• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Exchange Building

If you look at the arches in post #22...the other side of the fence behind them sloping down hill is the remains of Peck Lane. Gives an insight to the slope. Wish I could post a picture.

Thanks Rupert. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may now be able to post pictures using the old method (pre-hacking) if that's any help. Viv.

And here's our beloved Exchange Building once again.....not! Photograph evidently taken while the Midland Bank still being completed and bereft of any charm.....still is!
image.php

Exactly how I feel about it, Richie. Thankfully they didn't demolish the original Bank on the right. Small mercies I suppose ..... Viv.

A wood engraving of the opening of the Birmingham Exchange Building which appeared on the front cover of the Illustrated London News on 14 January 1865. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328652595.159381.jpg

I have finally managed to post the painting on post #16 and it also applies to post #19. It's a bit confused I know because of posting probs. More to follow I hope.

That's a stunning picture Rupert. Never seen it before. The cabs in the middle of the road I think would have been the car stand for the Hen and Chickens. Thanks for posting, a great addition. Viv.

Don't recall ever having seen this view of Stephenson's Place before. We have the Exchange Building to the left and Midland Bank (now Waterstones) to the right alongside Attwood's statue. Looks to be about 1930s? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352046714.849199.jpg

A very good description from the Birmingham Post newspaper in 1863 on the opening of the Exchange building (extracted from the BHF thread "From Birmingham Post 150 years ago " posted by Mikejee).

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1420292484.408527.jpg

I do love this turn of the century view of the Exchange in Stephenson Place. A thriving and bustling centre of Town. Although I wonder why the young lad is sitting on the roadway? Begging perhaps? Posing for the photographer? Viv.

image.jpeg

A quick glance reminded me of the Town Hall in Trumpton. :D
A spectacular view I dare say could be had from the balcony upon the spire. I don't recall the building though I often walked in Stephenson Place in the early 1950's.
As they say "the streets are narrow and the rooves are high", in other words people often do not look upwards.

Last edited:
I do love this turn of the century view of the Exchange in Stephenson Place. A thriving and bustling centre of Town. Although I wonder why the young lad is sitting on the roadway? Begging perhaps? Posing for the photographer? Viv.

View attachment 112267

Wheeler and Wilson....There are many adverts in the 1860 papers for the world-reknowned silent sewing machine manufactures from Broadway, New York. As Ray Shill tells us in his book "The Workshop of the World" this seems to be the agency through which they were sold in England. The advert advises that Shakespeare were not now agents.

Of all the buildings Birmingham has lost, to me this is the biggest loss of them all, perhaps up there with Snow Hill Station. I think it is because that part of town would be so much more impressive if it was still there.

Although when you look at how they struggle to make use of the Methodist Central Hall, maybe there was a case for putting more practical buildings in their place. Seems like such a shame though! And I think this would have fared better because of its location.

Welcome Stan. I totally agree about the Exchange. What a difference it would make to anyone arriving at New Street and stepping out into the City Centre if the Exchange was your first impression.

Central Hall certainly is out of the way, but maybe with a bit of creative thinking it could be put to better use. I often wonder if the University has ever explored the idea of using it.

Thanks for posting. And enjoy the forum. Viv.

Always thought the tower on top of the Exchange Building was particularly ungainly. In this view it looks especially so. To me it doesn’t add anything to the overall look of the building, although it was distinctive. I wonder, though, if it had another purpose. Why were there railings around it ? How did you get on to the gantry ? And why ? Was it simply for ventilation ? No date for image, but maybe 1920s/30s (?). Viv.

DFC7BF60-4DDB-44E3-8407-30C176A709FE.jpeg

Last edited:
I love it, in particular the tower, it’s a Gothic Revival Masterpiece making a bold statement.

The Gothic style was inspired by the Gilbert Scots and it gave Brittan its industrial look and identity. It embraced the glory of god and reflected the power of money. The Gothic style in industry took the language from the past and built the way to the future. It celebrates new technology and progress.

I would image that there would have been access to the gantry, even if it was only done as an architectural enhancement. The railing on top of little Ben have an access door. Some building used the towers or domes as part of the air conditioning system. The council house had a ring of gas burners around the inside of the dome that vented through the four louver vents on the dome.

Back