• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heaton

hi simon and welcome..this thread is about heaton st so to save going off topic if you need any family research help could you start a new thread under our surname interests section of the forum and we will see what we can find...if you give the thread the title of MAUD HEATON that will be fine

lyn
Oh, I'm so sorry. I saw Heaton Family Tree at the top of the page and clearly made the wrong assumption. Apologies.
 
hi simon sorry my fault as i thought the thread was under our streets section so i have deleted my last post and please carry on posting on this thread..silly me

lyn
 
There's reg. for a Maud Heaton Sep qtr 1886 Kings Norton, daughter of a Harry Heaton and Charlotte Ellen Baker. Living in Moseley in 1891 before moving to Bournemouth. Possibly married a Walter Edward Hancock.

Without having some info about yourself I can't connect her to you.
Baptism record for Maud at St George's church Edgbaston
1790589924860.png
 
You say she died in 1909 - do you know any details about the death?
She was in correspondence with my grandfather and nine months pregnant with his child. She was staying a hotel in France, presumably to be out of sight of gossips. The letters stop in March 1909 and a box with them, containing my grandfather's letters to her, is among the papers, with a stipulation on the outside saying they if she died the box should be burnt, untouched. It seems they were returned to him instead. As there is no sign of the child, our assumption is that she died in childbirth. It's quite the tragedy.
 
Maud's mother appears to have stayed in the Devon/Dorset area at least until 1921. In 1939 she is in Finstall, Worcestershire. She died 1 May 1940, leaving almost £3000. Executor was her brother.
 
I was hoping to find the connection to Vernon Road to be sure we had the right person.
The fact that her birth year was correct, that she was baptised in Edgbaston and that she divorced (we knew she'd been married before) seems to be fairly strong evidence, but I will see what else I can discover. Could you tell me where I might find the divorce documents? I would like to view them in full, and completely understand it would be hard work uploading everything here. There might be further clues.
 
The fact that her birth year was correct, that she was baptised in Edgbaston and that she divorced (we knew she'd been married before) seems to be fairly strong evidence, but I will see what else I can discover. Could you tell me where I might find the divorce documents? I would like to view them in full, and completely understand it would be hard work uploading everything here. There might be further clues.
I have asked the Local Studies folk at the central library if the Calthorpe Estate records say who lived at 14, Vernon Road at the time.
 
I have found them, thanks so much. I can also confirm this is definitely the lady we're looking for, as I'm informed the address in Bournemouth also appears in her letters.
 
That's great. Thanks for letting us know.
Do keep us posted as it is nice to follow through a story we have helped with.
 
Back
Top