• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

Thanks Lyn. I expect the Summer Lane 'Barrel' is the one that interests Robb (re 'summer lane' thread) rather than the Snow Hill one then. Viv.

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. I expect the Summer Lane 'Barrel' is the one that interests Robb (re 'summer lane' thread) rather than the Snow Hill one then. Viv.

it could be viv....if so there are a few old photos of it on the forum...if memory serves me right i think the summer lane barrel was once known as the boy in the barrel

lyn

Here is a painting of one of the Barrels I painted some time ago, I had not heard of the other Barrel either, so many pubs in Birmingham its impossible to know them all, although a great deal no longer stand. EricThe Barrel Summer Lane.JPG

Lovely Eric. Unusual pub with that long sweeping roof. Quite a size too.

Interesting Lyn - 'Boy in the Barrel' ? Must be a story behind that. Viv.

Last edited:
Lovely Eric. Unusual pub with that long sweeping roof. Quite a size too.

Interesting Lyn - 'Boy in the Barrel' ? Must be a story behind that. Viv.

always loved that painting eric...

viv thinking again it could have been the lad in the barrel...i was told about this years ago by someone...will try and find out more as it could just have been known as that by the locals or then again it could have been its proper name..

lyn

This 1789 painting by W.Allen is called "A Birmingham Prize Fight". But where is it supposed to be? Viv.
image.jpeg

Is this W.Allen a known artist because I can find only Sir William Allan born 1782 of about this period. His first known painting was in 1803

Isaac_Perrins___Ev_dispatch_19_6_1915.jpg
Apparently Isaac Perrins was known as the "Birmingham Goliath", being about 6ft 2 inch tall. the evening dispatch seems clear that the fight was at Banbury. A brief description of Isaac is below from Ev. Dispatch in 1915

Thanks Janice and Mike. Seems the 62 round (!) fight definitely took place at Banbury but I read this in relation to a token that was issued after the fight:

"The battle took place at Banbury, in Oxfordshire, upon a turf-stage, twenty-four feet square, railed in, and raised about five feet from the ground."

The painting doesn't seem to me to show an area raised 5ft from the ground nor to be 24ft sq. But I expect the painter's focus was on the the 'David and Goliath' aspects of the fight rather than accurately portraying the venue. Additionally the sheep in the background could easily refer to Banbury's sheep farming history.

I read somewhere else that Perrins may have been a preacher in Handsworth. I expect this would have been as a lay preacher.

Viv.

I love this 1827 Wm Radclyffe engraving of David Cox's drawing of the market. When looked at in close-up there's a wealth of detail; the poultry for sale hanging by their legs, the dog eyeing up the live ducks and geese, the hats of the various vendors (some, I think, wearing a specific hat for their occupation, like the baker). Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 33
Vivienne, wonderful subject and a wonderful piece of Artwork, David Cox is a favourite artist of mine and, in my humble opinion, Birmingham's greatest Artist. I envy artists's of years ago, surrounded by wonderful choices of subjects, now mostly disappeared. Most of my work is now from old black and white pics, not the same as sitting in front of the selected view, that is why I went on so many painting holidays abroad (to old now I'm afraid) , to sit outside and paint en plain air, you can't beat it ! Eric

Good point Frothy. Think it sits well against the church. And maybe we can go as far as to say the market space in the drawing is still an empty space? That seems incredible if it's never been built over. Or has it? Viv.

crikey jim what a great tool that is...you can go all over brum with it...i was interested to see that before spring hill rollar rink there was a school on the ground...more research for me to do so thanks for the link

lyn

Agree Lyn great tool. Jim would you mind posting a thread with that tool on it under the Map & Mapping section please? I think many other members would find it useful. Many thanks. Viv.

I couldn't see any poultry, loads of geese, but loads of rabbits and hares. food for the working class's I would think.Paul

Vivienne, a wonderful artist but I prefer the more recent artist Arthur Lockwood (perhaps because he paints the subjects I like), have attached an example of his work, Gas Street basin 1953, a favourite subject of mine which I have painted many times from the late 70's onwards. Eric

Attachments

• Gas Street basin.jpg
    Gas Street basin.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 40
Back