• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Street furniture

Apparently this former telephone box became a coffee booth back in mid summer 2015.
Back in the early 1950's I walked many times through Eden Place - after having satiated my interest in model aeroplanes etc. in Cherry Street - to catch one of the Dudley Road buses (B80 - B87) to visit relatives.
My principal memory of that time was of pavement chalk artists who were there.

Don't remember this 1970 road sign on Colmore Row (looking towards the Town Hall). Maybe it was temporary? If temporary, was it because of the Ring Road development? There seems to be a diversion to the right. Viv.

image.jpeg

I remember the diversion, but not the why. It could have been when Paradise Circus was being constructed.

Man painting sections on the Five Ways clock in 1948. Why? To remind people of the peak times of fuel consumption. Viv.

image.jpeg

Man painting sections on the Five Ways clock in 1948. Why? To remind people of the peak times of fuel consumption. Viv.

View attachment 111975
Wonderful picture, but please let us hope there are no Elfnsafety experts looking at it. It could be a good training exercise though....How many PUWER and LOLER breaches can you see. And don't forget HAUC -NRSWA would be involved. PUWER....Provision and use of Work equipment regulations, LOLER.......Lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations, HAUC.... The H stands for highways, the rest I cannot remember....NRSWA.....the new roads and Streetworks act which enforces HAUC. Now where's my hard hat (less than two years old of course) my own has an issue date of 1988, I ought to get a new one

Yesterday I attended a meeting arranged by the Victorian Society entitled " From Town to City -the Victorian Streetscape in Birmingham" at the Midland Institute. the meeting was somewhat hampered by a laptop/projector going to sleep after every two or three slides, which lessened the time available to the speakers, but the presentations are described below (at least what I could read of my scrawled notes written in the dark) :

1. Richard Cross, the Chamberlain "clique" and the politics of development in Victorian Birmingham by Prof. Roger Ward.
The ninteenth century produced an enormous increase in the city population of the UK, from 20% of the population in 1800 to 54% in 1860. This caused great upheavals, particularly in London, and resulted in large numbers of people living in slums under awful conditions, with inadequate facilities. The Tory party, which was in power under Disraeli thought it in their best interests (politically) to do something about this. The leader, Disraeli, couldn't really care a damn, but his Home Secretary, Richard Cross, introduced the Artisans' and Labourers' Dwellings Improvement Act 1875, which gave local authorities the power (if they wanted it) to compulsorily purchase areas regarded as slums, with compensation to the owners aided by especially low-interest rates from the government. these areas could then be redeveloped. In fact, as it was voluntary, only 10 towns out of 87 in England and Wales implemented the Act. Where it was implimented areas were often demolished, but adequate wrokers housing was not built on the site, and it was either left barren or factories constructed on the site. The original occupants either moved into a similar area nearby, not being able to afford newer housing (where it was provided), or reluctant to live under the conditions of charitable providers ( no alcohol, no late night visitors, churchgoing etc).
The major development that did occur and was implemented was in Birmingham, where a large area in the centre of the city, containing notorious places such as the Froggery and the Gullet was completely demolished and rebuilt, centred on the "boulivard" of Corporation St. However no (what would now be called) "social" housing was provided in that area, which was almost entirely devoted to commercial developments, theatres, cafes, bars, high-class shops etc, which would enhance the image of the city. In fact the area was not completely rebuilt till 1902, though clearing began in the 1870s. With regard to housing, it was stated that if any housing was included it would have to be flats, though none were built here.
A few small groups of houses were provided by the council, the first (I believe) being Wright St, Small Heath (demolished 1970s), and slightly alter the area around Lawrence St (again demolished 1970s), but, as with other towns, working class housing was sadly neglected in the areas demolished.

