• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prefabs

Thanks for that Stars, really interesting. They look so well cared for as well, but obviously they're not.

Can someone help me please? I am trying to find out where Sun Street and Alfred Street were in Birmingham. They appear to no longer exist, but have found them on a census.

I remember pre-fabs in Witton Lodge Rd-COllege RD being built in late 40s .They were erected by Italian Prisoners of war

I was looking at these aerial photos to show were the Prefabs were built on the Perry Beeches Estate when I noticed some dark curved lines which
appear to be the planned route of the M6 motorway.

On AerialPF1 I've put a yellow arrow pointing at the Prefabs.
Another yellow arrow points at the dark curved route line which ends as a circle over the College Rd / Aldridge Rd junction.

AerialPF2 a yellow arrow points at the prefabs.

On Aerial 3 the dark curved route line crosses the Queslett Rd past St Margarets Hospital curving towards the site of Junction 7 on the M6.

The Prefabs took half the playfield, the M6 took the lot, and the pleasant open brook on the field was put through a concrete pipe.

AerialPF1
Aerial_PF_1.jpg

AerialPF2
Aerial_PF2.jpg

Aerial3
Aerial_3.jpg

it makes you realise just how countryfied, Birmingham was, as kid I played in fields and woods all day long yet just a 2d bus ride from the city centre.
paul

img215.jpg
I have no imformation with this one but I thouight someone might want to see it.

Hi Stitcher
great photo. I remember the prefabs well. I lived over that way and used walk my girlfriend (now my wife) up mackadown lane to her house in Lea Village.
have any more photo's of the Radleys, Sheldon heath rd or around that area.

Many thanks Stars

Hello Stars, I am going through all my papers and whatnots and if I come across any more I will post them.

Thanks for the Mackadown Lane one Stitcher, I went out briefly with a girl from one about 1965/66 while her boyfriend was away at University.:devilish:

My pleasure David I do not know what I might come across because recently a parent of a friend passed away and I was given some of these things and I am sorting through then as well as my own stuff.
I used to drive the 175 Midland Red single decker bus along The Radleys, as did Motorman Mike.
stitcher

img493.jpg
I have posted this picture simply because it shows a new prefab. I have no idea where the photo was taken but look at the happiness on the faces.
The caption merely says that a young soldier is welcomed home to a new family prefab after being away at war for four years.

Hello Sue, I have no idea because it is from a book WW2 documented and it does give the location of bombed buildings and the like but there is nothng about this picture other that the fact that prefabs were built to house returning servicemen whose womenfolk spent the war years living with their elders.

Like the photo stitcher, I don't know if other forum members knew anyone who lived in a prefab, we knew a few, we always considered them very lucky, as they were the height of luxury to us mere council house tenants with constant hot water, fridges, baths, and a sort of central heating, lovely little gardens laid out, and out-houses.
paul

My elder sister, well she is my step sister really but we were all but up to look on one another as brothers and sisters, lived in one for a few years in Fairlie Crescent Kings Norton. I was only a nipper and I can recall mom and dad saying how nice the prefab was for a couple with one child. My sister is now 91 and I am 72

Seeing the prefab pictures really took me back !

I had a paper round on the huge Druids lane/Bells lane estate.

The area is now called "Druids Heath", I understand. Different type of environment though.

Near here, in Crewe, there are prefabs which have had brick walls built up around the original skin.

The occupants love them.

Hello from Stoney Creek, I lived for many years at 1 Desford Avenue, Beeches Estate, these were prefabs just off the Beeches Road, I have a picture of some of my relatives on the avenue and will post it as soon as I can, I had many happy years there and now all is gone thanks to the M6 motorway.

Hello from Stoney Creek, I lived for many years at 1 Desford Avenue, Beeches Estate, these were prefabs just off the Beeches Road, I have a picture of some of my relatives on the avenue and will post it as soon as I can, I had many happy years there and now all is gone thanks to the M6 motorway.

I enjoy reading this thread. Very interesting. I remember when a child my parents took me to visit family friends. I don't remember where exactly, but Northfield way rings a bell???? Could have been one of these areas!
Prefab living must have been wonderful communities, situated in leafy healthy roads/suburbs.
All now overcome with concrete.
The original prefabs must be as golden as the original Butlins Chalet, except of course able to accomodate families long term! I would imagine they were very cosy and comfortable and being built during/& aftermath of war would provide a haven of safety and security.

I have posted this picture simply because it shows a new prefab.
Hi Stitch - It is a nice photo, the man in the photo was named and the story about it was shown in a link in an earlier post. There are some photos of similar prefabs there as well. The link to the earlier post is Here

oldmohawk

This is very interesting. I look forward to seeing a picture

This Birmingham prefab proves just how homely prefabs could be. Sorry, don't know where in Birmingham this was. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334959143.022707.jpg

Just back from 3 weeks in England, Went with my sister Joan one day to the Avoncroft Museum Lo and behold they have a PREFAB complete house there. NOT only that BUT is one of the ones that where on Moat Lane Yardley right across the street from where I grew up {If I ever did) in fact my first girl friend June Howell lived in one of the prefabs, The one they have is #85 Moat Lane, Yardley I lived at 126 Moat lane, Anyone have records to show if a HOWELL family lived on Moat Lane? Also by the Prefab is a old airraid warning device crank the handle and hear sounds that some of you will never want to hear again plus words from Winston and the Queen GREAT STUFF Worth a look near Bromsgrove, Also went to the RAF museum at Cosford have a ww2 house also with a sounds of the bombing sirens etc.lots of neat planes from all around the world and WW2 Rafs etc. alos worth a look, John Crump NOW back in Parker,Colorado USA with many happy memories

Thanks Mike They say you always remember your FIRST love and June Howell was just that, One of many? HUH! It would have been even more wonderfull if the Prefab at Avoncroft had been #83 not #85 wonder where #83 is? By the way at Avoncroft there is also a windmill in full working order well worth a look. Sorry I could not look any of you members up, but will my sisters tribe to visit we just did not have the time. Was quite a challenge to drive on the bloody right (LEFT) side to say the least, ask me how many times I got in the car looking for the steering wheel.DUH! John Crump Oldbrit Pareker, Co USA

I had a ride out to Avoncroft yesterday, took a few photos of the prefab, very much like the ones I remember around Birmingham.
_MG_9581.jpg_MG_9582.jpg_MG_9583.jpg_MG_9584.jpg_MG_9585.jpg

Back