• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

Not a very flattering view of 'Beautiful Birmingham' although I do like the painting - well I assume this pc was based on a painting. Sorry, no idea of artist and no idea of date. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375438365.558127.jpg

Great QUEENS sTREET 1765.jpgGreat Queen Street 1854 by Alfred Freeman Smith view is from the steps of the market hall across Worcester Street straight down Great Queens Street as it was then known

I always enjoy looking at that picture and must have caught the Worcester Midland Red by the wall on the right many times.

Sorry Vivienne, don't think much of that 'chimney painting', find it 'muddy' and overworked and far too many chimneys and hardly a compliment to Brum, just my opinion of course. Love the painting by Alfred Freeman Smith post 141, that's my kind of painting, would certainly give that house room. Particularly like the figures. Eric

This Margaret Noble 1920s watercolour poster is much different. I think it's Hill Street from Navigation Street. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375464190.464289.jpg

I think the buildings on the left (post 141) were still around in our time and the wall is very familiar too but...I think the distance between the two was greater than appears in the painting though... but that is what painting is about...creating a scene. The flavour of the location was still the same many years later even though there were cars and busses about. The market hall stairs were more expansive at that end. Pretty easy to paint today I suspect.
Yeah, the chimneys are pretty much an outsiders impression of the seemingly forgettable place that powered an empire...for what?

Vivienne, love that poster, clean, simple and great draughtsmanship/composition, particularly like the figures. Had ambitions of being a commercial artist myself when young, influenced by the 'Guinness' and the 'Ah Bisto' posters of the day, and the wonderful sea side posters you would see in railway carriages. Went to the Art school in Albert Road , Aston but dropped out and joined the RAF instead, such is the way of youth. No regrets. Eric

Bit of a modern view, but I saw this picture in the Navigation inn in Wootton Wawen, of Gas Street Basin

Compare to an old photo of mine

Don't know who the artist was though!

Ellbrown, I have painted Gas St basin many times over the last 30 years both for exhibition and commissions and cannot place that view, have attached one of my 1980 paintings of Gas St and it simply does not match yours at all. Exactly where did you take pic from???? (excellent pic by the way). EricGas St Basin 1980.JPG

This is, this time, a truly 'beautiful Birmingham' painting. It's a Samuel Lines' early 19th century view of 'The River Rea near Birmingham'. Lovely. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375625772.642410.jpg

berniew , only artist I know by that name is a modern artist name of David Jolly, certainly not him. Thanks anyway. I like the painting. Eric

Pleased to discover that the 1920s Margaret Noble poster mentioned in post #145 had two sections. Here's the full view. Like the smoke rising from the New Street trains passing below Navigation Street. V.

3ejaga5a.jpg

BBC Midland News have shown a Birmingham born artist Paul Horton with an exhibition of his paintings in BMAG. He was classed as a Birmingham Lowry. What they put on the news looked really good

I agree that what was shown looked good. Unfortunately the exhibition in the Water Hall runs only to 27th October so unlikely I shall get a chance to see it..

Just had a look at his work. I like this, feels sort of familiar.Viv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382654875.850254.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382654875.850254.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 36
thats great news ell...as 3 temple row west was where samuel lines had a drawing academy i take it the building is still there

lyn

I took a pic of the building today. No plaque on it yet (doesn't look like room on the façade)

Info from Pevsner:

3 Temple Row West has a stucco front of five low storeys and attic. Its complex history starts with U-shaped farm buildings here by the early 18th century, the wings facing east. The plot was leased to the artist Samuel Lines in 1820, a good date for the two-storey Regency pavilion shown here on mid 19th century drawings, and probably a rebuilding of the left hand wing of the U. The pavilion represents the ground and first floors of the present building.

The ground floor has a mid 19th century shopfront with attached Corinthian columns. In 1877 two storeys were added, the first floor refronted, and the narrow entrance bay built over a former passage. Almost certainly by George Ingall, who occupied the ground-floor office. Round-headed windows in straight-headed aedicules. Reconstructed with extra storey and attic by Edwin Hill & Partners, 1972.

Back