2. A Perambulation from Georgian town to Victorian city, by Stephen Hartland.#
This comprised a large number of slides, with accompanying comments, illustrating the development of the city, particularly with regard to the street contents and furniture. It showed the introduction of street lighting by gas, though it was pointed out, in New st, that the majority of gas lamps originally were outside places such as the Theatre Royal, the Town Hall and prominent places. He particularly remarked on the enormous lamp in Old Square (there is a picture somewhere on the forum). The statues were also shown beginning with the Nelson one, resplendent in the open space of the Bull Ring, but also others. Many were surrounded by four bollards, to protect them. they often looked like upturned cannon, and indeed the earlier ones were, though later ones merely took the same form. The Nelson statue had the upturned cannon, but welded on the top was a gaslamp. Water troughs for horse and fountains for humans were also shown. At Fiveways a horse trough was one side of a monument to Joseph Sturge with a fountain on the other side.
Allins House of Curiosities, which sold everything from stationary to stuffed animals, on the corner of Ann St was featured. This crenelated, turreted building always flew the union flag and was colloquially known as "The Flag" , so people would meet "Down by the Flag". The Council House replaced it both in position, and possibly also as a direction pointer. Railings were a feature of the time and the town. Nowadays they are usually black, but Georgian ones were gray, while Victorian ones were usually a shade of green, possibly trying to imitate the colour of oxidised brass. Occasionally these early colours can be seen where the paint was partially worn. an example was given on the railings at the General Hospital.

3.Public Conveniences - a necessary development in an urban street scape by David Eveleigh.

David admitted that, although an expert of domestic sanitary developments, his knowledge of public convenmiences, especially with regard to Birmingham, was more limited, He recalled an incident while recently attempting to photograph local items for this talk, when a man approached him and said "You know you can be arrested for that !", to which, being somewhat flustered and confused, David's reply was "Yes I suppose I could".
The start of the public convenience was the Great Exhibition of 1851. It was realised that with hundreds of thousands of people visiting London, there would be certain needs. George Jennings, who already ran a firm manufacturing sanitary ware and invented the flushing toilet, installed his "Monkey Closets" in retirement rooms in the exhibition, one set for men, one set for women. A fee of 1 (old)penny was charged for their use, which gave use of a clean seat, a towel, a comb and a shoe shine. this obviously gave rise to the well kn own phrase. 827280 people used the facility, and when the exhibition was moved to Sydenham the service was continued and made £1000 a year. shortly after he constructed the first underground convenience at The Royal Exchange.
Soon manufacturers, mainly in Scotland, began to manufacture the cast iron toilet we (or at least the older of us) are familiar with. David suggested that they were mainly aimed at the poorer community, as the better off could be assumed to be able to visit a shop or cafe, and that a survey of the positions of them in relationship to the area would be interesting (though it would have to include all, not just remaining ones). Most were quite ornamental, at least on the outside. They were designed for a range of numbers, from one to, in the case of a late early 20th century one ion Caversham) for over 20 (this is saved at the Chilton museum). They were initially more often just urinals, and women had to wait a little, by which time more conventional facilities were available. Some of the very early ones with not just urinals were based on a trough with multiple seats (not necessarily with partitions), water being sloshed down the trough and out to the sewer. Designs are shown (and it is suggested that more miserly councils used), that were dry and necessitated frequent emptying by nightsoil men. (David apologised for bringing this up just before lunch) These troughs did not seem to last very long however . The talk finished with slides of local cast iron conveniences, both extant and gone, including the very ornate one from AB Row, which apparently has been saved, but not yet reinstalled. (it is either at the Ironbridge Gorge or Black country museum, not sure which, did not note, but one of these). Also displayed from out of this area was a very ornate one at Blackboy hill, Bristol, which has recently been thoroughly restored to almost new condition on its original site by a firm (Dorothea Restorations if I read my writing correctly). It is good to know that people are doing something to preserve our heritage.

