• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cregoe Street

Lyn
There is a slight problem with this. Have we been through it before?. The reason I ask is that I already have on my machine a large scale map of court 5, which seems to show only 4 houses in the court. I also have one of court 9, which has a lot more. What I mean is, are you sure it is not no 5 court nine cregoe st. Below are the two palns and a larger scale map to make the exact position of each clear.
On the larger map ct 5 is in blue, ct 9 in red

map_c_1913__showing_court_9__and_5_cregoe_st.jpg

map_c_1889_cregoe_st_court_9.jpg

map_c_1889_cregoe_st_court_5.jpg

mike as soon as i sent that post i thought im sure ive been here before so yes you are right...hang on min as i 3 certs with this address on i will just go and check them all...

mike the certs all say 9 court 5 cregoe st...sometimes they dont put the word court first..if i was writing it i would put court 9 house 5 cregoe st ..so it is court no 9 mike...take it mike that its the one in pink then...oh mike what side of the street would that be on please..no good at directions either..thank you mike.

lyn

Lyn
The side of the street will depend on which end you are coming from. They are both on the west side, which would be on the right coming from Bath row
Mike

The first lodge in England of the Independent Order of Good Templars was in Cregoe Street. The Order first grew rapidly in the United States and in Canada to encourage temperance or complete abstinence from alcohol. In 1868, Joseph Malins returned to his native England and established a Birmingham lodge, from which IOGT spread to Europe and the rest of the world. Wonder why Cregoe Street was the chosen site for the first lodge? Viv.

vurupugu.jpg

Ha ha Robert. The Templars must have had a very difficult task. The chap in the doorway looks a very sober type, but the other, well I'm not so sure! Just been looking at the photo close up and the wall with the large sign looks like its been added to the picture. Maybe the sign on the side of the building was enlarged and added for the postcard. Viv.

I agree that it is a wonderful photo, viv. Apparently the chapel was just off Cregoe st in court 11.

map_c_1889__Morton_chapel2C_cregoe_st.jpg

The first photo is of a butchers shop corner of Cregoe Street and Grt Colmore Street, we called it the Butchers Corner where I used to hang about with Brian Burden, Denis Beard,Eric Shaw and others, second photo of Bradshaws we used to hang about on the other side of the road, corner of Latimer Street and Cregoe Street, third photo, if you look at that sign over the entry by the car it says Meeting Room, Brian Burden lived down that entry (as we used to call them) went to Sunday school in the Meeting Room, Brian had a brother called Jimmy, sister Brenda and an elder sister called Betty, she appeard in an issue of the Picture Post, we all went our seperate ways when they pulled the area down, but Denis and I used to go and see Brian who moved to Bartley Green.

I'm pretty sure this was called the Meeting Room down an entry in the lower half of Cregoe Street, used to go to Sunday school there in mid 40s

It was earlier called St Thomas's Boys Club run by an elderly gentleman called Ernest Mason, he was always in and out of St Thomas School, I went to the club late 40s and went on holidays organised by the Birmingham Federation of Boys Clubs.

My wife's grandparents and children lived in No 9 Court 5 House Cregoe Street in the First World War. Surname Browning.
Phil

mike if you spot this post i wonder could i ask for a map please marking out where 9 court 5 cregoe st was please..this was where my gt grandparents died just one day apart in 1908 aged 27 and 34 leaving 3 orphaned daughters the youngest was my gran just 8 months old..

many thanks mike..

lyn

hi phil...theres a very good chance then that your wifes grandparents moved into that house after my gt grandparents both died there...would you happen to have any old photos of the street

lyn

This thread has answered something that I had wondered about some 60+ years ago. BCT tramcars carried adverts for Bradshaws of Cregoe Street. I always wondered where that was and what it looked like. The pic here show me some of that area and particularly Bradshaws. The housing structures do fit into my initial mental picture of the area.

I had always assumed that my mother was born in the Farm Street/Guildford Street area. That is where her father had spent his earlier and later life and most of her life. I have just found out that at the age of 2, she was living at 2 bck of 82 Cregoe Street. There is no court number on the 1901 census so I couldn't use the previous maps.
Would you have a map of that part of the street by any chance Mike?

