• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Exchange Building

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Exchange Stephenson Place
Showell wrote:
Exchange.—Corner of Stephenson Place and New Street, having a frontage of 64 feet to the latter, and 186 feet to the former. The foundation stone was laid January 2, 1863, the architect being Mr. Edward Holmes, and the building was opened January 2, 1865, the original cost being a little under £20,000. It has since been enlarged (1876-78) to nearly twice the original size, under the direction of Mr. J.A. Chatwin. The property and speculation of a private company, it was (December 2, 1880) incorporated, under the Joint Stock Companies' Act, and returns a fair dividend on the capital expended. In addition to the Exchange and Chamber of Commerce proper, with the usual secretarial and committee rooms appertaining thereto, refreshment, billiard, and retiring rooms, &c., there is a large assembly-room, frequently used for balls, concerts, and entertainments of a public character. The dimensions of the principal hall are 70 feet length, 40 feet width, with a height of 23 feet, the assembly-room above being same size, but loftier. The central tower is 110 feet high, the turret, in which there was placed a clock made by John Inshaw, to be moved by electro-magnetic power (but which is now only noted for its incorrectness), rising some 45 feet above the cornice. Other portions of the building are let off in offices.
https://ia331307.us.archive.org/2/items/showellsdictiona14472gut/14472-h/14472-h.htm
Such a pity that the Exchange was demolished in 1965

Nice info & finds - your on a run!

I've not seen these pics before or that it was an Iron Work Exchange (pic 2) - I have some other pics at https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31473 as Henry J T Piercy of Broad Street Engine Works opened the first telephone service in Brum in the Birmingham Exchange building (I guess near the top) in the Autumn of 1879.

Great stuff

re: Pic-1 - strange Valentines to send - maybe the members of the Forum would appreciate it though. Any idea what the strange structure in the middle is?

I am afraid that this thread is still a work in progress, Aidan. Writers seem to have commonly been interested in the fabric & overlooked its ussage. Even 'Lloyds speech reprinted in The Lloyds of Birmingham did not seem to refer to the purpose of the Exchange. British History Online makes only a passing mention & avoids reference to ussage.

According to Chris Upton, writing in A History of Birmingham, the Exchange provided a place to negotiate deals, although office & shops space was made available too.

great thread to start shirley...i have wondered exactly what the purpose of the exchange was...

cheers..

lyn:)

From one of the links, an 1862 description:

Dining Rooms.—The (dining room in each mezzanine plan, No. 3 and 16, is similarly situated, and is the same size as the refreshment room; it is accessible by means of handsome stone stairs, approached from the lower entrance in Stephenson Place, the same being continued to the refreshment room, which room may also, if necessary, be used in connection with dining room; the lift and serving room adjoins dining room. Private offices are conveniently arranged on this landing.

I recall that in the 1940s (and perhaps later?) this was a public restaurant, still accessed by the "handsome stone stairs" directly off the street if I remember correctly, at the bottom of Stephenson Place and quite close to New Street Station. Was taken there as a child a few times and, of course, never gave the rest of the magnificent building a glance nor questioned its function. Just another boring, soaring Victorian Brum building, caked in soot. The station was FAR more interesting.

Chris

thank you chris..this is most helpful...what a disgrace to demolish it..the times ive walked up that boring ramp to get to the pallasades never realising what kind of sacrifice was made to build it....think i would have been about 11 when it went so have no memory at all of it...

lyn

The picture and info are from “Birmingham people & places”, the 1889 volume, so picture is presumably just before that.
The foundation was laid 21/1/1863 by Henry van Wart, and the idea of it came from Edwin Lander. It was designed by Edward Holmes of Birmingham. The entrance to the exchange was in Stephenson place, while the Assembly rooms entrance was on New St. On either side of the entrance are entrances to shops, and offices , and stairs to the dining & refreshment rooms . the entrance communicates to the exchange, chamber of commerce and offices associated with them.
The 1867. 68 and 73 directories, which would have been only a few years after the building was completed, list the Chamber of Commerce and the Exchange Reading room, a number of corn, metal and other merchants, an insurance company and other agents and offices. No mention is made of an actual exchange., though presumably merchants would talk and negotiate in the chamber of commerce.
Mike

ExchangeBlg1890_.jpg

I notice in the very first picture there are some ladders in the middle , they appear in a number of old postcard, and I wondered what they were for and what time period they were there for ?

