• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tyburn Road Bus Works

I watched with sadness the other day as a long section of the roof after having been cut was gently given a nudge the steelwork then fell to the earth in the same way a house brick does, I did video this and the plan is to put the footage onto the interweb one day

I spoke to the site manager Gary today and he told me there will be no expense spared in getting the coat of arms down safely. What will happen to it? there are no plans he said. I said my garden is just up the road and he said... we'll see

Attachments

• 33146050462_bee46afac3_o.jpg
    33146050462_bee46afac3_o.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I spoke to the site manager Gary today and he told me there will be no expense spared in getting the coat of arms down safely. What will happen to it? there are no plans he said. I said my garden is just up the road and he said... we'll see
thumbsup.gif

go yet it froth....:encouragement:

I hope you don't mind, but I have copied most of the photo's and put them on my facebook page, because quite a few of the old WMPTE engineers who worked there are still in contact with each other on facebook......

Have you got any old photos of the place aston lad ?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Last edited:
I did post them on here once under JKC, but it looks like they have all gone, I will try to locate them on one of my hard drives and repost them ......

Thanks aston lad. I will be taking more photos over the next weeks. They will be sad but I think it must be done for posterity.

Thanks for those great photos aston lad. Lots of different types of bus there, Fleetlines, Metrobus, Nationals and an Ailsa. Also notice a "standard" down the back which is interesting, possibly Daimler 3225. I agree Frothblower about the posterity photos.

Simon

Hi Chalcedony.My Cousin BRIAN KIRTON Know's ROY RILEY From Tyburn Road And Miller Street.Do You Still See Him?.Does Anyone Else On Here Remember BRIAN Also His Brother BILLY From The Machine Shop?

I cannot recall a Brian Kirton, remember Bill, he use to run from his house in Great Barr to Tyburn and back again some days, haven't spoken to him in years, but I do know he is still working within the company, Birmingham Central I think, and I have been told that he is retiring later on this year or early next....Roy Riley I think worked with Denis Gilman at Tyburn, tall bloke if I am thinking of the right person, due to my working hours I don't get to see any old faces from the works very often, just have to go on what others tell me .....

Hi Aston lad.Brian did say that Roy Riley worked with Dennis Gilman.Roy used to drive the big wagon with the axles etc on.He asked what your name is?Billy does still work within the company.

Brian wouldn't know me, I worked in the stores at Tyburn, then Walsall and now for my sin's Wolverhampton, along with a couple of ex Tyburn road men....Ian Murphy, John Clark and Dave Cornfield who is supposed to be retiring at the end of the month, plus one or two service support fitters that come to the garage every now and then, Steve Mountford, Steve Matthews, Tony Courtney, Bill sometime along with Alan Harris, but because I work late afternoons I don't get to see them....

If you are able to get to the first floor, the part of the building which is located at the top end of the building, it did have a lift to take up heavy items, take a look at the ceiling on your left if you use the stairs, I wrote my name on it in 1991 just before we moved out to go to Walsall, at that time it was being used as the clothing stores.....all that area top and bottom was used as the main stores for the company, it was moved from the bottom area of the works in 1987 after de-regualtion when they needed to expand the stores due to Walsall works closing down, then about 5 years later the closed Tyburn Road down and moved it to Walsall, then 2 years after that they closed it down completely .....

The old place is going fast...........
Thanks to Gary Williams the site manager for letting myself and templer take these photos.
he is just as sad as us to see the old place go.

Attachments

• 32918825870_07edcd3aac_o.jpg
    32918825870_07edcd3aac_o.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 33173511991_dc242b75ac_o.jpg
    33173511991_dc242b75ac_o.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 33260734226_b90347fa2b_o.jpg
    33260734226_b90347fa2b_o.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 33301528255_6c11b121bf_o.jpg
    33301528255_6c11b121bf_o.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I got the sound horn one and he promised to get the other and any others he may find.the coat of arms may be incorporated in the new car showroom

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

I can't see that happening - the coat of arms "belongs" to the corporation and cannot be used for unsolicited advertising.

I can't see that happening - the coat of arms "belongs" to the corporation and cannot be used for unsolicited advertising.

What ever happens Lloyd I'm determined to see the arms saved I've spent the last 10 years of my life trying.

Have you had permission to use your avatar Lloyd? :smug:

Last edited:
Any chance of me getting in there to add to the photos and footage I have of the demolition of Quinton, Digbeth, Leamington Spa Leicester LCT and Mid Red , Bilston St Wolverhampton, Washwood Heath, please, pretty please, all the shots I have so far are from the outside

The old place is going fast...........
Thanks to Gary Williams the site manager for letting myself and templer take these photos.
he is just as sad as us to see the old place go.

Sdc13340.jpg

Sdc13350.jpg

Sdc13349.jpg

Sdc13348.jpg

Back