Michael.
the c1950 map is no use as 82, and others are missing, presumably bombed. However it is easy to determine it on the smaller scale map as 81 is still standing in 1950. Below is the map c 1937 showing no 82 in red. I cannot be sure which is 2 back 82, though would guess that it is the one in blue. It can be seen on the larger scale earlier plan of c1889, where back 82 is court 17, that some extra buildings seem to have been erected between 1889 and 1937

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing 82 cregoe st and court behind.jpg
    map c 1889 showing 82 cregoe st and court behind.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 37
  • map c 1937 showing 82 Cregoe St.jpg
    map c 1937 showing 82 Cregoe St.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 41
mike could i have a map showing house 5 court 9 please my gt grandparents died there in 1908..aged only 27 and 34 leaving 3 young children ...think its on the opposite to mikes no 82 but just a bit further down...mike a very good chance your grandparents knew my gt grandparents...

yes mike they do as we also have ledsam st in common and as you know paddington st round the corner from eden place guildford st...it was a small world back then...

lyn

Lyn
Two Mikes, very confusing !. Below is a map c1889 showing court 9 in green. Assuming the smaller buildings are not houises then no 5 would probably be the one in red. The 1905 map shows an identical layout

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing court 9 Cregoe ST.jpg
    map c 1889 showing court 9 Cregoe ST.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 28
Lyn
Have checked the electoral roll for court 9 in 1920 , and there were 6 houses, so I think it must have been the red house

Hi
A Of Birmingham published for the Earl of Dartmouth in 1824/5 showed that the then owner of the estate was caroline colmore
Who is recalled in caroline street, she had inherited her possesion from her brother,lionel
who had died childless and is recalled in Lionel street, according to the will of there grand father charles
rememberd in great charles street if his heirs had no issue then his lands, would eventualy go to his dear friend francis.
Lord Hertford of ragley Hall in Alcester, or to the mans son, Lord Yardmouth,
Consequently in 1829, the colmore estate was devided between caroline and the grand son of lord Hertford,
Eight years later caroline died in cheltenham and her share of the property was willed to her friend , Frind grego,
So long as he took the Name of colmore,
Although they had lived in Charlton House Gloucestershire along with caroline the gregoes were cornish ;; Hence Colmore street
Which until1898 was called Bread Street
During the 1850s the familys Bells farm Estate was Developed ;; leading to Bell barn road, cregoe street
And great colmore street, Building hereabout had begun 40 years earlier on Bath row and streets
Such as Exeter street and Bow street,
But now it now escaled dramatically, In frind cregoe,s will he left powers of the trustees on the estate of three men
They were Digby Latimer, James Irving, and George morris Barker, and it seems that it was they who encouraged
whole sale buildings Locally
most of it was back to back houses
i have got a picture of Bradshaws in a book best wishe Alan, Astonian,,,,

hi guys
here is bradshaws shop on Cregoe street as promised it looks on both sides of the streetscan0003.png

Last edited by a moderator:
many thanks for the map mike...its as i thought...mikes no 82 is as stones throw from my court 9

lyn

A couple of photos which I think may be new to the forum one shows the top end of Cregoe Street near to Bath Row, taken toward the end of the 50's I would imagine. The other shows the Woodman public house at the corner of Cregoe St & Irving Street shortly before it was demolished in 1961 (I think).

Attachments

• Lee Bank Cregoe Street  (2).JPG
    Lee Bank Cregoe Street (2).JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Lee Bank Cregoe St Woodman  .jpg
    Lee Bank Cregoe St Woodman .jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 77
thanks phil dont think ive got either of those...

mike would you be able to work out the numbers for phils pic 1 please...

lyn

I never visited Bradshaws shops as I was never taken there so it was interesting to see what they looked like. I knew of them from their advertisements on tramcars but the street name did conjure up to me a poor district compared to the more familiar city centre. I guess they were competitive in pricing and many a good bargain was to be had.
I noted that that street name (Latimer Street), in the pic in post 76, was converse to that normally in city road names. White letters on a dark ground rather than black letters on a white ground. I wonder how common, or otherwise, that might have been?

Lyn

I think the numbers of the houses start at number 2 after the commercial building at work upward sequentially. Though check with Mike to be sure.

hi guys
here is two more for your Album with the local houses still standing
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

Attachments

• scan0004.png
    scan0004.png
    483.1 KB · Views: 63
  • scan0006.png
    scan0006.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 61
Back