• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

...which raises the question; did it exist before '60s developments?
Yes, i can remember travelling through when the old Newtown was being demolished and seeing one of the older type of swinging boundary signs saying "Newtown".
I can recall this as i was travelling through as a young child with a Canadian relative and we pointed the sign out as to our location on the Bus and it's just one of those strange obscure events that stuck in me head:bi_polo:.
It was similar to this one..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/co-ophistory/3295405853/

Lyn, Absolutely brilliant pictures, Two are very familiar the one of Lodge Road, surely those shops are the 'Flats' at the bottom, if so that is where I had to go and do the family shopping. The other great photo is of the cafe in Snow Hill, I used to work above there, it was a subsidiary of Siemens where we used to make push button telephones for cinemas and other places for internal use, that was my last job before going into the RAF in 1946. next door to the cafe was a billiards hall, had to help move one the tables that had to be replaced, they were a 'bit heavy'
Brookieboy

Lyn How well I knew St Peters Place and St Martins place, I often walked down that passage way going from my sisters house in William St. on my way home to Brookfields, it used to be an Antiques shop, I mentioned awhile ago about that Victory Cafe in Snow Hill, what I have also remembered is that my wife's father used to work there after he had left the navy and before he became a Chef at Boots and other places.
Norman

Two superb photos Bernie. I know the statue survived on the Five Ways photo, but wonder what happened to the clock tower? Viv.

Loved the photo showing the Tivoli Cinema Bernie #1988, my Uncle, Percy Thompson, used to be the manager there. Think it would be in the 1930/40s.

Surely the Five Ways Clock Tower is still in situ at Five Ways, but slightly moved and now on Calthorpe Road?

Attachments

• Calthorpe rd.JPG
    Calthorpe rd.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 53
old farriers arms.jpgA series of pics of the Old Farriers Arms Lichfield street about 1880 from a site called Absent City I think will post the link next time I find it

#2007...Now that is hard to believe. A stunner if correct. Opposite the Town Hall in Victoria Square. That really is one of the great photo's on here. Never seen that one before. Can't be that much later than the 1850s I would'nt think. On the other corner would have been another Temperance hotel. There are people on that photo but the camera could not capture movement very well. There is a lady walking down the hill. Maybe Mike can identify something to go with the sign.

Referring to post 2007, in the picture below, said to be 1870, the same buildings are still there but certainly look a lot more run down

hill_st_1870.jpg

Back