• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

I have a few shots from this location, such as a shot of the post office tower through the inside of its open roof.
Will post them when I find the photographs out.

Finally for now, this is another shot taken from the opposite corner of the above pictures.saint pauls sq1.jpg
This is the side veaw, the face of the building is in Saint Paul's Square.
To give you an indication of its exact location...looking through the arches in the shot,it will take you to the beginning of Great Hampton Street towards the Hockley flyover if you turned left.. To the right of the arches looks towards Snow Hill.

Just found this one.
Great Barr Street near Garrison Lane, in the background is the old Sailors Return.1960's-1970.
Picture of my brother John with his Morris Minor outside Cannings...opposite would be the Kings Arms pub (Cranky franks)150. My brother John.jpg

It is Cannings pete..part of the factory lies on Little Bar Street, and that lies off Watery Lane.
Regards
redken

hi folks...time for a few more from me...just re scanned a few more pics that we lost..making a cuppa then i will be with you

lyn

tyburn road..erdington dated 1960

image.jpeg

great russell st..dated 1965

image.jpeg

albert road from park road aston..dated 1960s

image.jpeg

monument road/ledsam st ladywood....dated 1960

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
stafford st at ryder st..

image.jpeg

keeley st..bordesley dated..1966

image.jpeg

steelhouse lane..dated 1961

image.jpeg

clifton road..sparkbrook dated..1967

image.jpeg

albert st running upto high st city centre dated..1965

image.jpeg

worcester st..dated 1963

image.jpeg

berners st lozells dated..1966

image.jpeg

rear of wheeler st dated 1962..pretty sure its the joseph lucas factory in the background..

image.jpeg

camden st...

image.jpeg

ford st/lodge road hockley..

image.jpeg

highgate st dated...1960

image.jpeg

miller st newtown under demo..dated..1967

image.jpeg

ive left this one till last as it has to be a rare shot taken of the back of key hill hockley dated..1967..for some strange reason this one really does it for me...

image.jpeg

Great photos Lyn, Daffodil cafe, used to go in there quite often.
Stafford Street under the Star sign old gal s shop, every other day for a pint of sterra, pity no photos exist of the other direction,would show the sign shop where I spent 6 years of my life learning the trade,it was right opposite W. H. Price.

Rear of Wheeler Street 1962 -I like this photo - nice white sheets on the line - don't see it that much anymore -if at all! I think all the photos are great on here even though I don't know them and am not from the area - Well Done all!

hi susan yes i like the wheeler st pic as well...we dont get many photos of the backs of houses..

thanks john..yes W H PRICE have come along way since those days...as you know i worked for them in the early 70s down summer lane....

lyn

charlie and maggs i would love to know the exact location of the key hill photo...strange how some pics just grab you and we cant really explain why..ive got another one somewhere..posted it before but needs going on again..will try and find it..

lyn

this is the one i was talking about....just a solitary figure walking down an entry maybe coming home from the pub..looks like a ciggie box thrown on the floor..cant explain why this one fascinates me either...

entry leading to granville st...ladywood..

image.jpeg

Lyn that photo of yours #406, really takes me back to my old mates place in Ladywood early 60's so very much old Brumm.
paul

The Granville Road one is very atmospheric Lyn. Remeber "You're Never Alone With A Strand" advert?

Back