• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tyburn Road Bus Works

Why i ask mate is that, and dont laugh , the chimney on the WMPTE building in Wood Lane is listed and cant be pulled down !!! Max

Why i ask mate is that, and dont laugh , the chimney on the WMPTE building in Wood Lane is listed and cant be pulled down !!! Max

Strange - it does not appear on the list of listed buildings in Birmingham.

TRW opened in December 1929, replacing a facility in the former Midland Red depot in Tennant St, Ladywood, (taken over by the Corporation under the '1914 agreement' whereby services, vehicles premises and staff used for operation solely within the City boundaries were acquired by the City, leaving the remainder of the Midland Red to expand across the Midlands). Some bus work had been done at the tramway works in Miller St and Kyotts Lake Rd as well, but a growing motor omnibus fleet required a much expanded overhaul workshop premises.

Strange - it does not appear on the list of listed buildings in Birmingham.

TRW opened in December 1929, replacing a facility in the former Midland Red depot in Tennant St, Ladywood, (taken over by the Corporation under the '1914 agreement' whereby services, vehicles premises and staff used for operation solely within the City boundaries were acquired by the City, leaving the remainder of the Midland Red to expand across the Midlands). Some bus work had been done at the tramway works in Miller St and Kyotts Lake Rd as well, but a growing motor omnibus fleet required a much expanded overhaul workshop premises.
Strange But it appears on my list. Max

Ah, that is the council's list rather than the statutory one.

"Many councils, for example, Birmingham City Council, maintain a list of locally listed buildings as separate to the statutory list (and in addition to it). There is no statutory protection of a building or object on the local list. Councils hope that owners will recognise the merits of their properties and keep them unaltered if at all possible.
These grades are used by Birmingham:
Grade A - This is of statutory list quality. To be the subject of notification to English Heritage and/or the serving of a Building Preservation Notice if imminently threatened.
Grade B - Important in the city wide architectural or local street scene context, warranting positive efforts to ensure retention.
Grade C - Of significance in the local historical/vernacular context, including industrial archaeological features, and worthy of retention."

(From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_building)

so sadly, little or no protection. (Doubtless they'd have found a way of condemning it anyway, if it stood in the way of profit.)

Thanks for that list anyway, Max - more on it that the statutory one.

Actually, before Palletline demolished the offices, in my view the whole building should have been grade C listed under the council's system.

Thanks for that list anyway, Max - more on it that the statutory one.

Actually, before Palletline demolished the offices, in my view the whole building should have been grade C listed under the council's system.
No problem, the point now is the Chimney listed ? and is it attached to the building on Tyburn Rd

If it's the one in a couple of the pictures in post #66, then the nearest road is Wood Lane (the bridge over the canal bit) so that is the one referred to.
No, not staturally listed, just on the council's 'worthy of retention' list.

I really thought the place was listed because of the effort Palletline put in building the extension with the same bricks as the original building. They really did a good job.

I really thought the place was listed because of the effort Palletline put in building the extension with the same bricks as the original building. They really did a good job.

Chris i know you feel, really strongly about the buildings vas a hole , as this protest against the desruction of an Building that hold tremendous regard and appreciation for its building structure from many of the local people that worked there for its iconic and intrinsic Birmingham style of Building that was learned at the ankles of there farthers by the children went on to build other great Birmingham buildings that give us all our wonderful city scape as we cup our eager eyes and stare at what is OUR CITY glowing in the distance which is Our Town, the planners have to reconsider the destruction of this archetypal building loved by many, and not least OUR Proud coat of arms so long hidden by cheap tacky boarding. Think again Colliers before you condemn this fine building to rubble, but think from your heart if you contemplate destroying OUR COAT OF ARMS. Max

I received this email from the chief Executive of Collier motor group after I emailed the Sutton New Road Branch. I was well impressed.

Dear Mr Kilmister

Thank you for your email regarding the Palletline building and the coat of Arms. Our plans for the site have yet to be finalised and I cannot comment on them at this stage or make any commitments other than to say we will bear in mind the presence of the Coat of Arms and evaluate it in due course.

Kind regards

David Clark
Group Chief Executive
Collier Motor Group Limited

Well done Chris, a step in the right direction. Max

I received this email from the chief Executive of Collier motor group after I emailed the Sutton New Road Branch. I was well impressed.

Dear Mr Kilmister

Thank you for your email regarding the Palletline building and the coat of Arms. Our plans for the site have yet to be finalised and I cannot comment on them at this stage or make any commitments other than to say we will bear in mind the presence of the Coat of Arms and evaluate it in due course.

Kind regards

David Clark
Group Chief Executive
Collier Motor Group Limited

I emailed again asking whether I could go in and I got this reply. Nice that a man in his position will take the time to answer me:)

Dear Mr Kilmister

Thank you for your reply. I’m afraid that currently we are unable to arrange a look inside the building as we do not have access to it. Suffice to say that the building is a shell having been stripped out by Palletline when they vacated it some years ago and put it up for sale. I very much doubt it bears much resemblance to its time as a bus depot.

Kind regards

David Clark

well done for pursuing this froth:thumbsup: ive always thought that if we at least ask the questions and put pen to paper at least we are doing something about buildings we care for....ok so it looks like the depot is not as it was inside but i do hope that you keep up the pressure with regards to the coat of arms..please keep us informed..

lyn:)

well done for pursuing this froth:thumbsup: ive always thought that if we at least ask the questions and put pen to paper at least we are doing something about buildings we care for....ok so it looks like the depot is not as it was inside but i do hope that you keep up the pressure with regards to the coat of arms..please keep us informed..

lyn:)

Thanks Lyn. I will keep on the case but I don't want to push him to hard.

Bad news folks. The old Tyburn road bus garage is to be demolished within 12 weeks to be replaced by Colliers car showroom

They have started to dismantle the roof of the extension to the building that was built in about 2005? I suspect that it will not take them very long to demolish the rest, as another building that represents a part of Birmingham's transport history disappears, (takes out a snot filled hanky and dabs a tear stained eye)

Wipe the nasal excretia from your weary eye, my dear Horsencart. Once the vast cathedral of a works was cleared of workbenches and the ephemera of omnibus maintenance, and subsequently the office block at the western end removed and replaced by even more enclosed empty space, the heart was gone from TRW. The lettering from the front of the building is held in store by the good people of the (former) Aston Manor Transport Museum (now rehoused in Aldridge thanks to the [non] caring-for-history nature of the city's council) and the huge city coat-of-arms, still hidden behind a box on the upper frontage, would look nice in someone's garden if it could be lowered CAREFULLY to the ground and taken away. Doubtless a swinging demolition ball will see it off though. R.I.P. yet another piece of the Birmingham we knew and loved.

Back