the 28 bus Bundy clock was located, and the house I was referring to was along to the right from there on the corner of Byron Rd diagonally opposite Small Heath Park. It could have been a stray bomb meant for the BSA just the other side of the railway track.
A closer look at the house on the corner of Waverley Rd and Byron Rd suggests it isn't the house we are looking for.
WaverleyByron.JPG

The original photo below is an interesting one of a Birmingham Street but it looks as if it's location will probably never be known.
Let's now turn our attention to residential properties as we've probably exhausted clues for the time being on the commercial properties damaged during the War. Here are three:

index.php

Last edited:
oldMohawk:

I remember sitting beside the Grand Union canal, watching GWR trains, and engine spotting, from behind the back of, I think, an employment exchange, somewhere just there. This would have been around 1945/46.

Eddie

Hi Eddie, Yes these old pics bring back the memories. The hobby of engine or train spotting !
The young ones of today would wonder what we saw in it - but it was a day out with the lads.
I think these days some people collect the names on Eddie Stobart lorries.
oldmohawk

A lovely Edwardian scene of Grove Lane, Handsworth. Two seated ladies waiting for the tram, the interest of one lady in the photographer while others are unaware of him and the guy on the bike who seems oblivious to all, including the approaching tram! The photo calls it 'Boulevard', and by that I take to mean having the appearance of a boulevard rather than its location. Or is it? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 76
Hi Viv, it certainly is a very nice photo of Handsworth, looks like a Sunday Morning and they're off to church. As far as I can see, there is only a single tramline with the tram going away from the photographer. I had a look on GE and there is a part of Grove Lane today which is dual carriageway.
Phil.

Hi Phil. Just had a look at the 1917 OS map and it seems to be the junction of Grove Lane and Oxhill Road. The tram lines seem to split along the dual carriageway. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 24
Hi Viv I think you have found the exact spot. When I look at the pic more closely, I can see the tram track on the other side of the road, and the overhead lines on that side. Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back