• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prefabs

Hi Michael,

Colin is correct I think in his description of the location of the prefabs, not that I have that much knowledge of the location back then. I think the prefabs would have been where the new houses are in this photo.

Phil

VicarageRd.jpg

My step sister lived in a pre-fab in Farlie Crescent West Heath for quite a few years. It housed her, her husband and one son. I was only young but when we visited with Mom and Dad I remember it was always very clean and tidy, they seemed very comfortable there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this..Apologies if its been on before.

Sorry original image lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that pic col h...i remember these prefabs well as my aunt lived in tile cross...

thanks for your pic also ell...

We drove past a row of them a few weeks ago, they had brick cladding, I think we were driving from Witton around the back of Brookvale Road towards Stockland Green.

The prefabs near in Slade Road, Stockland Green were in fact demolished, and then a new house built on the site which was about the same size as the prefab.

Quite a sad loss in my opinion, the people who lived in them, loved them.

there is a garage called mayswood garage just outside henley in arden and he has got 2 or 3 that he bought from birmingham council and he uses them for storage and they still have got writing on with reference to the council!
phil

Thereis a cracking lot of these propertys up in turves green well looked after and tendered looking fabs
maintaned by the city of birmingham they are the orinional one they run around the back of long bridge rail way station and down to the cross rds of the old staple lodge rd but do not get confused with the ones on staple lodge rd because they are past there sell buy date
they are behind turves green rd
best wishes astonian

Hi
I came across this photo of the prefabs. I am sorry it is not a photo of them in better times, as you see they await demolition.
These prefabs were on the Walsal Rd Great bar
regards Stars

34808062_prefab1_Walsall_Rd_Great_Bar.jpg

Lovely photo Stars I know exactly where they were you can see the chimney of the Crem. in the background.Dek

Hi Dek carr
It is strange, you can look at a photo, then look later and you will see more the second time.
Regards Stars

Those were exactly the prefabs I was thinking of Stars. I visited one of them a few times, he was a policeman and lived there with his wife and family. They were so comfortable, I wanted to move in!
Sad to see them looking like that, but good to see them anyway. Thanks for posting.

Hi
I used to live over Sheldon way. They used to have them on one side of the radleys, all the way down to the Lucas factory By the bridge. Also down Mackadown Lane. Changed a bit there now.
Thank you for your comments.

regards Stars

I was in one a few weeks ago when we took my Grnachildren to the Building Museum at Avoncroft. I still wondered at how advanced they were compared to what most people were used to at that time. Built in lighting switches and sockets, etc etc.

My FIRST girl friend June Howell lived in pre fabs on Moat Lane in Yardley. They are long gone per Len. (Hope he is doing OK now) John Crump Parker.Co USA

l had an aunt and uncle live in a prefab in Yardley, late 40s early 50s can'nt remember just where but l do know it had a golf course at the back of it..to a kid from Aston.l really liked it and was greatly impressed what with indoor plumbing and a bathroom, l really thought how posh my rellies were to be living in such luxury,they had been bombed out in Lozells then lived in collage rd, which again thought that was nice but liked the prefab better...did'nt take much to impress a kid in those days.....Brenda

Hi
I came across this photo of the prefabs. I am sorry it is not a photo of them in better times, as you see they await demolition.
regards Stars

These prefabs were on the Perry Barr Park side of the Walsall road in between Church rd and the Crem/Rocky lane, I used to catch the 51 bus from here when I worked in town, most of the Prefabs looked well looked after.

Hi
regards Stars

BT home hub playing up so ended up double posting, sorry.

Last edited:
I seem to recall there were more prefabs higher up the Walsall Road, they were in a small side road going off the Walsall Road somewhere in between the canal and the turn off for Beeches Road. I think it was Gainsborough Avenue. They are not there now!

A girl in my year at senior school lived there after the family were moved out of Lozells (probably when they demolished some of the old streets there in the mid 60's)

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it.
Like the Vicar said, I can see both sides of the arguement.

A photo previously posted on the BHF of the Prefabs on the Beeches Estate Great Barr. I watched these prefabs being built on what were our play fields. The electricity Pylons were the same as visible in the second photo in the thread below:-
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...oad-kids-ww2-germans-on-our-play-field.10107/

Eventually the prefabs were demolished to make way for the M6 motorway.

Beeches_Estate_Prefabs.jpg

This photo was originally attached to post #58

Last edited:
We had a car accident in about 1966/7, at the junction of St Margarets Road and Bromford Lane and I'm sure it was a prefab that I was taken into for a drink and to wait for the police car to take me to my great aunts whilst my mom and brother went to hospital.It was lovely and warm and I can remember tinking how big it was.
Sue

Hi
I took these photo today. They are as someone else said still there on Wake Green Rd. While i was there i was talking to an elderly man and lady. I thought i would give you their vew of living in the prefabs. The man told me they had been given grade 2 listed building status. He said that is all very well but he felt they had been forgotten. They will not spend any money on them. In the past they did put a roof on one, but that leaked. There was a lorry pulled up one day and took a load of wood into an empty one, only to come back a few days later to collect the wood to take back, i asked the man what was wrong, he said it was to bigger job for him. I asked the man was he happy living there ? at which he replied, i came here for 6 months, that was in 1992, it is now 2011 and i am still here. If the council would spend some money on them they would be ok. He told me that these prefabs were built in 1944.

Regards Stars

SL381304.JPG
SL381305.JPG

Back