• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Sorry the horseman statue question was for Oisin. I saw a band called Oissian once think thats how they spelt it.
Naah, the band are spelt the same cos they were named after me! :tranquillity: And, as far as I can see, my statue is still included on every post.
I'd also like to clarify that I was referring to Birmingham in my post, not Coventry. It seems the most recent developer went out with a goal to demolish every reminder of my the carefree days I spent in the 60s Brum.

Naah, the band are spelt the same cos they were named after me! :tranquillity: And, as far as I can see, my statue is still included on every post.
I'd also like to clarify that I was referring to Birmingham in my post, not Coventry. It seems the most recent developer went out with a goal to demolish every reminder of my the carefree days I spent in the 60s Brum.
Yes I know you were referring to Brum. I didn;t know old Brum I was too little except when we visited relatives. I read in a nove somewhere Oisin was linked to O'Sheehan, but it was a long time ago. Title along the lines of Keep it in the family. A black comedy/murder.

I went to Upper Thomas Street and lived in Clifton Road until about 1955. I am looking for information on the Gas Works in Satley .... and also trying to find out which school Mom would have gone to. She lived in Saltley. Any photos help appreciated.

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone remember Bristol Street South when they had long steps going upwards from the footpaths, across another footpath and down long steps to a variety of shops which if I remember right had low ceilings inside?
Brookieboy

Referring to post 2007, in the picture below, said to be 1870, the same buildings are still there but certainly look a lot more run down

hill_st_1870.jpg

Does anyone know what the nearest building is? It looks very imposing. I was wondering if it was a manufactory rather than a residential premises?

Hi cuppatea I have read that the Georgian and Regency Streets site is yours what a brilliant site you have there it's a credit to you

Jenni
In the 1868 directory there is Martineau & smith, brass cock founders, at no 65, but it is not clear if this is no 65. No 68 is a beer retailer , and none of the buildings higher up look like beer retailers, so this might be it

Hi Berniew,
Thanks for those photos, the Bristol Road South I was thinking of is quite near town, I think they would have been (before the development) opposite where The Ford Showroom is now, when I used to come back from cycling along the Bristol Road we would stop at these long lengthened steps and get a cold Ginger Beer (Home made) from one of these shops.
Brookieboy

Thanks for posting this photo.... It reminds me of when I used to play football in the space behind the building I was about 9 or 10 years old that would be 1954-5.. Many thanks Regards Pete

Presumably the rag sorters at Landor st were at Smith, Stone & Wright, the paper manufacturers. The Bournville houses would have been the first houses on the estate proper, as opposed to houses for key workers, which were built earlier. there were three pairs of hosues, and these were on the west side of Maryvale Road

Hi Berniew,
You are quite right, I had got the wrong end of the street,thanks for the photos, I would love to see one of those very long steps, mind you it was about the late forties when I cycled there.
Brookieboy

Bristol Street school stood on the corner of Irvine Street next to original St C atherines.jpgMight be your pavemenrt but not your shops Brookieboy corner of Bristol Street and Irving Street courtesy Digital Ladywood

Regrettably no! My memory keeps telling me that while the steps are long like those, there were about four or five steps ups a flat strip like a bit of pavement then about for or five steps down.
Thanks for trying for me.
Brookieboy

That photo of the Horsefair #2121 must be where the El Sombrero Coffee Bar was in the late 50's. I remember that pavement so well!

I wonder if two of those posts are old cannon from Trafalgar...with a cannon ball in the top.
Well spotted Rupert ! If old Brum followed London's lead then they might well be Russian cannon, captured in the Crimean war. (The muzzle was heated then an oversized ball was hammered in to render the cannon useless).

Thanks Mickeymoo! Two great pics. Those views bring back such happy memories of a time when I spent a great deal of time in the Sombrero!

Judy

Yes,I spent a few Saturday nights in there,often making a hasty exit when one of the numerous fights broke out ! Another hang out was "The Jungle" coffee bar down Snow Hill,can't find any pics. of that though !

Back