• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Exchange Building

Hi Rupert. I've added a couple of engraving images of the school (pre-Barry, gothic building) to the 'King Edward's School, New Street' thread which might be of interest. It's not entirely clear what images were on that thread before the hacking so I thought they were worth posting. Viv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Viv. they were here before, except one was new to me. If you look at some of the old maps, it would seem that the 17th century Guild Hall might not have occupied as lengthy a frontage on New Street as the two later dedicated schools which cornered on Peck Lane. At least the Barry building did and that was supposed to have the same footprint as it's predecessor Georgian Building....I have read. I believe that the school was started in the Guild Hall in part to prevent the building from being demolished in a religeous purge at the time. It is only on some maps of questionable accuracy but they seem to show other structures in between the Guild building and Peck Lane. You can still visit Peck Lane and someone on here took a photo of a plaque dedicated to the school that was there. I wish they would re-name it Peck Lane...they have done something with Spiceal Street and Peck Lane is in it's exact original location. Start a movement...I will have to learn how to post pictures all over again...darn it.
Peck Lane did lead to a rather unsavory dungeon though...ah...what the heck.

Last edited:
View attachment 72656View attachment 72294View attachment 72294View attachment 72294View attachment 72294View attachment 72187I think this belongs here. I don't know the provenance of the picture and can't read the print.

Here is a picture that was on before...looking towards High Street from about New Street. It's mid 1800s probably about the time that the final King Edwards school was built. The building on the right is on the corner of Peck Lane and King Edwards is on the opposite corner. This building would have been around when the first dedicated school was built and how long before that is unknown. Anyway at this time it looks a bit the worse for wear...the roof looks challenged and the gables have been removed (can be seen in other pictures). It is not known if the Exchange is there at this point...too far along the street and no shadows to be seen...they seem to go the other way. Anyway somewhere along on the left would be the opening to Union Passage and in the distance, just beyond the school, can be seen the portico to The Hen And Chickens posting inn. The carriages in the centre of the street are parked...possibly cabs awaiting fares...not stage coaches. One wonders about parking facilities for coaches back then though. It might have been in short supply. In the distance on the right beyond the Hen And Chickens can be seen the offset building denoting the corner of Worcester Street...pree Albion/Arden? Hotel days. Beyond that would be a New Street entrance to the Swan Hotel and the buildings at the end would be on High Street...suprisingly high buildings...that would be latterly supplanted by The Times building and the Swan location would become that for The Rotunda.
Anyway I thought that this picture belongs here also and adds a little more depth to this location. The current building that lies in the location of King Edwards I think is on the same plot and the corner of the building is located right on the corner of Peck Lane and the opening between the buildings there now, is in fact that of Peck Lane. There is a plaque on the building to the memory of King Edwards School at this corner. If Mike could overlay the 1890 survey on Google E. it might proove this point or otherwise. If a current day photo in the same direction could be made it would give a further progression of the streetscape through time.

The picture post did not work...maybe the old way does not work yet.

Last edited:
Thanks Rupert. Would love to see the picture if, in time, it can be posted as it sounds like a very interesting addition to this thread. I don't remember seeing that one anywhere on here before. Viv.

Hi again Rupert. I've posted a photo looking along New Street which Phil has kindly suggested might have been taken from where the Rotunda stands today. That would make it close to the area you mention around Peck Lane. It's on "New Street City Centre" thread. Don't know how much this this helps. Other members have helped to pinpoint the view and it's probably a view looking down New Street towards the junction with Corporation Street. Viv.

Two 1960s photos of the site formerly occupied by the Exchange Building. The first is 1965. Would those arches be remains of the basement of the Exchange Building? The second is 1966, not much progress on the new building. In fact the building that eventually went up wasn't progress either. The number plate on that Mini would fetch a few bob nowadays! Viv

s_Place_1965.JPG

s_Place_1966.JPG

i was going to say cracking pics viv but they are so sad really...the loss of the exchange building was sheer vandalism in my eyes especaill as you say look what replaced it..

thanks viv i have not seen these pics before..

lyn

Hi Lyn. Wonder if the Council will ever get rid of that awful ramp?! From what I remember, it can only be described as an eyesore. Viv.

If you look at the arches in post #22...the other side of the fence behind them sloping down hill is the remains of Peck Lane. Gives an insight to the slope. Wish I could post a picture.