The Birmingham Exchange building has been discussed under various threads, but since the loss of the images on threads, the record seems a bit incomplete and dispersed. Looking at a description of the plans for the building in 1862 provides a fascinating insight into this building. From these plans I get the impression that the building would be very innovative and multi-purpose. Here are a few of the details:
Gothic design, coloured brick facings, using Bath and coloured stone and coloured brick, in bands, strings, arches and cornices. Coloured stone also was to be sparingly used in detached columns of windows. Frontage 186 ft on Stephenson Place and 63 ft on New Street. Interior to have exposed stained timber and painted ironwork.
Exchange. Entrance from Stephenson’s Place. Dimensions 70ft x 40ft and 21ft 6” high. Two rows of columns, giving strength to the building and carrying the Assembly Room floor. Six wide windows. Entrance and Exchange floor to be laid with encaustic and plain tiles and bands of stone upon brick arches, supported by cast iron girders. Cast iron girders also planned to carry cross walls over shops
Assembly room. Planned to be on the first floor over the Exchange. Floor was to be carried on wrought iron girders supported on columns. A gentleman’s ante room 22ft x 17ft with adjoining hat and cloak room, water closets and lavatories, a room also intended for gentlemen to meet before dinner or as a card room. Also plans for a ladies retiring room, water closet and lavatory near to the Assembly room. A refreshment and supper room was to be entered from the Assembly room, with provisions supplied from a lift. A dining room on the floor below could be used for supper or refreshments when balls were held in the Assembly room, both approached by a stone staircase from Stephenson’s Place.
Masonic Hall. Planned for the third floor, fronting New Street (40ft x 30ft and 18ft high) with 2 ante rooms and water closets and lavatories.
Vaults. Vaults and warehouse room in the basement, one story deep with covered entrance for unloading goods.
Shops. 5-7 shops fronting Stephenson Place with sitting rooms or vaults and connected water closets. Shops on either side of Stephenson Place entrance suitable for telegraph offices. 3 shops fronting New Street for letting separately or joined to rooms above. Separately let shops would have a connected dining room, pantry, water closet and coal place in the basement. A bedroom was also available on the upper floor for the person to live on the premises.
Culinary offices. Kitchen (27ft x 26ft) and culinary offices to be above the dining rooms. Kitchen with adjoining scullery, pantries, larder, coal, stores, knife house and plate closet. Lift connecting each floor from basement to kitchen. Cellaring for wines, beers and coals available. And a two bedroom residence for the resident cook or superintendent.
Stairs from Stephenson Place to offices. Also stairs next to the Grammar School for use by orchestras and performers. Stairs behind corner shop connecting with the masonic rooms on the third floor.
Heating. A room in the basement was to provide heating. Warm and cold air flues were to be connected to the Exchange and Assembly rooms by ornamental cast iron sliding gratings. All the offices and smaller rooms were to be warmed by fires.

Here is a drawing of the 1862 plans:

Exchange_Buildings_as_planned_Aug_1862.JPG

And this is the Exchange in 1890

ExchangeBlg1890~0.JPG

Viv.

In the first picture there is quite a bit of detail in the dark shaddow on the right. If the shaddows are lightened this detail can be seen and it reveals a unique sighting of the early buildings on the corner of New Street. Not that the picture is not great but I don't think these corner buildings are shown elsewhere on here.

Hi Rupert. I've lightened that section of the drawing.These buildings must have been demolished when the Midland Bank was built on this corner. Seem to remember a photo of their demolition somewhere on here, but I doubt I'd now be able to find it since the hacking, but will try and find the reference and drop this into the thread. Meanwhile here's the drawing ... Viv.

Stephenson_Place___New_Street_junction_1862.jpg

This 1954 photo of the interior nicely demonstrates the use of cast iron pillars and girders in the Exchange structure and the tiling used on the floor. Viv.

Exchange_BHam_interior_1954.JPG

Oh, I was by the building many times, like most of us I suspect, I never was inside though. I never had a reason to go in or knowledge that one could just do so for no reason. A pity really and one wishes that one had been a bit more adventurous in those days.
Beyond the pillars it looks like there are newspaper reading stands perhaps. Yes there is a demolition picture of the corner and those buildings in the shaddows are what was demolished. The bank and Burlington Passage and the hotel was built...gosh an improvement...cripes they still exist. Keep it quiet.

nearly at the point of demolision...what a shame that we have lost this building..

img108-1.jpg

Sad sight Lyn, thanks for digging this one out. When you look at the 'carcass' of the building it almost looks impossible to fit all the different functions it was supposed to have inside it. But then I suppose there was also the stretch along New St too. The building was also supposed to have been extended along New St about 1877.

Rupert I was beginning to wonder if I'd imagined the demolition of the Georgian buildings in the sketch in post #3, but still can't find which thread that was on. Interestingly Edward Holmes, the architect of the Exchange, also designed the Midland Bank building (now Waterstone's) on the opposite side of Stephenson's Place. Viv.

sad indeed viv..especially when you think that just about where that building is thats coming down there is now...wait for it....a mac donalds... what progress that is....just beggers belief...

lyn

At last I've tracked down a copy of the the photo I was vaguely referring to in post #3, not exactly a demolition photo, more a start to new building. This 1867 view across to the Exchange shows the foundation stone being laid before commencement of the building of Midland Bank on the corner of Stephenson Place and New St (now the splendid Waterstones Bookshop). So the former georgian buildings have been demolished, but what a wonderful example replaced it in the Midland Bank. Pity we can't say the same about the Midland Bank premises (now HSBC) when it moved across the road to the ramp which replaced the Exchange Building in the 1960s. But at least the glorious Victorian bank is still there for us to enjoy. Viv.

