• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Wood

I lived at 25 Greenaleigh Rd in the fifties, Denaby Grove was opposite on the other side with Ravenshill Rd between them.

I remember two people called Sam and Peggy who lived in the Grove, they had come from Curzon Street, where they were neighbours of my gran and granddad.

Hi Bernard,

I have just sent you a PM twice. I did not think the first one had gone through.

Chris Beresford

....and what about "The Record Shop" next to bottom Flint's...bought my first 45 from there - can't remember how much it was - about 5/- I think?

I'm amazed that the Simpson's shop is still there as well.

Mrs. Flint and John used to live up on the posh end of Yardley Wood Road in Moseley near to Wake Green Road.

Also an ex-Highters Heathian - left in 1967. Anybody remember Miss Martin and Mrs. Deakin? Also Mr.Coley and Mrs Bagshaw from the Infants school?

Happy days (I think....)

I remember buying records from that shop as well. There was a very pretty young girl called Wendy who worked there and I asked her out but she refused! Does any body remember the barbers which was the other side of bottom Flints?

Oh yes.....as a child I remember the wooden plank they used to put across the seat so the barber could cut your hair.......also the unconvincing reply to my question of "what's surgical rubberwear??" (there was an advert for a certain weekend oriented product emblazoned across a mirror in the shop) of "its the rubber gloves that doctors wear when they're doing operations"!

I used to wonder why I never saw any surgeons in there buying their gloves! :friendly_wink::friendly_wink::friendly_wink:

Contraceptives were purchased vey discreetly, and cigarettes quite openly. Now the situation is reversed. Strange old world. Eddie

Hi Bishops mate.

I remember the Drews very well. Pat, Molly and Oliver the lad mentioned. The older brother I didn't know. They lived at 54 Cleeve Road,. We lived at number 50. Mom, Dad,both now dead. My younger brother Pete Died in 1987.

I have no idea where the Drews are now, as I left there in 1950 to go into the Army.

Hi to you all,

I have not been on the list for a while. I was wondering if anyone has any photos of the 1953 Street Party for Highters Heath Lane, the corner of Glenavon Road. Opposite Gorleston Road, as I am desparetely trying to find any photos that may still exist within families that were local to that end of the road. I have now retired so have a bit more time. Thanks to all that may read this. Regards, Jennie

I'd like to see a picture of our street party too, Jennie.
We were just around the corner in Sladepool Farm Rd on that cold soggy day. We had the Betty Barnes dancers on a makeshift stage and even they failed to brighten things up !

Sorry not the street party requested but from my first wife's family photos here is the one that took place in Riley Road or possibly Daimler Road, Yardley Wood.

Coronation Street Party Riley Road.jpg

Hi, thanks for this, but as you say Bernard this a different photo, but as the one I'm looking for was used for an insurance adverting leaflet someone must have taken it. Regards, Jennie

I'd like to see a picture of our street party too, Jennie.
We were just around the corner in Sladepool Farm Rd on that cold soggy day. We had the Betty Barnes dancers on a makeshift stage and even they failed to brighten things up !

We lived next but one house to the waste ground opposite to the outdoor, the Catholic Church was just inside Glenavon Road. I can remember playing kick the can with other kids in the street. Happy days.

Hi, thanks for this, but as you say Bernard this a different photo, but as the one I'm looking for was used for an insurance advertising leaflet someone must have taken it. Regards, Jennie
Hi Jenny I have just been informed by one of the people who were there on the day that this was she recalls a VE Day celebration - unfortunately it was stuck into an album so even where there anything written on the back I could not read it.. In which case I will need to move it probably tomorrow.

We lived next but one house to the waste ground opposite to the outdoor, the Catholic Church was just inside Glenavon Road. I can remember playing kick the can with other kids in the street. Happy days.

If you mean that group of houses that lay further back, Jennie, opposite Gorleston, then I remember a kid called Tyler lived there.(I used to get sent to that outdoor regularly to get ten Churchmans for Our Mom !).

Hi Bishops mate.

I remember the Drews very well. Pat, Molly and Oliver the lad mentioned. The older brother I didn't know. They lived at 54 Cleeve Road,. We lived at number 50. Mom, Dad,both now dead. My younger brother Pete Died in 1987.

I have no idea where the Drews are now, as I left there in 1950 to go into the Army.

Pat and Molly live in Looe and still going strong. Pattie moved to Ullenhall with Frank and then Molly bought the 'cottage' next door back in the eighties. Mom Drew then moved out there to look after the house 'cos Molly still lived in Doncaster. Mom Drew died early nineties. I understand that the older brother Bert, lived in Lapworth and retired to North Wales.

Hi, You mentioned Hick Street Balsall Heath. I lived there until I was 4.5 yrs old. My family name was Ansell, my parents lived with my fathers parents George and Elizabeth Ansell. My father's name was Gilbert and my mom's Joyce. Any recollections?

Hi Baz,

Yes it was that group of houses, as was the second from the field, the first one was Simpson's, then ours Walton's, then Barlow, Haylor, Spence, and then Tyler's. How small the world is one of the older Tyler's lives close to me now, in Worcestershire.

Hi Jenny I have just been informed by one of the people who were there on the day that this was she recalls a VE Day celebration - unfortunately it was stuck into an album so even where there anything written on the back I could not read it.. In which case I will need to move it probably tomorrow.

Hi Bernard,

did you have any luck with the photo you mentioned above? Regards Jennie

Hi Baz,

Yes it was that group of houses, as was the second from the field, the first one was Simpson's, then ours Walton's, then Barlow, Haylor, Spence, and then Tyler's. How small the world is one of the older Tyler's lives close to me now, in Worcestershire.

I think the Tyler I knew was called Mick but I'm not sure, he was a very friendly kid. I was born in '41 and went to Highters Heath school.

Hi Bernard,

did you have any luck with the photo you mentioned above? Regards Jennie
Hi Jennie - I only have the party photo that I posted and which I then believed to be of the Coronation but was advised I was incorrect. No others sorry. My wife's maiden name was Pagett by the way.

Bernaed I love your wife maiden name. (Pagett by the way) are there many with that name? John Crump by the way.

Hi to the member who was looking for pictures of the area. If you go on eBay to the collectables, postcards, Yardley Wood, there are loads of piccies, maybe you can find what your looking for there!! Regards, Jennie

Hi John at one time all with the surname in the local directory were related.

Bernard.

A 1937 Birmingham libraries postcard of YardleyWood Station on Highfield Road. Might jog a few memories. Viv.

image.jpeg

And a very quaint Post Office at Yardley Wood. Sorry no date and no indication of exact location. Viv.

image.jpeg

No idea where the old post office was Viv, but a quick Google search on the current one, comes up as School Road in Yardley Wood.

Yardley Wood post office.jpg

Thanks Ell. Good to see the station's still there and functioning!

I assume there was once a Yardley Wood village where the PO would have been but finding it hard to imagine. Below is another postcard just with the title "Yardley Wood" so presume this was the village centre. Obviously still looks very rural at this time, as does the photo of the PO. In fact at first, I thought the PO was a farm. Maybe Mike could locate the PO on a map for us please?

What's that in the handcart? Looks like a metal band which is fixed onto barrels. Viv.

image.jpeg

Where Yardley Wood Station is, is actually part of Hall Green. I think Yardley Wood starts near the sections of the Shire Country Park, such as the Trittiford Mill Pool and The Dingles etc.

Art deco style architecture.

Yardley Wood Bus Garage on Yardley Wood Road.

Yardley Wood Library on Highfield Road.

Back