• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Well I've never once heard them referred to as miskins Mike!! Now wondering why the caption refers to them as magic? Is this a link to Tolkein or am I over analysing?!! Viv.

The photographer may have taken this photo from Wheeler St. The flats in the background were built in the old gt russell st.
urbandecay-007-2.jpg

My parents always reffered to the bin as the "Miskin" and the drain was the "suff". The miskin men used to have to walk to where each miskin was located and empty it into a tin baby bath type of thing. They then lifted the tin bath up onto there own shoulder and walked back to the miskin lorry and emptied the tin bath into the lorry. Then they went onto the next miskin, they never left any mess and were always on time.
If our ball went into the drain and was resting on the grill (lid) of the drain, as we retrieved it our mom or dad used to shout "come out of that suff, youll catch the fever".

Yeah we always called them miskins. They mostly contained ashes from the fire I think...potato peelings...Not tea leaves. My dad had a small garden patch for these..for propogating worms..for fishing. No food was wasted in those days. The previous picture has, what I thought was a urinal in the centre of the road but I think it is a cabbies shelter whilst waiting for a fare. There used to be one outside the old old library in between it and the Town Hall. There are electric tram wires in the picture so it must have been 1910 or there abouts. The lines seem to be far apart.
Come to think of it, the central library would probably have been a key terminal for cabbies...takin rich folk what could read fer books. No movies or TV or any of this stuff... ter waste yer time on.

Now I think back we used to call them 'Dustmen' and if the bin was not too full they emptied it into a tin bath and round our way they carried them balanced on their heads. If the bin was full, they leaned it over slightly and rolled it on it's bottom edge to the dust cart. Some of them could do this with two bins at the same time.
I think Lonnie Donegan had a song 'My Old Man's a Dustman' !

OldMohawk.

Thank you so much for posting that picture of Upper Webster Street.

We lived at 'the back' somewhere in a courtyard.

When I think about how bad it was there it is hard to believe that such conditions existed and that houses like that, with a shared toilet in the courtyard, no bathroom or toilet and only a cold water tap at an old stone sink inside were deemed fit for habitation in my lifetime.:upset:

hi folks...such a nasty day so time for a few more piccies me thinks...

wheeler st/gerrard st..dated 1969

image.jpeg

taunton road/stoney lane balsall heath..dated 1966

image.jpeg

soho road handsworth dated..1968

image.jpeg

hawthorn road..kingstanding dated...1969

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
albion st/sheep st aston..dated 1968

image.jpeg

highgate road sparkbrook dated 1965..i was looking at the price of the cars on this one...you wouldnt get 4 wheels for that these days...

image.jpeg

holyhead road handsworth with the albion cinema on the left..dated 1961

image.jpeg

stratford road sparkhill...dated 1960

image.jpeg

clifford st looking down furnace lane..dated 1965..one of my favourites..

image.jpeg

soho road handsworth..dated 1962

image.jpeg

victoria road bordesley green...dated 1966

image.jpeg

devonshire st..winson green dated 1965

image.jpeg

hagley road 5 ways showing the grovensor hotel....dated 1965

image.jpeg

green lane small heath...dated 1967

image.jpeg

bull st city centre looking down from corporation st...dated 1961..how busy it looks

image.jpeg

Lyn
the taunton rd & soho rd just comeout as a red cross to me, and clicking on them does nothing

thats strange mike as i can see both ok...wonder if anyone else is having the same problem..

Re: Old Street Pics

They all look fine to me too and thanks for posting them a nice thought to brighten up such a horrible day, know we need the rain, but it's a bit depressing ain't it! By the way Hawthorn Road doesn't change a bit and nice to see all those people in Bull Street, imagine that is where Lewis' across to Rackhams was on the other side of the road, it was always busy on that corner where the traffic lights were.

Katie

hi katie glad you like the pics...nice to have them to look at on a dull day...im going back a decade next into the 50s...just sorting out the next batch for scanning...

lyn

here they come podgery...

stafford st/coleshill st..dated 1957

image.jpeg

coronation decs going up outside the lewis building corporation st..dated 1953

image.jpeg

middleton road kings heath...dated 1953

image.jpeg

conybere st highgate dated 1959

image.jpeg

six ways from hagley road...dated 1958

image.jpeg

love this one...bad weather causes hold ups along corporation st dated 1950

image.jpeg

church road yardley..dated 1958

image.jpeg

hockley st dated 1954

image.jpeg

high st erdington dated...1958...can anyone tell me if this building was demolished...i would guess so as anything worth saving usually is..

image.jpeg

mobile co op grocery van..quinton dated..1954

image.jpeg

hunters road hockley dated 1956..the lowering of the bridge..

image.jpeg

the last tram through the city centre dated 4th july 1953..steelhouse lane..

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 34
Back