• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Impressive buildings in The Old Square. Looks like they are commercial offices but presume they might once have been family homes for the well to do.

percival is not listed at that shop (no 2 Frances Road/28 Lifford Lane) in Kellys in 1932, but is listed in 1921. the headlines on the newspaper boards read "dole gap to go" & Premier at League of nations" - not much use . /The Times archive does refer to the Dole Gap being reduced, in 1922 (from 5 weeks between new claims for unemployment insurance to 1 week), which might be the reference (the paper in the picture is the Gazette)

I'm not sure but think Wellingtons, but here is a better look

Frances_Road_and_Lifford_Lane_early_30sB.jpg

Hi Berniew,
This is the third time I tried to post a reply, First time I happened to touch my mouse, second time it kept saying that I had not signed in, anyway third time lucky.
Thanks for directing me onto that site, great pictures, loved the one of my old Icknield Street School Hall, also the one of Ellen Street, although it was of the Blitz, I also had one of my Schoolboy fights there, which encouraged me into Boxing at the 'Mint' before I went into the RAF.
Thanks again.
Brookieboy

Just found this pic (5) which shows Ken Sedgley motorcycles. I purchased a BSA Shooting Star from him in 1967. I still have it today.

HI GUYS
It was nice to see some of these old pict; on digital and alot of them i had seen on this site long years before they was hacked like pickford street and of brookie and surounding streets even the ickneld street bridge ;
its nice to know some one as got copies of our history of the forum and of our dear old brum so not all is lost in vain as the old expression used to go ;
keep them coming guys brilliant especialy for our forum best wishes Astonian

They come right up to his knees Viv.My gran used to say of the Tiller Girls and the Bluebell Girls, "their legs go all the way up to their bottoms, they didn't in my day." "Where did they go to then Gran?" I asked. "Only up to your knee", she said "and only then if he was lucky!"

Nico - Love your gran. :encouragement:

Desbunett......Don't quite know what you mean by picture (5) re Ken Sedgely Motor Cycles. but I attended an apprentices reunion at which Ken was present. This was in April 2013.

Last edited:
Back