If you look at the arches in post #22...the other side of the fence behind them sloping down hill is the remains of Peck Lane. Gives an insight to the slope. Wish I could post a picture.

Thanks Rupert. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may now be able to post pictures using the old method (pre-hacking) if that's any help. Viv.

And here's our beloved Exchange Building once again.....not! Photograph evidently taken while the Midland Bank still being completed and bereft of any charm.....still is!
image.php

Exactly how I feel about it, Richie. Thankfully they didn't demolish the original Bank on the right. Small mercies I suppose ..... Viv.

A wood engraving of the opening of the Birmingham Exchange Building which appeared on the front cover of the Illustrated London News on 14 January 1865. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328652595.159381.jpg

I have finally managed to post the painting on post #16 and it also applies to post #19. It's a bit confused I know because of posting probs. More to follow I hope.

That's a stunning picture Rupert. Never seen it before. The cabs in the middle of the road I think would have been the car stand for the Hen and Chickens. Thanks for posting, a great addition. Viv.

Don't recall ever having seen this view of Stephenson's Place before. We have the Exchange Building to the left and Midland Bank (now Waterstones) to the right alongside Attwood's statue. Looks to be about 1930s? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352046714.849199.jpg

A very good description from the Birmingham Post newspaper in 1863 on the opening of the Exchange building (extracted from the BHF thread "From Birmingham Post 150 years ago " posted by Mikejee).

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1420292484.408527.jpg

I do love this turn of the century view of the Exchange in Stephenson Place. A thriving and bustling centre of Town. Although I wonder why the young lad is sitting on the roadway? Begging perhaps? Posing for the photographer? Viv.

image.jpeg

A quick glance reminded me of the Town Hall in Trumpton. :D
A spectacular view I dare say could be had from the balcony upon the spire. I don't recall the building though I often walked in Stephenson Place in the early 1950's.
As they say "the streets are narrow and the rooves are high", in other words people often do not look upwards.

Last edited:
I do love this turn of the century view of the Exchange in Stephenson Place. A thriving and bustling centre of Town. Although I wonder why the young lad is sitting on the roadway? Begging perhaps? Posing for the photographer? Viv.

View attachment 112267

Wheeler and Wilson....There are many adverts in the 1860 papers for the world-reknowned silent sewing machine manufactures from Broadway, New York. As Ray Shill tells us in his book "The Workshop of the World" this seems to be the agency through which they were sold in England. The advert advises that Shakespeare were not now agents.

Of all the buildings Birmingham has lost, to me this is the biggest loss of them all, perhaps up there with Snow Hill Station. I think it is because that part of town would be so much more impressive if it was still there.

Although when you look at how they struggle to make use of the Methodist Central Hall, maybe there was a case for putting more practical buildings in their place. Seems like such a shame though! And I think this would have fared better because of its location.

Welcome Stan. I totally agree about the Exchange. What a difference it would make to anyone arriving at New Street and stepping out into the City Centre if the Exchange was your first impression.

Central Hall certainly is out of the way, but maybe with a bit of creative thinking it could be put to better use. I often wonder if the University has ever explored the idea of using it.

Thanks for posting. And enjoy the forum. Viv.

Always thought the tower on top of the Exchange Building was particularly ungainly. In this view it looks especially so. To me it doesn’t add anything to the overall look of the building, although it was distinctive. I wonder, though, if it had another purpose. Why were there railings around it ? How did you get on to the gantry ? And why ? Was it simply for ventilation ? No date for image, but maybe 1920s/30s (?). Viv.

DFC7BF60-4DDB-44E3-8407-30C176A709FE.jpeg

Last edited:
I love it, in particular the tower, it’s a Gothic Revival Masterpiece making a bold statement.

The Gothic style was inspired by the Gilbert Scots and it gave Brittan its industrial look and identity. It embraced the glory of god and reflected the power of money. The Gothic style in industry took the language from the past and built the way to the future. It celebrates new technology and progress.

I would image that there would have been access to the gantry, even if it was only done as an architectural enhancement. The railing on top of little Ben have an access door. Some building used the towers or domes as part of the air conditioning system. The council house had a ring of gas burners around the inside of the dome that vented through the four louver vents on the dome.

Back