• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford

Stechford isn't what it used to be but it's still quite a busy little place and isn't all bad, here's a picture i took earlier this year of the river Cole.yardley 133.jpg

That's the old Corpus Christi isn't it Bernie - post 30 - that was burnt down? Have some details somewhere of the fundraising and planning for the new church, dads family were heavily involved with the church.
Sue

Travelling from the Meadway on the bus, later her nifty sports car, with my wonderful Aunt Joan on our way to Repton Road, Bordesley Green, as we stopped at the crossroads by the police station, she delighted in telling me a witch lived in the first house on the right opposite. How relieved was I, when recently visiting my husband at Heartlands Hospital, to see it was gone. No more nightmares! Anne

Anne, that was a popular tale I think,the grandchildren of my aunts neighbours used to tell that tale, they were older than I was and I also used to be scared of walking past the house. In later years, my aunt said there was a lay who lived there whose husband had mysteriously vanished, she became reclusive and the story was that she had done away with him using witchcraft. I have no proof of any of this, only hearsay, but I'd love to know the true story.
Sue

Mmmm me too Sue, I used to go past in the late 60's, early 70's on my way to get the next bus to Metro Camell but I walked a little faster past that house. Took a deep breath and so relieved a few months ago when it wasn't there. My Aunt NEVER tried to frighten me, so must have been frightened herself. Bless her & Miss her xx Anne.

Same for me with my great aunts, they had so many stories to tell about Stechford and their lives, just wish I'd made notes, but as a child, thought they would be there forever!
Sue

I 'm sure your right Sue I have a a vague memory of it but there was a school as well I think .You knew how to live Derek

I have a picture i took the other week of some of the grander houses, this is Station Rd but just on the Yardley side...yardley 230.jpg

Someone in their wisdom turned a derelict council building into some decent flats, it's not all doom and gloom in Stechford!Stechford.jpg

Hi bernie, interesting picture. It looks like the opposite side of iron lane to parkinson. Cowan i'd say. Do you remember anewsagents about there where you sell your ciggy coupons and you could buy a fishing net for the pond or the river. pun. Regards nijinski

Hi Nijinsky

That's the same side of Iron Lane as Parkinson's (in Station Road of course!) . I think there was one more shop to the left of the picture
before Iron Lane starts.

I seem to remember that the newsagent's was pretty well opposite the end of Albert Road, and was called Cosgrove's.

Kind regards

Dave

Most of the big houses opposite the police station are flats now, they were wonderful houses, my great aunts lived at 331 and dad lived there from age 8. I used to stay with my aunts in the summer holidays, the house had a cellar which terrified me and the attics which I loved, so many trunks with clothes and pics in that sadly got thrown away when the aunts had to move to a ground floor warden controlled flat. The front bedroom had a dressing room attached to it, this was my room, you could watch the police station from it and the road, watch the No 11 going past. We used to walk up to the shops opposite the swimming baths, an electrical shop nd a shop which sold wool, sewing bits and clothes - I had a dress form there which I loved. Also in the village, the church, Corpus Christi, the aunts were very devout Catholics. Many happy memories of Stechford for me.And for dad when he was growing up - before Bordesley Green went through to the Meadway, he and his mate John used to have their den in the trees where the traffic lights are now.
Sue
Hi sue we we,re catholics aswell and use to go to corpus christi. Do you remember father corcoran? Do you remember they used to do bingo in ithink the church hall or school hall? My mother use to drag me up there. I remember the old police station before they built a new one. No character. I can still see the houses opposite the police station. Very stylish houses. Regards nijinski

Hi Nijinsky

That's the same side of Iron Lane as Parkinson's (in Station Road of course!) . I think there was one more shop to the left of the picture
before Iron Lane starts.

I seem to remember that the newsagent's was pretty well opposite the end of Albert Road, and was called Cosgrove's.

Kind regards

Dave
Hi dave, there was also a second hand shop there . Regards nijinski

I've just remembered dave there used to be a transport cafe there aswell with it' s frothy coffee and it's pinball machines. Regards nijinski

This is a shot i took and an older picture of the Yardley Arms, Yardley Fields Rd Stechford. It's rather grand looking, i suspect it hasn't always been a pub?
Yardley Fields Rd..jpgStechford Yardley Fields Rd The Yardley Arms (1).jpg

I've just remembered dave there used to be a transport cafe there aswell with it' s frothy coffee and it's pinball machines. Regards nijinski

[FONT=&amp]Hi Nijinski,

If you follow the link shown In Brumgum's Post 55, and look at the ninth picture, it shows
the cafe where it faces Station Road (opposite the newsagent's). The entrance was in
Albert Road, and the cafe was a favourite among the drivers of the old horse drawn
milk and bread and coal drays. I never went in there, but remember the horses with their nosebag on.
I particularly remember that where the horses stood the road always had a smooth crust of dung.

As an interesting aside, opposite the cafe in Albert Road was the old Levis Motorcycle works, with
the office just round the corner in Northcote Road. They stopped production of motorbikes around 1940,
but continued making compressors for several decades. I think it was in the 1970's that they had
considerable problems with people confusing their company with Levi's jeans. The problem was solved
by altering the spelling to Leviss. I believe they were also known as HEC Compressors.

Kind regards

Dave[/FONT]

Where exactly are the borders of Stechford? I have never been quite able to work it out, surely the Yardley Arms doesn't come under Stechford, does it?

Terry

Back