• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Milk

1547736173543.png
Hi Viv - I remember those National Dried Milk tins very well - but can you recall the National Orange Juice that was supplied to new moms by the baby clinics? I remember it was very concentrated and I think you were meant to dilute it but I used to drink it neat - a very distinctive flavour I have never since come across - it was probably the reason for my only too frequent visits to the school dental clinic in Warstock Lane!
yes i loved the orange. but the codliver oil. yuk. mom had one of them horlicks mixers

Today at a market I picked up a Horlicks mixer. Think it's 1950s. It's a small, thin glass jug with a metal plunger. Does anyone remember using one of these ? I don't remember them at all. Did they come with the Horlicks or did you have to buy one especially ? Or maybe it was one of those items you saved up coupons and sent off for?

Mine's the same as the one below. Viv.
I have a very similar one of these that i use to froth the milk when making a cappuccino. Scandalous the price some places charge for a nice cappuccino. It only costs pennies to make one at home.:(

Today at a market I picked up a Horlicks mixer. Think it's 1950s. It's a small, thin glass jug with a metal plunger. Does anyone remember using one of these ? I don't remember them at all. Did they come with the Horlicks or did you have to buy one especially ? Or maybe it was one of those items you saved up coupons and sent off for?

Mine's the same as the one below. Viv.
I have a very similar one of these that i use to froth the milk when making a cappuccino. Scandalous the price some places charge for a nice cappuccino. It only costs pennies to make one at home.:(
yes i am still recovering from being charged £8 for one at costa services. off the a55 as posted before

But, as I always tell my moaning :) old friend, you're not just paying for a coffee you're paying for a nice place to sit and someone to prepare it for you and clean up after you. That pretty lady who serves you costs the company best part of £15 an hour to employ.

Surprised to learn that milk was being charged for in schools at 1penny a bottle (Daily Herald January 1928). This must have put it out of reach of many children. Viv

A26E009A-06AC-4948-9EF3-7A5AE9FE78E1.jpeg

You bought it separate and used it to mix and froth the Horlicks. I remember it was a pain the get Horlicks to dissolve in milk, as it was malt based and go quite lumpy. The mixer had little holes to break it up and improve the texture.
i bought the tablets. they dissolved when you sucked em

Milk vending machines. These two look very pleased with their little cartons of milk - January 1961. I remember these machines with that exact logo on them. Viv.
5C55147B-3F16-4B0A-AC38-F4A28FCB1206.jpeg

on the way home from fishishing, when. we was waiting for the 43 bus in the old square.dad bought me a carton. i loved the clonking noise as it was dispensed.

Attachments

• milk.jpg
    milk.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 8
we had one of these vending machines at the bottom of the ramp at the cincinattie works in erdington you could get milk and orange juce out of them as well kind regards sidwho

It was the Free School Milk Act of 1946 which gave free milk to children and students up to age 18.

Hi Radiorails,

I remember the small bottles of milk you used to get when I was at Infants school around 1957/8 complete with straw, I have to say I could never stand the stuff even to this day the smell & taste of it puts me off; ironically though I have it in Coffee but, milk by itself no thank you ugh!!

Lozellian.

Ah! Lozellian, you were just the kind of person that I liked at school. Didn't want their one-third pint bottle of milk so there was always spares available. :D

Last edited:
i posted once.about the school bully but cant find it
Well when i was milk monitor at elliot st i collected all the dregs and slops that was in the botles, and filled a bottle.and give it to the school bully. .i would like to say sorry. :joy::joy: But i am not.

I learnt to drive "helping the milkman", on an electric float the same as the 'Midland Counties' example on show at Wythall. His name was Bill and, to this day I remember the Registration - EOA 937.

Attachments

• MidLand Counties (3) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    MidLand Counties (3) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 11
  • MidLand Counties (5) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    MidLand Counties (5) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    116 KB · Views: 11
  • MidLand Counties (4) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    MidLand Counties (4) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 11
  • MidLand Counties (7) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    MidLand Counties (7) (FILEminimizer).JPG
    138 KB · Views: 10
you just made me smile.with this post. i had. friend who drove one. i saw him one day down stechford. he was crawling along. going back to the depot. his battery was very low. so i said i will give you a push,in my van. well off we went. i was pushing faster and faster. there was a very loud wining coming from the cart it was getting louder the faster i pushed, then there was a almighty bang and screeching of tyres. and smoke. i said you best call the depot.and scarper'd. the next time i saw him he said the motor had blown apart.

Ah! Lozellian, you were just the kind of person that I liked at school. Didn't want their one-third pint bottle of milk so there was always spares available. :D

Ah! Alan, there's always one mate ha ha, you're welcome I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Lozellian

Hi Viv - I remember those National Dried Milk tins very well - but can you recall the National Orange Juice that was supplied to new moms by the baby clinics? I remember it was very concentrated and I think you were meant to dilute it but I used to drink it neat - a very distinctive flavour I have never since come across - it was probably the reason for my only too frequent visits to the school dental clinic in Warstock Lane!

I remember those bottles of orange juice blue tops if memory serves me right , I used to take a nip out of the bottle whenever I could get my hands on a bottle, when my sister had given birth

Hi Radiorails,

I remember the small bottles of milk you used to get when I was at Infants school around 1957/8 complete with straw, I have to say I could never stand the stuff even to this day the smell & taste of it puts me off; ironically though I have it in Coffee but, milk by itself no thank you ugh!!

Lozellian.

Lozellian unlike you I couldn't get enough of it , if there was any absentees from the class , my arm was straight up if the teacher asked if anybody wanted the leftover bottles

i only liked school milk during the colder months...could not stand plain warm milk then and i still cant unless its hot choccie:)

Having milk at school that had been frozen from being outside in the cold and was then melted in front of an open fire to produce a horrible sickly warm liquid put me off it for life

i dont drink milk.now,i put it in my tea,in some , just down the road is 2000 cows,and a milkery.
it goes 10 miles by tanker to a creamery. then to the public.
there is also some one who milks sheep, yuk no thanks

Last edited:
Cod liver oil and malt! Loved it as a child until I was about 8 years old when it seemed to disappear.
Didn't see it again until I suffered a broken leg whilst serving in the Royal Marines in Arbroath. After sick leave I worked in the sickbay for a week or two,there was a large jar (about 2 pints) in the dispensary,it had all gone by the time I left.Yummy.

Until now I didn't know that shops that sold milk had, in the past, to be registered and inspected. This shop of R Reynolds in Manor Farm Road, Tyseley shows it has a registration plaque above the doorway, just like an outdoor/off-licence. It is registered milk shop #9304. Photo c1920. Viv.

Attachments

• CCF_005364 (2).jpg
    CCF_005364 (2).jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 10
  • CCF_005363 (2).jpg
    CCF_005363 (2).jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 10
Back