• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tyburn Road Bus Works

I'm not going back myself horsencart, not much left of the old place. The site manager is going to tell me when they're going to take the main wall down. It got to be done on a Sunday because they have to close Tyburn road for the day. I will let you know, I will be videoing that day. I really do hope they get the coat of arms down safely

I don't find it so sad to be honest, the place itself wasn't very nice to work in, its the people who worked that makes the memories, I have some great and enjoyable memories from there, but would I like to have gone back there to work, not really....it was old and cold, uneven wooden floors etc......, it would be like asking us all to go back and live in the houses we were born in, nice to remember but we wouldn't want to change what we have now for what we had then, I wouldn't anyhow.....you got the photo's, past and present I think that is good enough, we have got to move forward, otherwise we would still be living in caves......gone but not forgotten.......

True statement aston lad, nothing lasts for ever.

Might be an old shed and a tatty garden but the sign has a good home...........

horn1.jpg

I bet they did not close the Tyburn road when they put the Coat of Arms in postion, I hope to go there today to get a few photos, that the plan

I don't find it so sad to be honest, the place itself wasn't very nice to work in, its the people who worked that makes the memories, I have some great and enjoyable memories from there, but would I like to have gone back there to work, not really....it was old and cold, uneven wooden floors etc......, it would be like asking us all to go back and live in the houses we were born in, nice to remember but we wouldn't want to change what we have now for what we had then, I wouldn't anyhow.....you got the photo's, past and present I think that is good enough, we have got to move forward, otherwise we would still be living in caves......gone but not forgotten.......

Can someone tell me the date of this notice salvaged from the Tyburn Bus Garage

With them prices I think 1980's

I would also say in the early to mid 1980's.........the works closed around 1993, so it won't be after that date, QUOTE=Frothblower;460049]Can someone tell me the date of this notice salvaged from the Tyburn Bus Garage

With them prices I think 1980's[/QUOTE]

Along the Cut today, and on the road

Attachments

• 3rd September 2012 Monday 010.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 010.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 014.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 014.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 018.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 018.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 024.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 024.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 025.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 025.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 22
Few more

Attachments

• 3rd September 2012 Monday 030.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 030.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 037.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 037.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 21
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 042.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 042.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 19
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 045.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 045.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 052.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 052.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 21
Last few

Attachments

• 3rd September 2012 Monday 056.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 056.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 061.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 061.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 3rd September 2012 Monday 067.jpg
    3rd September 2012 Monday 067.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 18
nice video bri...froth how old was the building..

lyn

It was built in 1922 I think.
I found out today off the site manager that the front wall of the building had a preservation order on it.It was removed in 2011 after the place was vandalised and made unsafe, and I think we all know who vandalised it.

Notes on the demolition of the building

One of the first things I have noted is that I was that most/all of the steelwork in the roof span is (at the time of typing there are still bits left) painted green as we know the colours of the Birmingham Corporation is Green, the other thing to note is that the demolition people did not get their way all of the time, while I was there (on the bank of the cut) I saw one of the machines trying to cut one of the roof steel girders, if a machine could grunt and groan then this machine would be grunting and groaning like a good un

No mater how hard it tried it could not slice its way through the steel girder, the after a short rest it tried again and again the steel girder would not be cut by now it was bent and twisted but still in one piece, then came the moment on the video that I shot you can see what looks like a small black cloud of dust? this was the moment of the death of the girder and the machine then lowered the steelwork slowly to the floor, (wipes eyes eyes with snot filled hanky) another machine at the other end of the steelwork then pushed what what left to the floor

There is not a great deal left of the building that ran along the canal and if you look from the bridge that goes over the canal into the building all that you can see are what looks like steel gravestones to the buses that have passed through the doors (one of my photos ) it will not be long before these go,

The chimney went the other day (possibly Thursday morning) sadly I was not at hand the witness this but the building that was underneath I did get photos and video of a part of its demise, if you walk past the former works on the Tyburn road side you would think that there was not a great deal happening but walk on the canal bank side and that is a very different story,

The footage I would like to get is the rescue of the Birmingham Coat of Arms, the rear of this can be seen (with the aid of a telephoto lens) from the canal bank,

horsencart Good to meet you the other day along the Cut, not much happened on Friday Dave

All being well I will be there with my boots blacked, the other thing of note is when will they rescue the Coat of Arms, I suspect that the people who are demolishing the building do not have the equipment to get it down in one piece?

The main wall will be coming down on Sunday 28 October. Tyburn road will be closed.

All being well I will be there with my boots blacked, the other thing of note is when will they rescue the Coat of Arms, I suspect that the people who are demolishing the building do not have the equipment to get it down in one piece?

The site manager tells me, he is waiting for a chap to arrive who knows about these things, to show him the best way to get it down.

All quiet while I called in along the Cut today at 1100, bit of concrete crunching

Attachments

• 13th September 2012 Thursday 012.jpg
    13th September 2012 Thursday 012.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 13th September 2012 Thursday 013.jpg
    13th September 2012 Thursday 013.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 25
The coat of arms will be brought up at a meet between Colliers and Sainsburys today.I do hope the meet goes well for it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Back