Midland_Bank_New_Street_1867_laying_the_foundation_stone.jpg

I am always looking at the edges of these pictures. If you look at the left hand edge of the opening post 1#, you will see the last version there of King Edwards grammer school and in between that and the Exchange, is a lower two story building (the Exchange was eventually extended backwards) Anyway the lower two story is shown on a painting that was on here somewhere. The two story must have been around prior to the last Gothic King Edwards and maybe went back to the old Guild House times. The picture looked in the same direction as these pictures and also gave a view of the 'Hen And Chickens' and the High Street end of New Street can be seen.

Will certainly have a look around Rupert for a picture or photo which includes the lower building as it would take us much further back into the history. If it's connected to old guilds, perhaps there's an historical link (a very loose one?) to the purpose of the Exchange? Or am I way off beam here! Viv.

In 1867 directly next door to the exchange was Curtis & Curtis, tailors at no 117 and then Assembly Rooms. Not sure if assembly rools were associated with the school though

Thanks Mike. Those addresses could well be the old buildings as the Exchange wasn't extended until about 1877. Still looking for the view which Rupert referred to in post #10 which might give some more clues. I've read a few articles about KEGS New Street and they were in possession of a lot of property including some on New Street but from the documents it's not easy to work out where exactly the land and buildings were (they're referred to as 'messuages' in old documents). Viv.

viv
I have to correct my post. It was Curtis & Curtis, not Carter & Curtis - need new specs (or rather need to actually use the ones I have). I have corrected the original
i wasn't sure when it was extended. A little later there is just 116-117 listed as Curtis & curtis (The exchange is presumably then listed only as Stephenson place), with Samuel Sadler, tailor at 115.
mike

I am always looking at the edges of these pictures. If you look at the left hand edge of the opening post 1#, you will see the last version there of King Edwards grammer school and in between that and the Exchange, is a lower two story building (the Exchange was eventually extended backwards) Anyway the lower two story is shown on a painting that was on here somewhere. The two story must have been around prior to the last Gothic King Edwards and maybe went back to the old Guild House times. The picture looked in the same direction as these pictures and also gave a view of the 'Hen And Chickens' and the High Street end of New Street can be seen.

Here's an 1830s drawing of KE School on New St showing the buildings between it and the area where the Exchange would be built around 30 years later. Don't know if this was the exact view Rupert referred to in his post, but I think it shows some of the buildings he refers to. The drawing is taken from the website: www.staffshomeguard.co.uk

King_Edwards_FS_abt_1830s.jpg

Also from the "staffshomeguard" site is another view in 1905 which demonstrates how that stretch of buildings was filled when the Exchange reached it's final development. A nice view of the Exchange New Street elevation. Viv.

New_StPostcard1905.jpg

Maybe the color painting from the other end will re-appear. It shows the frontal details of the building on the corner of Peck Lane which still exists under a different guise...a delivery alley now ...not a lane leading to the prison. This two story building would have been there prior to the building of the gothic King Edwards in about 1834ish and would have been on the same corner when the previous Georgian style King Edwards was still there. One wonders if it had existed in the 18th century when the old Guild Hall was still around. Possibly. Anyway, the older Georgian style school was smaller than the later one and had an open courtyard between two wings at the front which must have been viewed as a waste of usable space by the new Head Master. This later building was larger and had a full frontage on New Street.
I don't think that a sketch or painting or anything visual, has been seen, of the old Guild Hall. It would be marvelous to find something. It was called The Guild Hall of the Holy Cross. Did it have a tower with a cross on it? Was the Georgian school designed similarly...it had a tower and can be seen here with and without a cross on it. The old two story on the corner of Peck Lane was semi-timbered and had a store front with large windows of small panes of glass and a red tiled roof. In the 1830s it was a little the worse for wear and the attic gables had been removed and it was no doubt on the 'demo list' by then. The last link with a bygone age on that stretch.
I have not seen that sketch of King Edwards post #15 before Viv. There are lots of similar aspects though and some times around the edges one can glean a few things. I wondered what the roof patches were on the two story (lost painting)...removed attic gables. Great.

The painting is looking towards High St from Corporation St. It's been on here before but have no details about it for credits. It shows what must be Peck Lane between King Edwards and the afore mentioned older decaying building on the other corner. This was to be demolished for the extension of The Exchange. The carriages would be cabs I think waiting for fares and The portico of The Hen And Chickens can be seen beyond KE. and the buildings on the corner of Worcester Street beyond there. The exchange would be on the immediate right just out of pan.

Attachments

• King Edwards New St.jpg
    King Edwards New St.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back