• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What music brings out your emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well phil i have just spent 10 mins tingling from top to toe and going goose bumpy with tears in my eyes...stunning video...i used to always go to the symphany hall for the st georges day concert until it was stopped...i shall now go and have a cup of tea and gather myself together :D

lyn

I second that emotion.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Land of Hope & Glory" and of course there is only one place to experience it being played and only one night of the year. I have had the privilege of experiencing this live twice in my life.

The other two instrumental pieces that will always grab my attention are "Il Silenzio" I prefer the version by Nin Rosso.

Then we have another trumpet solo by Ken Thorne, the theme tune from a rather second rate film "The Legions Last Patrol"

I included "Pomp & Circumstance" when I posted #104 Phil, there's no way I could not put "Land of Hope and Glory" on my list !
Our local garden centre plays music over its PA system. Last time I was there, Joan Baez, singing "Diamonds and Rust" came on. It stopped me in my tracks. God what a voice !

No.1 for me, but there would be others on the list, is the intermezzo from Cavalleria rusticana, by Mascagni. It was played, fifty-seven years ago, whilst my new bride and I were signing the Register at our wedding. We are still very much in love, but of course, love takes differing forms as the years pass by.

No.1 for me, but there would be others on the list, is the intermezzo from Cavalleria rusticana, by Mascagni. It was played, fifty-seven years ago, whilst my new bride and I were signing the Register at our wedding. We are still very much in love, but of course, love takes differing forms as the years pass by.
very nice

Ah, Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention. I like her singing "Crazy Man Michael" on their album Liege and Lief.
(Would i be right in thinking Dave Swarbrick has Brummy connections ?).
I don't think there's any connection with Birmingham maypolebaz, I believe he was born in New Malden and died in Aberystwyth in 2016. We went to the first Cropredy festival but, like every other festival it's too big, too loud and too expensive now.

That`s one of my favourites. Strange that it`s just a fill in between operas. I`m currently listening to Adagio for strings, beautiful but so sad.

I don't think there's any connection with Birmingham maypolebaz, I believe he was born in New Malden and died in Aberystwyth in 2016. We went to the first Cropredy festival but, like every other festival it's too big, too loud and too expensive now.
I cheated and looked on wicki.
He was born '41 in New Malden, right enough, then his family moved to Yorkshire. In the late 40s they moved to B'ham and Swarbrick was educated there.

Well Maypolebaz, I'm really pleased to hear that so thanks for finding it out. I followed your lead and saw that he attended Birmingham College of Art. Tick and a star for you then!!

It is surprising how any evangelical style churches have written words to the tune of Danny Boy.

Last edited:
And of course, there's the tearful version of Danny Boy in the film "Brassed Off" when Pete Postlethwaite's character is ill in hospital. RIP Pete. Great actor.

Maurice :cool:

Reminds me of when a lot of pubs had an old Joanna, Danny Boy a favourite song. Everything sounded so good after a few pints.
Not my singing ask my wife.
One of my favorite songs Dirty Old Town by Roger Whittaker, for some reason just makes me think of Birmingham.
I am sure it really is about a town in the north of England.

"Time after time" Miles Davis 1988, His first few bars pure and simple, from a very complex player. the master at work with Shaka Khan? (Maurice can you pull it up to share?)

John,

We have a problem there because the 1988 version with Shaka Khan is no longer there and the 1988 instrumental version is very very quiet. So here's a 1990 version which seems to be similar to many of his other versions. A lot of stuff has been removed, presumably for copyright reasons, so this is the best I can do for you and I don't have this amongst my collection either. I've also added the Cindy Lauper / Miles Davis version as I think she wrote the tune.

Last edited:
Alan
This got here accidentally, could not get rid of it, but no comment on the post sorry, but hey three more years and you'll catch up with me 60 years wed on Boxing Day, but very little music at our wedding in East Cornwall, go for it lad.
Bob
John,

We have a problem there because the 1988 version with Shaka Khan is no longer there and the 1988 instrumental version is very very quiet. So here's a 1990 version which seems to be similar to many of his other versions. A lot of stuff has been removed, presumably for copyright reasons, so this is the best I can do for you and I don't have this amongst my collection either. I've also added the Cindy Lauper / Miles Davis version as I think she wrote the tune.

Maurice
Thank you for these, of course Time after Time was the finale to Baz Lehrmann's Strictly Ballroom, superb film.

My own spine tinglers are Concierto de Aranjuz either by Miles or the Jim Hall version, Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy , the theme from Moonglow and any version of MacArthur Park, but particularly Maynard Fergusson's on Live at Jimmys. Two LP/CDs - The Swings to TV and Chico Hamilton in Hi-Fi. Happy days

Bob

Not my singing ask my wife.One of my favorite songs Dirty Old Town by Roger Whittaker, for some reason just makes me think of Birmingham.I am sure it really is about a town in the north of England.[QUOTE i like that song name sung by the .
:joy:
NICE

Last edited:
One for Bob. Actually the whole film of Picnic is on YouTube. I watched it a few months ago and it brought back memories of a long time ago. :) And Kim Novak looking good.

Maurice :)

Maurice
Thank you for these, of course Time after Time was the finale to Baz Lehrmann's Strictly Ballroom, superb film.

My own spine tinglers are Concierto de Aranjuz either by Miles or the Jim Hall version, Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy , the theme from Moonglow and any version of MacArthur Park, but particularly Maynard Fergusson's on Live at Jimmys. Two LP/CDs - The Swings to TV and Chico Hamilton in Hi-Fi. Happy days

Bob

I'm with you on Eva Cassidy, I've got her "Songbird" CD. It's so sad that she recorded it knowing that she was dying of cancer.
On a lighter note, and a Brummy connection - "Nights in White Satin" by the moody Blues. Love it.

One for Bob. Actually the whole film of Picnic is on YouTube. I watched it a few months ago and it brought back memories of a long time ago. :) And Kim Novak looking good.

Maurice :)

Thank you, I was in love with her for a long time. Now you've set my heart aflutter again.

Bob

Another for Bob. But you will have to click on the "Watch this video....."

Many thanks for that, just spent my lunch hour with him listening to the selections of his music from You tube. He seemed like a man who had fun with music. Never managed to see him when he lived in England. One other piece of music to make the hairs on he back of your neck stand up, the MJQ and Softley...
Bob

Bob,

Here we go then Bob. I think I attended all their Brum concerts until I left in 1961 and spent the whole of one lunchtime chatting to John Lewis in the Firebird on one of their visits. Great stuff!

John,

Thanks Maurice, I also tried to find it, thought you may have it in your collection. Great stuff spent hours listening to Miles.

I'm with you on Eva Cassidy, I've got her "Songbird" CD. It's so sad that she recorded it knowing that she was dying of cancer.
On a lighter note, and a Brummy connection - "Nights in White Satin" by the moody Blues. Love it.
nights in white satin.baz. there is a heartbeat episode about foot and mouth outbreak. that is so sad. it gives me goose.
bumps, i was there got the t shirt mate......
..........The five appeared as the Moody Blues for the first time in Birmingham in 1964. The name developed from a hoped-for sponsorship from the Mitchells & Butlers Brewery which failed to materialise, the band calling themselves both "The M Bs" and "The M B Five", and was also a subtle reference to the Duke Ellington song "Mood Indigo".[14] In an interview it was revealed that the band was named "Moody Blues" because Mike Pinder was interested in how music changes people's moods and due to the fact that the band was playing blues at the time.[14] Around this time the band were the resident group at the Carlton Ballroom, later to become rock music venue Mothers on Erdington High Street. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back