Another feature of city streets was the cab stand/shelter. This one c1900 on Moseley Village Green seems to be in the perfect setting. I know some shelters are still on the streets of London but are there any in Birmingham or have any been preserved? Viv.

image.jpeg

Nice picture viv, good question it will be intresting to see if any of our good old members turn up trumps
and i wold be very surprized if there are any best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Viv,

I remember the one in Moseley Village as I used to change buses there on my way to and from school. I left school in 1953 so I can't help you after that date. Lovely picture though! :)

And if I remember correctly, Zenas Webb's estate agency business used to be in that row of shops on the left. I was in the same class as his grandson, who was sadly knocked off his bicycle in Harare in 1960 and killed.

Maurice

I put this photo in the Clocks thread and it was thought that it was used by cabbies at Aston Cross.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/clocks.45336/page-6#post-566407

Last edited:
One thing I remember vividly about Moseley, which would possibly be around 1949/50, would be one Saturday evening after visiting relatives in the area. I had to walk to the 1A bus stop, at the junction Church Road/Wake Green Road, to get to Stratford Road for another bus to take me in the direction of my home.
It was a dry evening, with a full moon, and clouds were racing across the sky. It was quiet and eerie so I was pleased to see my 1A bus, one of the AEC RT type buses which were often seen on that route come around the corner.
Being young I found the experience quite memorable so much so that I can readily visualize it now some nearly seventy years later.

I too have doubts that any have survived from Birmingham streets. A key factor in deciding the position of shelters must have been the space available for the shelter. But demand for cabs at that location must also have been a key factor. So did the position of these shelters in time become tram stops - and later - bus stops? Were cab shelters marked on maps? Not sure I've ever seen one marked. Viv.

Is that a cab shelter or a circular cast iron urinal? It looks a bit like the latter to me, though ta that resolution it is not clear. Certainly they seem to have been marked on at least some occasions, but not named. the Moseley one is marked on the c1905 map below. There is no equivalent on the c1890 map. I suspect that they would have been named on the large scale 1:500 map, but do not have any of that scale at that time.

MAP C 1905 SHOWING CAB SHELTER UNNAMED.jpg

The original forum post states it is a cabbies shelter and the image source 'Library of Birmingham - Shoothill' says it is a cabbies shelter, but it is debatable when looking closely at the image.

Cab Shelter in Ratcliff Place
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...nickets-of-old-brum.33053/page-47#post-501518
Love the picture, but the optical illusions created by the cameraman are superb, a French gendarme booking the cab driver for seemingly towing away the cabbies hut and the horse appears to have plumes on its head...death of the cabstand!!! On a serious note can one of you geniuses or is it genii who have next years four year old to hand blow up the ,where the reins end (parallel to the lamp?

Bob

Bob

A very long legged horse. A Hackney horse maybe. I know several breeds have disappeared like the Yorkshire Coach Horse. Yet the Yorkshire Greys pull the Queen's state coach. The left hand rein seems to disappear over the cab the other seems to carry on up? I notice the horse can't fit in the stand. I suppose he would get a blanket hopefully.

I remember this Bundy clock outside the Gaumont cinema. The #33 is swinging past Lloyd House, then the Post & Mail building. But the buses used to stop (such as the #64- but not the #33) on the Lloyd Hse/Post &Mail side. So why was the Bundy right across on the other side of the road? I don't remember buses stopping on that side by the Gaumont (although I do remember this was a one- way system around here). Viv.

image.jpeg

You can just see the row of bus shelters on this photo - where the bus has pulled over p, behind the van. This whole area has since changed, Post and Mail building has gone, Gaumont has gone ....... Shame, the P&M building was one of the 'modern' buildings I liked. Photo must be around 1970/80s.

Viv.

image.jpeg

Outside Snow Hill station, this (1950s/60s ?) image has a wealth of street furniture; bus stops, green bus shelters, yellow litter bin, two street lamps without their fittings and a traffic sign with a red circle (maybe something to do with 'no waiting' ?). Viv.

image.jpeg

nice photo viv new one to me... reg 771 GOJ may date it a bit closer if someone could look it up for us

lyn

Back