• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Wood

image.jpeg image.jpeg Can still see many similarities of the station in these two old images. The second image is from the Birmingham Libraries archive. Viv.

The b/w pic is much as I remember Yardley Wood railway station. I did not visit it often, as Shirley, and the smaller halts going southwards towards Henley-in-Arden and sometimes beyond were my haunts where I cycled to watch trains. I used to take a packed lunch and often eat it on one of those stations or on the Stratford canal bank where the trains ran close by. I had a very interesting time and was rarely home during the daytime, especially during the longer daylight days from April until September. The cooler/colder days were usually my city days - it usually felt warmer and more sheltered in the built up areas besides which there were warm places to visit. ;)
From just south of Shirley station it was possible to see trains setting off from Yardley Wood station. (Not saying where though). :eek:

Last edited:
The b/w pic is much as I remember Yardley Wood railway station. I did not visit it often, as Shirley, and the smaller halts going southwards towards Henley-in-Arden and sometimes beyond were my haunts where I cycled to watch trains. I used to take a packed lunch and often eat it on one of those stations or on the Stratford canal bank where the trains ran close by. I had a very interesting time and was rarely home during the daytime, especially during the longer daylight days from April until September. The cooler/colder days were usually my city days - it usually felt warmer and more sheltered in the built up areas besides which there were warm places to visit. ;)
From jusr south of Shirley station it was possible to see trains setting off from Yardley Wood station. (Not saying where though). :eek:
Hi, I too used to trainspot , my favourite place was the bridge in Scribers Lane, 3 or 4 of us always there back in the mid fifties. Loved to see the Cornishman pass thru round about 7 30 at night, sometimes did the old penny trick, put it on the line, bet you did too. Happy days eh?

Has anyone searched into the history of Yardley Wood. I am interested. have many pictures to share:)
Hi there. My mum was 16 when she had her first box brownie. She used a camera all round the Yardley Wood area until her death in 2013, she was 90. When I've finished scanning her pics I shall put some of those up on here.

Hi all
talking of yardley wood,my gran lived at 156 glastonberry rd during the 40s and early 50s.can any one remember
the local marching band.the billsley arcadians they were called.what happened to them??? Any ideas
My Grandad Harry Bentley ran the Billesley Arcadians and my Granny Ada made all the uniforms. They had 1 son and 6 daughters. There are still three of the Arcadians still living the youngest is nearly 90 and the other 2 are over 90. I have a lot of pictures of the band. Would anyone like to see them?

hello annie and welcome to the forum...how wonderful that your mum showed an interest in taking photos from an early age....i am sure they would be of great interest to our forum members..will look forward to seeing them when time permits and yes please photos of the band would be great

lyn

Post 182, of Yardley Wood station is looking towards Hall Green (and the city). Post 185 looks towards Shirley and the 'sticks'. The Scribers Lane pics are interesting. I cycled many times over that bridge and through the nearby fords that seem to abound on the River Cole. I guess - even after well over half a century I still have a love of rivers and canals - far more than the sea which I live close to.
Annie, I am sure many welcome viewing your photos once you have scanned them. Might I suggest you put Yardley Wood ones here on this thread but create a new topic for the Billesley Arcadians. That way the Arcadians pics will not be lost amongst all the YWood items and moe easily found at a later date.

thats unusual viv...does anyone know if the weir is still there and what is/was the location

lyn

There is a weir marked at the very end of Trittiford Mill Pond . The road shown is Scriber's Lane and the ford is marked. It is still there although I don't think it is as easy to see. Next time we walk that way I will try to photograph it. Last map is about 1970. First one was 1916.
dbebed45-d6a7-4e09-a15d-ae4d53e4ea7c

03dbe040-b396-4c9f-8c87-0da2f44c4e38

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_9-37-20.png
    upload_2018-4-28_9-37-20.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 28
  • upload_2018-4-28_9-39-38.png
    upload_2018-4-28_9-39-38.png
    281.7 KB · Views: 29
  • upload_2018-4-28_9-43-5.png
    upload_2018-4-28_9-43-5.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 27
Just added a later map as well Viv. When I thought about it I knew where it was as we often walk that way but turn off on a path just before the weir so I never really see it.
I did a quick check and couldn't see any other weirs marked nearby.

Last edited:
I spent many hours roaming the Cole, from near its source to Chinn Brook. I have the feeling the weir was between the Cole and the adjacent leats and associated small pools which served the mill referred to as a steel mill. Like all waterways there were a good number of mills, of one type or another, situated along them.
However, one place I always kept clear of - it was drummed into me at home - was weirs, deep and fast running water. Consequently my memory is not so clear of this weir and its function.
My favourite weir, to watch, is at Buckfast, Devon where the salmon frequently leap - not just for spawning but at other times as well especially in summer when the waters are slack.

Alan - I am posting another map which shows the weir and Priory Mill.
bd7dc86d-0e0a-405c-bc9c-a6abf2e2448d

2538a700-dcdc-4d3a-86c3-7e48e569cea7

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_10-22-15.png
    upload_2018-4-28_10-22-15.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 36
thanks janice....if you are able to go on a mission and take a photo that would be great

lyn

oldmill.jpg Here are some maps gleaned from the Acocks Green history site. I do not see mention of a weir however I am sure that the map previously posted which shows the wear near the Scribers Lane ford probably the place on Viviennes photo. I have not seen any other weirs mentioned.
There were many mills it seems in the vicinity. Few, in my childhood were available for viewing as they were private property. I do remember the formations and remaining evidence for the Shirley Brook mill but did not appreciate its significance at the time.
The Bache Mill was to the canal side of Priory Road on top of a hill, being a windmill. All the others were water mills located on races off the Cole. Due to the number of mills over a long period of time I believe has caused some confusion.
Hopefully these maps, if accurate, will show where they all were or still are even if having another use.
One mill not shown is, of course, Woollaston roller mill, adjacent to Shirley railway station, which replaced the Colebrook Priory mill and the windmill after WW1. This has been replaced, in recent times, by housing. I recall seeing the old, disused petrol pumps there, the loading bay and hearing the air raid siren which, as the building was tall, was located on the roof.

Attachments

• colebrook.jpg
    colebrook.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 15
  • titterford.jpg
    titterford.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 14
Found this in a book about the River Cole by John Morris Jones.
8f9943b5-2194-46a6-9487-2e2119b1e131

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_13-54-37.png
    upload_2018-4-28_13-54-37.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 35
Thank you for the information Janice. I looked for the book on a>z but no luck. However I see it is in pdf form on the web site I quoted in post 207.

I think I got it from that website ages ago, as I have a lot of the John Morris Jones material saved. Just needed to find it!

Back