• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

looks like 9-14 Terry.Dek

Looks like you are right Dek. Plus, I reckon the woman standing in the first doorway is living at No 10. So the address is 10 Cheapside. Now all we need is someone with the electoral roll to find out her name. Anybody?

Terry

I have another photo that must have been taken at the same time that is tagged 10 Court Cheapside. It's either been taken at the same time or the previous one has been cropped.

Attachments

• Deritend Cheapside 10 Court.jpg
    Deritend Cheapside 10 Court.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 166
I have another photo that must have been taken at the same time that is tagged 10 Court Cheapside. It's either been taken at the same time or the previous one has been cropped.

It looks like the same picture Phil, but cropped. At least it confirms my guesswork of the address. Cheers

Terry

I think this is the best thread on the site. Absolutely terrific.

glad you are liking it bazz..certainly seems popular...our kid bought me a load more brum books round last night...nearly finished the decorating now so over the weekend i will go through them and see if i can find any more..

lyn

I spend hours browsing these great pics and wonder about the photographers taking pics such as the last two in #3 and those in #4.
Were the photos taken to show and highlight the very poor conditions families lived in ?
I can understand the pics dated in the 1960's, showing properties about to be swept away with large rebuilding schemes, and I can understand the pics in other threads showing large impressive City Centre buildings.
I often find myself looking at the people in the pics as much as looking at the buildings - the forlorn little boy in court 2 Tower St in his long coat looking at the camera and a girl just visible near the entry, and the two little urchins in the Arthur St pic playing with a chair near the lavatories.

I spend hours browsing these great pics and wonder about the photographers taking pics such as the last two in #3 and those in #4.
Were the photos taken to show and highlight the very poor conditions families lived in ?
I can understand the pics dated in the 1960's, showing properties about to be swept away with large rebuilding schemes, and I can understand the pics in other threads showing large impressive City Centre buildings.
I often find myself looking at the people in the pics as much as looking at the buildings - the forlorn little boy in court 2 Tower St in his long coat looking at the camera and a girl just visible near the entry, and the two little urchins in the Arthur St pic playing with a chair near the lavatories.

hi phil and yes some pics are so very sad to look at...weve come a long way since the days of living in such poor conditions...

lyn

Communication Row, as requested!
My ancestors lived there 1841-1851.

When my sister lived there in the late 50s most of the houses had gone. She was in the end block on the corner, There was a playground next door.
I have only just noticed on Google Earth that the trainl ine on the other side of the wall goes under the road.As a kid I knew their were trains on the otherside because I could hear them but what I could'nt understand is why the steam and smoke just appeared and disappeared. Now I know why.

hi frank and welcome to the forum...great to hear from someone else from villa st...i lived at no 118 from 58 to 72....i have posted lots of old pics of the street including one of the firmins factory under the villa st thread...if you have any problems locating it just let me know...
actually frank ive just looked at the thread and the photos are missing owing to the forum being hacked last year...later on i will start a new tidy thread for villa st and nursery road and repost all the pics that i have...when did you leave the street frank??

lyn

Last edited:
I was only there for about 4yrs, but I remember Pardon,s shop and being pushed up the gulley in an old red tin car by the lad who lived next door.We moved to bridge st west opposite Lucas,s about 4 housesfrom Grt King st then into Ventnor rd. We moved on a handcart

the gang.jpgHi dont know if ive done this right, hope so. this is a photo of some of us kids taken in 1952 in arthur terrace Hay Mills. Its the only photo i have of my time living there, i wonder if any one else has photos of arthur or redhill terrace?

What a brilliant thread I have downloaded some of the pictures of places my family lived to add to my family tree. Podgery thats a great photo allthe children look so happy...

Yes Wendy it is a Brill thread long may it go on
What a brilliant thread I have downloaded some of the pictures of places my family lived to add to my family tree. Podgery thats a great photo allthe children look so happy...

some smashing pics being posted folks...great reminder of days gone by..

frank i have been quite busy this week but i will try and repost some pics of villa st and nursery road asap for you..

lyn

I know this has been posted before but thought it would be nice to put it here. Heneage Street
Heanage_Street_1962_28229~0.jpg

Michaels aunt Ada and uncle Bill Bailey lived in Heneage Street. A lady on the forum remembers them. Bill was a giant of a man he was in the guards. They have a section in Witton cemetery where all the family graves are together.

Back